Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Key Fob is here: $150

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla app does not (hopefully yet) have a Watch companion app. There are other 3rd party apps that can open the 3 from the watch (although I have not tried any so can not given insight). Remote S is a popular one.

Iphone Apps
I’d add that the watch apps are working using communication to the car via cellular. So it’s dependent on both the car and the watch having a data connection.

Just ordered the fob and it is shipping in 2 days from Newark, CA via FedEx. Getting it for the "Valets" that cannot seem to figure out how to put the Tesla key card on their keyrack. Last time the valet put the key card in a ziplock with the valet tag, hid it in back room and then could not find it.

Reactions: BobAbooey
My 2018 Audi Q5 key fob vs the Model 3 fob. It’s a lot smaller when holding it in ur hand compared to the Audi’s
EE6D1162-49B2-483D-88F0-3FE4F4C683E7.jpeg

In case anyone was wondering, the Model 3 key is not the same size as the Model S key. They're very similar to look at though, as far as I can tell the M3 key is just a slightly smaller version of the Model S key. Slightly skinnier, slightly shorter, but the same length.

why are you guys buying these again? other than the valet use case i'm not sure it's really worth it.. especially without passive entry.

My husband uses the keycard exclusively since his app is set to his Model S by default and that doesn’t play well with the 3. So the fob gives him added functionality over the card.

I like to leave my 3 unlocked in my garage, so with the fob, I can turn off walk away lock and still easily lock my car as I walk away when out and about (I keep the fob hanging on the outside of my purse)

And, today the fob was quicker than digging out my phone when I walked up to my trunk and the phone key didn’t get recognized, again. Hands full of suitcases coming home from the airport, I just double clicked on the fob after the initial couple of pulls on the trunk didn’t work. I would have had to set stuff down to find my phone in my purse.

My husband uses the keycard exclusively since his app is set to his Model S by default and that doesn’t play well with the 3. So the fob gives him added functionality over the card.

I like to leave my 3 unlocked in my garage, so with the fob, I can turn off walk away lock and still easily lock my car as I walk away when out and about (I keep the fob hanging on the outside of my purse)

And, today the fob was quicker than digging out my phone when I walked up to my trunk and the phone key didn’t get recognized, again. Hands full of suitcases coming home from the airport, I just double clicked on the fob after the initial couple of pulls on the trunk didn’t work. I would have had to set stuff down to find my phone in my purse.
i use my phone as my key and i always keep it in my back pocket. also have key card in wallet as backup. as i approach my car, i take the phone out of my pocket so i don't sit on it when i get in, and i just open the door and it works every time.

really trying to justify 150 on a key fob that doesn't do anything. =\

Reactions: BobAbooey
i use my phone as my key and i always keep it in my back pocket. also have key card in wallet as backup. as i approach my car, i take the phone out of my pocket so i don't sit on it when i get in, and i just open the door and it works every time.

really trying to justify 150 on a key fob that doesn't do anything. =\

Yeah, if I didn’t carry my phone in my purse, I would probably be less annoyed by the situation. I also have to walk out to my car in dark parking lots (gym, etc), and being able to double click unlock on the fob as I walk up will be handy. I always feel very exposed standing next to my car fumbling with my purse to find my phone in those situations when the phone key fails.

I ordered one because it works like all the cars we have had the last 10 years. Figure it’s easier to hand to someone without explanation.
Yeah, but now how you need to explain to them where and how to push on the fob to open/close the car. ;) Guess we need a cover like this one (for the S) for the 3 fob to make it valet-safe:

n5kCHoq.jpg