Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 key fob finally coming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My phone key has been so reliable that I think having a FOB in my pocket would actually annoy me more than anything. Before my phone key was active, the card worked fantastic through my wallet. I guess it's a nice-to-have for people with older phones, or a habit of installing a bunch of software onto their devices that abuse sensors and bluetooth, but for me I'd just take the battery out and put it in a drawer to collect dust.

My phone key has been so reliable that I think having a FOB in my pocket would actually annoy me more than anything. Before my phone key was active, the card worked fantastic through my wallet. I guess it's a nice-to-have for people with older phones, or a habit of installing a bunch of software onto their devices that abuse sensors and bluetooth, but for me I'd just take the battery out and put it in a drawer to collect dust.

It's strange, initially my iPhone key was flawless but in the last couple of months it got really flakey - more often than not I'd walk up to my car, pull the handle then stand like an idiot unable to get in. I'd have to dig my phone out, open the app and press the tiny unlock button. Crappy. v9 seems to have improved reliability a lot but I'm still wary now I know it can stop working reliably. It's a pity because it's great when it works.

Reactions: DrDabbles
I'm mainly interested in the fob so I can use summon getting the car in and out of the garage. Maybe once I try it I'll realize it's easier just to do it myself (like with auto park), but since it is part of EAP I'm interested.

Hopefully for Canadians the fob will be included for those that bought EAP since it should be included into the price we paid for the whole feature.

Who knows though. If the fobs are 125 usd each I guess I'll never find out what summon works like....

It's strange, initially my iPhone key was flawless but in the last couple of months it got really flakey - more often than not I'd walk up to my car, pull the handle then stand like an idiot unable to get in. I'd have to dig my phone out, open the app and press the tiny unlock button. Crappy. v9 seems to have improved reliability a lot but I'm still wary now I know it can stop working reliably. It's a pity because it's great when it works.

Interesting. I set the Tesla app to not be in battery optimized mode (Android, not sure what iOS equiv. would be) so it doesn't close or stop using BLE. That seems to have worked, and so far so good. I still carry the card with me in my wallet though. Phones break and crash.

I'm mainly interested in the fob so I can use summon getting the car in and out of the garage. Maybe once I try it I'll realize it's easier just to do it myself (like with auto park), but since it is part of EAP I'm interested.

Hopefully for Canadians the fob will be included for those that bought EAP since it should be included into the price we paid for the whole feature.

Who knows though. If the fobs are 125 usd each I guess I'll never find out what summon works like....

I haven't even bothered to use Summon. It's a bit of a gimmick to me until I need to clean snow off it and I'm not wearing boots. :D I know you know what I mean there.

It's interesting that Canada effectively requires the FOB which uses the same BLE mechanism rather than a phone, but that's legislation for you.

The key fob is free.

Besides getting one with a car purchase, do you have any information you can share that says people that already own can choose to get a fob for free?
Tesla themselves said it. Just google “Model 3 Key fob free” if you don’t believe me. Once available in the future, all new owners get one when taking delivery. Current owners can request one, at no extra cost, once it’s available. Once the Key fobs got leaked through tesla filing it with the FCC it was common knowledge that it was free because Tesla confirmed it, I don’t know how you guys missed the memo.

Tesla themselves said it. Just google “Model 3 Key fob free” if you don’t believe me. Once available in the future, all new owners get one when taking delivery. Current owners can request one, at no extra cost, once it’s available. Once the Key fobs got leaked through tesla filing it with the FCC it was common knowledge that it was free because Tesla confirmed it, I don’t know how you guys missed the memo.

It's not that I don't believe you, it's that I didn't see a link in your post, and I don't care enough about the fob personally to search. :D

The best I've found so far was an inside EVs story saying Tesla confirmed existing owners can request a fob and it'll be free. So for those that want one, that's great. And for those of us that don't, it's also great to know one won't just show up some day.

It's not that I don't believe you, it's that I didn't see a link in your post, and I don't care enough about the fob personally to search. :D

The best I've found so far was an inside EVs story saying Tesla confirmed existing owners can request a fob and it'll be free. So for those that want one, that's great. And for those of us that don't, it's also great to know one won't just show up some day.
Yeah I just thought people knew about it by now that’s my fault. And yeah exactly. I’m going to grab one since it’s free, but just keep it at home since I’m so used to using my phone. Maybe use the key fob for valet or when letting someone borrow your car. I think that would be better instead of handing them the key card and then trying to explain how it works.

I do remember talk about the fob being free, but this was in the article linked above:

"Price and availability for the wider fleet are still unclear. Tesla declined to comment.

For Model S and Model X, the price of a replacement key fob has changed over the years, but we have most recently heard owners being quoted between $125 and $140 per replacement key."