Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Key Fob is here: $150

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a similar cover (in red). Fits perfectly on the 3 fob.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07BNZCJXR?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title
CB078D77-2D0A-4DE0-80C1-59C20CDA648D.jpeg

Hot Leather Car Smart Remote Key Fob Case Holder Cover Fit For Tesla Model X /S | eBay
I use a leather one like this for my Model S.
The leather is a much lower profile and is less grippy in the pocket.
They fit extremely snuggly on the Model S fobs so I’m assuming they will be a perfect fit for the Model 3 key fobs.
Ordered for my Wife’s Model 3 in different colors.
eBay is nearly half the price over Amazon on these. Many sellers...

Reactions: BobAbooey
Yeah, if I didn’t carry my phone in my purse, I would probably be less annoyed by the situation. I also have to walk out to my car in dark parking lots (gym, etc), and being able to double click unlock on the fob as I walk up will be handy. I always feel very exposed standing next to my car fumbling with my purse to find my phone in those situations when the phone key fails.

I'm with Az_Rael on this. Both my phone, which doesn't always connect to the car as I walk up, and the key card are in my purse. We haven't started to rain yet but really don't want to be standing there in the rain pulling out one or the other from my purse and hoping the phone connects quickly while it gets rained on or alternatively the key card holder gets all wet holding it against the B pillar and then having a wet item to put back in my purse. Yes it's a convenience thing and as a woman do feel better having the fob in a coat pocket and clicking from inside the pocket and gaining quick entry. Just ordered mine. Not crazy about the price, but probably more annoyed at paying 13.50 in sales tax for it.

As for valet or friend use, the fob is probably an easier choice to hand them.

View attachment 353822
Hot Leather Car Smart Remote Key Fob Case Holder Cover Fit For Tesla Model X /S | eBay
I use a leather one like this for my Model S.
The leather is a much lower profile and is less grippy in the pocket.
They fit extremely snuggly on the Model S fobs so I’m assuming they will be a perfect fit for the Model 3 key fobs.
Ordered for my Wife’s Model 3 in different colors.
eBay is nearly half the price over Amazon on these. Many sellers...
That looks really nice. When you get them, please let us know how well they fit on your wife's Model 3 fob.

I'm with Az_Rael on this. Both my phone, which doesn't always connect to the car as I walk up, and the key card are in my purse. We haven't started to rain yet but really don't want to be standing there in the rain pulling out one or the other from my purse and hoping the phone connects quickly while it gets rained on or alternatively the key card holder gets all wet holding it against the B pillar and then having a wet item to put back in my purse. Yes it's a convenience thing and as a woman do feel better having the fob in a coat pocket and clicking from inside the pocket and gaining quick entry. Just ordered mine. Not crazy about the price, but probably more annoyed at paying 13.50 in sales tax for it.

As for valet or friend use, the fob is probably an easier choice to hand them.
We all need to ask for the ability of the fob (either fob or phone key) to only open the handle that is pulled. I don't think it is safe to unlock every door on the car when it is just you entering. As a compromise they could only open the side that the person with the key is on. Same with when you get to your destination, every door unlocks when you open your door. The car shouldn't do that (by default).

We all need to ask for the ability of the fob (either fob or phone key) to only open the handle that is pulled. I don't think it is safe to unlock every door on the car when it is just you entering. As a compromise they could only open the side that the person with the key is on. Same with when you get to your destination, every door unlocks when you open your door. The car shouldn't do that (by default).

My S was set that way. Maybe now that there is a fob they can add that option to the 3.

Reactions: diamond.g
I would think there will eventually be a high percentage of parity between many of these functions/option settings between the models. Really haven't paid attention to my Model 3 manual enough but I know on our S we could just have the driver's door unlock. Think that is a smart setting for many people.

just got a couple model S fob cases in and the model 3 fob fits in them perfectly!

the leather one is very nice but almost exactly like the one we have for the X, so to differentiate I am putting it in the silicone one. i thought it would look/feel cheap but it's actually quite nice.

the "T" logo doesn't stick out the small hole it's supposed to in the leather one but oh well...the buttons match up perfectly for both!

got both as a set off of amazon for $16.50

remote.jpg
remote2.jpg
remote3.jpg

just got a couple model S fob cases in and the model 3 fob fits in them perfectly!

the leather one is very nice but almost exactly like the one we have for the X, so to differentiate I am putting it in the silicone one. i thought it would look/feel cheap but it's actually quite nice.

the "T" logo doesn't stick out the small hole it's supposed to in the leather one but oh well...the buttons match up perfectly for both!

got both as a set off of amazon for $16.50

View attachment 354164 View attachment 354165 View attachment 354166
that leather one looks like some fine italian bespoke shoe.!

Reactions: forkee
Got mine today also. Weren't these supposed to come with some kind of lanyard thing to attach it to keychains? Mine arrived already opened, and the fob and the 2 batteries fell out onto the floor while i was pulling it out of the bag.

I'm fine with the functionality - my understanding is that a lot of more security-conscious females really wanted to be able to have more control over when the doors were locked and unlocked when approaching the vehicle. This is a step in the right direction - now if tesla adds a way for two clicks to just open the driver door, and 3 clicks to open all of them, that would be even better.

Last edited:
What a waste of money. It replaces the credit card key — which doesn’t need a replacement — and that’s all given it’s lack of ability to passively open the car like a real Tesla key fob.
The ability to open the frunk and trunk remotely, without fiddling with the phone, is of great value. Also being able to unlock the car from any remote position (instead of having touch the driver's B-pillar with the card) is useful.

Got mine today also. Weren't these supposed to come with some kind of lanyard thing to attach it to keychains? Mine arrived already opened, and the fob and the 2 batteries fell out onto the floor while i was pulling it out of the bag.

I'm fine with the functionality - my understanding is that a lot of more security-conscious females really wanted to be able to have more control over when the doors were locked and unlocked when approaching the vehicle. This is a step in the right direction - now if tesla adds a way for two clicks to just open the driver door, and 3 clicks to open all of them, that would be even better.

It is easy enough to have a setting that only unlocks selected car doors with the proximity feature. It is quite common in nicer cars.