Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 key fob finally coming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone here used a Oneplus 6 as the key? Can you report back on the success rate? I'm looking to upgrade and it has Bluetooth 5.0 which I'm sure will help (mine is 4.1 and terrible) but would be nice to know first hand.

Thanks
I use a OnePlus 5 which also has BT 5.0 and it works about 80% of the time. It's the last 20% that's annoying (i.e. I need to take the phone out of my pocket, open the Tesla app, and tap the unlock icon).

• Helpful
Reactions: Falkirk
I notice whenever walk away lock activated and if I go back to the car immediately to unlock it, it doesn’t unlock or it takes 5-10 seconds to unlock
Anyone experiencing that?
It’s probably an unusual behaviour to open the door immediately after walking away from it so Tesla programmed it in such a way where it goes to sleep or contacts the servers or does something. You opening the door is cancelling it and then waking back up. What I said could be pure bs because I don’t 100% know the inner workings but I’d assume it’s something like that

(I skipped some posts on the thread, so my apologies if this is repetitive).

Phone: Google Pixel XL, Android 9.0
Car: Model 3 LR RWD

What I've noticed is that unless my phone is unlocked, the car usually doesn't pick it up quickly at all. So I typically pull my phone out of my pocket, and unlock it (fortunately I'm using the fingerprint sensor for this, so it's at least pretty quick). Then, about 80-90% of the time, the car will see the phone immediately. My wife's phone (a BlackBerry Android-based device) has more trouble than my Pixel though. I haven't done much diagnosis with it yet to see if the same "solutions" work for it as do for mine.

I've also noticed that the Tesla app on the phone may show "Connected" under the key section, and the car may still not recognize it (at least for some time). And, as others have said, sometimes you have to wait (especially if you walk away and come back quickly).

I've also noticed other strange issues as follows:
  • I can unlock the trunk, then walk to the drivers door and look like an idiot holding the handle for 10-25 seconds, or until I get my phone out -- I have verified that I cannot unlock the trunk without the phone though -- so clearly the car is detecting it correctly for the trunk, but not the driver's door.
  • Sometimes I can unlock the door using the phone (either by proximity, or explicitly using the BT connection, not the cellular data connection), and then I cannot start the car until I mess with the phone and the car for 10-30 seconds. (The car prompts for key card).
I also strongly suspect that while the phone is locked, it's not sending the BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) "pings" to the car -- and hence when I unlock the phone, it "wakes up" and sends pings almost immediately. I have not made any attempt to verify this technically, but that is my suspicion.

I haven't had the time yet to start documenting all this properly, and then harassing Tesla for hours (or more like waiting on hold for hours to talk to someone who knows mostly less about the car than I do, but has minimal access to diagnostic logs, that largely don't tell them enough) to get it looked at in more detail.

I do always carry my card in my pocket just in case...although fortunately I rarely have to use it (although sometimes I use it out of frustration and to avoid getting my phone out, like when it's raining).

Reactions: Falkirk
I would love to know why it's always Android. Perhaps all the programmers at Tesla use iPhones... Sure would have been great if they could have gotten all Smart Phones and Watches to behave as keys. Though I always wondered what I would do with my 30-year-old Model 3... I'd have to find an old iPhone to get into the car. So maybe I am just as glad to get a real fob for the long haul.

-Randy

For Android folks who has issue unlocking occasionally, you may want to try this if you haven't. With the v9 software and this setting, I have been able to get unlocked with the phone in my pocket the past week with no issue. Different version of Android may be slightly different, I'm on 8.0, but here goes
1. Gear icon on notification bar
2. Device Maintenance
3. (let it scan) tap Battery
4. scroll to bottom of screen, tap "Unmonitored apps"
5. Add the Tesla app if it's not already there (I know some may have it already, for me it was not there).

This is supposed to stop Android from forcing the Tesla app to go to sleep mode (hence you have to launch to wake it). I got from having to take out my phone and launch the app to unlock door at least 30% of the time which is the biggest pain of the M3, to so far 100% success rate. With v9 at least for me, the combination has been flawless, hope I don't jinx it.

On another note, may also use the Tasker app and "Tasker Plugin for Tesla" , which allows to create shortcut so opening frunk or other actions like starting AC becomes a one tap on the phone (or can even automate certain task to trigger, but this is a whole another topic).

Reactions: Koflach
That is a good point. I know people always say you shouldn't get a manufacturers logo on your keychain as thieves will know which car to look for in the parking lot. I should probably remove the photo of the Kettleman Supercharger at sunset from my phones lock screen.

-Randy

• Funny
Reactions: mociaf9
I personally close the Tesla App in case if my phone is ever stolen. Easy to open it before going to the car.

Well, there's a trade off between security and convenience... for the most part, I choose convenience.

However, for the sake of security, I do turn off BT sometimes when the car is parked outside and the phone + me are inside within range, but that's rare.

.... I should probably remove the photo of the Kettleman Supercharger at sunset from my phones lock screen.

-Randy

LOL

Reactions: Techniques
Did anyone inquire about getting the fob now that 42.2 is out?

Yes, inquiry yielded the following from Tesla:
The key fob for the Model 3 will be USD $175 at current plan, the same as for the S/X, and not free for current Model 3 owners as suggested/rumoured previously. It's not available to order just yet, but is expected to be announced for ordering before the end of the year, at which point the price may change. It will be available for pickup at the local service centers as the fob will need to be programmed to the car by service.

The key fob for the Model 3 will be USD $175 at current plan, the same as for the S/X, and not free for current Model 3 owners as suggested/rumoured previously. It's not available to order just yet, but is expected to be announced for ordering before the end of the year, at which point the price may change. It will be available for pickup at the local service centers as the fob will need to be programmed to the car by service.

So about $230 CAD. Without the fob, those of us with EAP can’t use Summon.

Reactions: PAWilson
Yeah not happy about that news of potentially being charged since I ordered EAP and FSD :mad:. This hasn't been a great month now that the M3 is cheaper than when I previously ordered it.

Update: My Sales Advisor doesn't have any info or pricing on FOBs.

Last edited:
Not cool. Isn't the 175 for S/X the price for a replacement FOB? Hope there was a bit of miscommunication there, which wouldn't be surprising since it's tesla. But as I said earlier, if the fob costs that much and you don't get summon which was paid for as part of EAP I think that's just wrong.

At the very least they should offer 1 FOB at a heavy discount, since S/X come with 2 FOBs each I assume.