Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 isofix, do you use inserts, or just squeeze between the cushions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Youngest has just moved up seat size, and we have bought a cybex with isofix connectors, her brothers doesn't have this.

On the other car (VW Tiguan) it has platic moulds and you can see the bar where it attaches, but in the Tesla it just has the buttons to show where you have lift the cushion.

The seat came with two plastic moulds which I could put in so there is an opening, or is there Tesla specific ones, and the interior is white?

Thanks

Jim

Reactions: Irata
Good question and answer... I forgot about this until now and I am in the same situation.

The booklet that comes with our child seats shows those plastic moulds are to offer protection to the seats and ease installation. If they fit, I might be tempted to use them as our child seats are moved about and I worry the metal isofix clips could damage the seat.

Reactions: j1mgg
I personally use the inserts, however, I doubt you will damage the seat by not using them. You only have a bit of metal or plastic touching the seat material and properly installed they don’t move, so there should be no propensity for rubbing.

For damage, I was more thinking when constantly moving the seats between different cars. Especially with kids nagging and the usual stresses of getting them ready.

Likewise, i can't see damage when just left installed and never moved between cars.

Do the plastic inserts come with the car or do you have to purchase them?

When we test drove the M3 we took our joie 360 spin and it took about 20 mins to install and 3 people from the garage to get it out. I have swapped the seat between our two current cars regularly with no issues at all using the isofix inserts already installed in the car

New Do the plastic inserts come with the car or do you have to purchase them?

Mine came with the child seats, all mine are Britax and they came included.

But just now I searched for "isofix insertion aid" on Amazon and they are sold separately. They are not specific to any particular brand. I'm sure other makes are available.

if you're brave enough to have white interior with kids, you're brave enough to use the isofix points through the seats.

still waiting on my M3 so can't comment on this car but generally have never had a problem fixing them that way. Had VWs and their fixing points are the easiest I've come across

Reactions: j1mgg and twlr
We have a Cybex car seat that came with inserts, have used them most of the time as it just makes it a little easier to see where to push the connectors in but can do it without them.
We’ve got the black interior and haven’t noticed any damage to the seat yet in the past 5 weeks that we’ve been using it.

Also you can leave the inserts in if you are swapping to the other car frequently, they hook around the isofix bar so can be left there, can’t really feel them if sitting in the back either.

Reactions: j1mgg
I've tried having the isofix attached with and without the inserts and I much prefer with.

It makes it much easier to attach the car seat with it in place. Like others I also feel it would help protect the seat from damage.

Watch out for damage around the ISOFIX connections

ED6579E8-4B1C-4342-9A78-CC5C317FEE38.jpeg

Thread: Child Seat Indents