Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Key Fob is here: $150

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i really wish people would stop with this "my phone works 100% of the time" nonsense. from the number of people having issues with all different types of phones and operating systems, i refuse to believe that there is anyone it's working for 100% of the time as intended (and if you have to stand there even once with the handle pushed in waiting for the door to open, that is NOT working as intended).

I know some people have had issues but I never have, I can only speak for myself. I had a galaxy 8 when I first got the car and then got an iphone XS last month. I have just over 5k miles and almost 4 months with the car. I have never walked up to the car with my phone in my pocket and not had the door open when I tried.

Reactions: hacer and BobAbooey
I know some people have had issues but I never have, I can only speak for myself. I had a galaxy 8 when I first got the car and then got an iphone XS last month. I have just over 5k miles and almost 4 months with the car. I have never walked up to the car with my phone in my pocket and not had the door open when I tried.
I have a similar experience. In six months I've probably had to pull out the card five times. That said, there IS a scenario that sometimes occurs very early in the morning. If I go out to the car at say 04:30-05:00 and pull the handle, sometimes if doesn't open immediately. I can hear a click in the car and about 10 seconds later the handle works find and I drive away. I THINK the car is in some type of deep sleep and an internal component has to wake up.

But, does that scenario NEVER happen to you? It would be odd if that wasn't some function (or bug) that applied to all cars and I can't imagine some phones do it but others don't as I think it's more related to how the CAR is functioning and not the phone.

Reactions: Pueo and GSP

it is supposed to be instant - you walk up and press the handle, and the door opens. you have never once had to stand there holding the door handle open and wait even a second or two for the car to unlock and let you in? i know we have seen people with new iphones here who are still having issues, so i want to know what kind of unicorn setup you have going on that it literally is working flawlessly 100% of the time...also, while we're at it, please email tesla support and ask them to pull logs from your car and offer them any relevant logs from your phone so they can see what's going on too and make it work for all of us.

I have a similar experience. In six months I've probably had to pull out the card five times. That said, there IS a scenario that sometimes occurs very early in the morning. If I go out to the car at say 04:30-05:00 and pull the handle, sometimes if doesn't open immediately. I can hear a click in the car and about 10 seconds later the handle works find and I drive away. I THINK the car is in some type of deep sleep and an internal component has to wake up.

this is my point - that (what you just described, especially the bolded sentences) is NOT "working 100% of the time." if you have to wait even a single time for any length of time while holding the handle, it has not worked 100% of the time. that's what i was getting at when i said i wish people would stop with this nonsense...i refuse to believe that there is anyone who truly has had it work 100% of the time as intended - and if there is, they need to contact tesla and volunteer to let them look at their phone/car logs to make it work that way for all of us.

it is supposed to be instant - you walk up and press the handle, and the door opens. you have never once had to stand there holding the door handle open and wait even a second or two for the car to unlock and let you in? i know we have seen people with new iphones here who are still having issues, so i want to know what kind of unicorn setup you have going on that it literally is working flawlessly 100% of the time...also, while we're at it, please email tesla support and ask them to pull logs from your car and offer them any relevant logs from your phone so they can see what's going on too and make it work for all of us.

I will call them and give it a shot. I can't think of anytime that it didn't happen immediately when I pushed the handle. I have noticed on tesla-fi that my car doesn't sleep as much as it should. I think mine and my wife's cell phones are close enough to connect a lot more often than they should due to the design of our garage/house. I can't think of anything else I do that would make a difference.

this is my point - that (what you just described, especially the bolded sentences) is NOT "working 100% of the time." if you have to wait even a single time for any length of time while holding the handle, it has not worked 100% of the time. that's what i was getting at when i said i wish people would stop with this nonsense...i refuse to believe that there is anyone who truly has had it work 100% of the time as intended - and if there is, they need to contact tesla and volunteer to let them look at their phone/car logs to make it work that way for all of us.
Do key fobs work 100% of the time?

I can't say my phone worked 100% but it's like 99%. I've had my car since the beginning of June and I've only had 2 total failures. Plus a few human failures when I had BT turned off on my phone.

Do key fobs work 100% of the time?

I can't say my phone worked 100% but it's like 99%. I've had my car since the beginning of June and I've only had 2 total failures. Plus a few human failures when I had BT turned off on my phone.

considering my 2013 volt fob hasn't failed once in over 5 years, I'd say 100% is an acceptable goal to shoot for in a 2018 model year vehicle.

Reactions: GSP
When the battery runs out, it'll fail. :D
In my Model S, there was an alert on the center screen that the fob battery was low. I was pretty much in the parking lot of a Batteries+ store, coincidentally. The staff there even replaced them for me and disposed of the old ones. Easy-peasy, and simpler than remembering to charge a phone all the time.
My fob might have failed once or twice, but I can't remember it specifically.

In my Model S, there was an alert on the center screen that the fob battery was low. I was pretty much in the parking lot of a Batteries+ store, coincidentally. The staff there even replaced them for me and disposed of the old ones. Easy-peasy, and simpler than remembering to charge a phone all the time.
My fob might have failed once or twice, but I can't remember it specifically.
I'm pretty sure they will charge for battery replacement for the Model 3.

I would say remembering to bring the key fob is a lot harder than remembering to charge a phone. I have a phone charger at home, in the car, and at work.

I'm pretty sure they will charge for battery replacement for the Model 3.
Is the Model 3 fob battery not a user-replaceable, standard-size battery?
I would say remembering to bring the key fob is a lot harder than remembering to charge a phone. I have a phone charger at home, in the car, and at work.
Like most people, you're already in the habit of doing this at least once a day. I am not. I guess I should have added "simpler for me...".

Is the Model 3 fob battery not a user-replaceable, standard-size battery?

Like most people, you're already in the habit of doing this at least once a day. I am not. I guess I should have added "simpler for me...".
It probably is user-replaceable.

I've actually never even had a car with a key fob. My only experience with using a fob was when I was driving around with the Model S loaner. For me it was just another thing to remember to carry.

If the fob supported keyless entry and controls summon I would get it. Hopefully they add those features in a future update.