Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Model 3: Is The Long Range Battery Worth It?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At $9,000 US, one of the pricier options for Model 3 is range. The Standard Range (SR) vehicle comes with 220 miles of EPA-rated range and a Long Range (LR) car has 310 miles. Is the long-range upgrade worth $9,000 for 90 more miles? Today, we’ll explore this question.

You need to understand your personal driving needs. If you’ll never use the additional 90 miles, you might as well save the money. If, however, you’ll use it or it would give you peace of mind and you can afford it, you should get the LR.

Faster Charging

In addition to the extra range, the LR will also charge faster when connected to Tesla’s High Power Wall Connector. The SR charges at a rate of 7.6 kW (about 30 miles per hour), whereas the LR charges at 9.6 kW (about 37 miles per hour). The slightly faster home charging is a nice add-on, but far from justifies the cost. The point of the LR is the additional range, let’s move to that aspect.

Battery Cost

I thought you said we were going to talk about range next; this is cost. Yes, I did. But the question we are asking is about value for money. So, let’s look at the cost value of what you’re getting.

The price of lithium-ion batteries has declined from an average of around $400 per kilowatt-hour (kWh) in 2012 (when the Model S was launched) to under $150 today. For comparison, GM says when buying batteries for the Chevy Bolt, they pay LG Chem about $145 per kWh. This is, of course, just for the battery cells, it does not include the packaging, cooling, installation… The final retail price for any finished goods would be far above the cost of the raw components, but this gives you a starting reference.

Although Tesla has not released specific pack sizes for the two vehicles, there have been leaks that have let us know the that the SR has about 50 kWh of capacity and the LR has 75 to 80 kWh. So let’s assume that the extra $9,000 buys you 30 kWh more capacity. That is a retail price of $300 per kWh. From this perspective, Tesla is not giving us a bargain, but there are other ways to look at this too.

It’s All About The Range

If you just look at the price of the car and the range, you can make a simple table of price per mile. Our table will have the Model 3 LR and SR as well as a few other EVs for comparison. Note, these are base prices (not including incentives). If you want to buy leather seats, or dual motors, that’s up to you, but including it here would complicate the table.

Screen-Shot-2017-10-06-at-9.43.11-AM.png

* The 2018 Leaf data is not final/official at the time of writing, this may need an update when final pricing and EPA results are published.

Looking at the range this way, the LR is the best per mile bargain in the bunch. Only the Model 3 SR and Chevy Bolt are even in the same category for dollars per mile category.

Summary

The car you’ll like best is the one that meets your needs and your budget. Make sure you understand your driving habits. Open Google Maps and plot out your regular drives. For your longer drives, open the Tesla Supercharger map and see if there are any Superchargers along the routes for your longer drives.

Sidebar: Margins & Upgrade Options

Tesla has to make money on each car they sell. These funds go towards building out the production capacity, charging infrastructure, and more. The no frills SR car should be as affordable as possible to allow as many customers into the 200-mile plus EV market as they can. One way to do this is to keep the profit margin on the base model of the car low and then offer compelling upgrades (with higher margins). This allows the company to have a blended margin that is above that of the base model while keeping the door open to more price-sensitive customers. Tesla is far from the only automaker to use this scheme and it is a win for both the company and customers.

TMC Member Patrick0101 is a solar and electric vehicle advocate who blogs at Cards With Cords

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing that hasn't been discussed in relation to range anxiety (which is mostly what we're discussing here) is that we are still in the _very_ early days of developing the EV market. I'm fairly certain when society started to convert from horses to gas driven cars that there was a similar amount of anxiety over whether or not the car would run out of fuel in the middle of nowhere where a horse would be able to keep going.
Looking at how much Telsa has invested in adding superchargers even over the last year it doesn't concern me at all that I might not be able to recharge in some future long road trip if I get a SR car. I'm certain, with more manufacturers jumping into the EV market, that charging stations will multiply (even if they are not Tesla owned) and that there will be options. If you consider that EVs are what we all will be driving and gas powered cars are going the way of the dodo, then there is a whole bunch of infrastructure that supports ICE vehicles that will need to find other ways to make money.
One other thing I just thought of, that may be a factor here is shared ride services and EVs replacing Taxis. I know this is not directly related to the discussion, but those kind of services are likely to drive more places to put in charging for EVs and therefore make it that on a long trip in a SR vehicle you will have plenty of options to charge up.
My conclusion is, look at your driving today when making your decision and also what your budget is (obviously). Don't worry to much about future stuff, its guaranteed to change. If I look at even 5 years ago, I was driving much more than I do today (as now I work from home), so while when I first thought about an EV, back in the early 2000's range was very much a consideration for me, now I don't care at all about it. I care about having an EV I can afford, that meets my needs today. That means I'm going for the SR version.

Cold temperatures are my biggest concern. I don't drive far but it isn't uncommon in the winter to be stuck in traffic for a few hours in a snow storm. I'm concerned about cold weather performance of the battery and running the heat on top of that...
This is my biggest concern as well.
I could probably go for the SR if I lived anywhere warmer but the northeast get very cold in the winter. That, and the fact that I drive ~ 60 miles a day for work, I have to opt for the LR.
It's a bit pricy but reading all the first hand experiences from S/X owners, it seems like the LR is worth the $.

Reactions: Patrick0101
This is my biggest concern as well.
I could probably go for the SR if I lived anywhere warmer but the northeast get very cold in the winter. That, and the fact that I drive ~ 60 miles a day for work, I have to opt for the LR.
It's a bit pricy but reading all the first hand experiences from S/X owners, it seems like the LR is worth the $.
I have lived in LI, Colorado is quite a bit colder.

My work commute is 90 miles, so I expect the SR model to have more than enough range for any one day and in mild temperatures I'll mange two trips. If I had to worry about sitting in traffic for hours on end I would keep an electric blanket in the car. In any case though, I don't think the heater would use much over 3 kW if that, so presuming that 60 miles takes about 20 kWh in the winter, that leaves 8 hours to heat the car.

Last edited:
When the price of the Long Range battery was announced I (like many others) thought it was overly expensive and was against purchasing it.

Upon reflection, I have made a 180 degree change. Why?

In the SF Bay Area, we have grown so accustom to seeing Tesla vehicles on the road and forget how amazing they are. It is incredible how much of a success the Model S has been given it was an all new ground-up design.

Tesla still needs consumers (who can afford to do so) to support their vision and products so the mission the company established almost 15 years ago can be fully realized. To me this requires paying a bit more for a Tesla knowing any profit will (in-part) go toward changing the automotive industry for the better.

Tesla's Mission Statement
Accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy. Tesla was founded in 2003 by a group of engineers in Silicon Valley who wanted to prove that electric cars could be better than gasoline-powered cars. With instant torque, incredible power, and zero emissions, Tesla’s products would be cars without compromise.

Last edited:
You (many of you) bring up points that I either didn't know, didn't think of, or didn't consider important. For me, either version of the Model 3 has fast enough acceleration, so I didn't consider it. However, this is the nice thing about sharing things in a community, you can get more perspectives. I could(should) rewrite this and include all the additional points brought up so far:
Faster acceleration, faster Supercharging, more degradation resistance, less range % impact for HVAC use, fewer SC stops during treks, potential resale impacts, charging considerations for renters or when borrowing a friend's 120V outlet... This would be much more complete.

In case you are really thinking about writing an update, HERE is a blog I wrote that covers several of those topics. It wasn't about the Model 3 SR versus LR; it was more comparing a short-range LEAF to a long-range Tesla. But it still has detail on several advantages to larger batteries that you might adapt to this Model 3-specific dilemma.

My work commute is 90 miles, so I expect the SR model to have more than enough range for any one day and in mild temperatures I'll mange two trips. If I had to worry about sitting in traffic for hours on end I would keep an electric blanket in the car. In any case though, I don't think the heater would use much over 3 kW if that, so presuming that 60 miles takes about 20 kWh in the winter, that leaves 8 hours to heat the car.
I was thinking the same way at first. In fact, my first choice was AWD for a few weeks. Then, I changed my mind to SR. The last few weeks, I'm more set on LR because I want to have this car for a long time and I've had a month or so to think about all the questionable factors of owning an electric car (degradation, cold temps, longer trips, range anxiety).

I can afford the LR. That's really why I'm getting it.

I was thinking the same way at first. In fact, my first choice was AWD for a few weeks. Then, I changed my mind to SR. The last few weeks, I'm more set on LR because I want to have this car for a long time and I've had a month or so to think about all the questionable factors of owning an electric car (degradation, cold temps, longer trips, range anxiety).
By nature I'm a buy and keep forever kind of guy ... but not when it comes to computers and related tech. They depreciate too quickly and improve too quickly. So in those cases I buy what satisfies me today and the near future. I gave up trying to future proof.

@jsmay311
What part of this arithmetic are you disagreeing with ?

You don't need to call out and respond to every "disagree", you know.

But if you must know, I think your "arithmetic" (as you put it) is too low and doesn't account for all the ways that increased vehicle weight reduces overall efficiency beyond rolling resistance.

Let's just leave it at that and not waste anymore space on this thread.

Reactions: Rich966 and Scott7
With degradation and loss of range due to cold weather the standard battery might not always be enough. We often drive to see friends that are almost 200 miles away. In bad conditions that might require a stop in the standard.

The biggest reason though is that the difference in travel time between standard and long range for our twice a year road trips is a few hours. Just using long range vs our gas car will add about an hour to our trip which I can deal with but not excited about. Adding four hours to it is unacceptable to us though.

At $9,000 US, one of the pricier options for Model 3 is range. The Standard Range (SR) vehicle comes with 220 miles of EPA-rated range and a Long Range (LR) car has 310 miles. Is the long-range upgrade worth $9,000 for 90 more miles? Today, we’ll explore this question. You need to understand your personal...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2017/10/06/model-3-is-the-long-range-battery-worth-it/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]
If i can get Ludacrous speed without it i would not go for 9k
At $9,000 US, one of the pricier options for Model 3 is range. The Standard Range (SR) vehicle comes with 220 miles of EPA-rated range and a Long Range (LR) car has 310 miles. Is the long-range upgrade worth $9,000 for 90 more miles? Today, we’ll explore this question. You need to understand your personal...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2017/10/06/model-3-is-the-long-range-battery-worth-it/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]
Ifi can have Ludacrous speed without it i would not go for 9k

Let me be the one dissenting opinion here, at least for my particular situation. Which I bet speaks for a few thousand people anyway and can be summed up as follows:

1) 90% of the time I drive less than 20 miles per day. / 95% of the time I drive under 50 miles a day
2) I will be charging at home
3) I don't have unlimited finances

No judgment to the rest of you guys on how you want to blow your own 50k, this being the most expensive car I've ever owned I'd prefer to get the interior upgrade package and AP, much more than the long range which might be advantageous 1-2 weeks per year max. Not even necessary mind you, just a nice to have if I decide to take it on an out of state road trip.

I made a similar value judgement 2 years ago and 30K miles ago when I chose my Model S 70D.

You are 100% correct - in daily driving, and charging at home, you will never notice the difference, except maybe when you get your bank statement. ;-)

I have done several long trips - as much as 3,500 .

The 240 mile EPA range on my 70D is not much more that the M3 with the smaller battery. In the early days, especially in winter, there were a few times that long trips took a lot of planning, but since the number of superchargers, and the distance between them is improving, the only thing that you lose is a littleof your time charging .

If you get better at planning your trip and can avoid charging above 80% SOC, the delay is small. If you can live with a little delay, you can avoid spending the extra $$.