Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Key Fob is here: $150

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where do I attach this fob to my key ring? From the pictures I've seen I don't see anyplace to connect it to a standard key ring. Sorry if this is a bit basic, but I assume nothing with Tesla anymore

You will have to get a sleeve for it.

I bought two. I want to be able to turn off walk away lock and have my car unlocked in my garage, so this is the only convenient way to do that. Unfortunate about the passive entry, but I hope it still can start the car at least.

If it doesn't support passive entry, can I leave the fob in my glove box and the doors will still lock with walk away using the phone?

My plan is to keep the fob in the car for valet and similar uses. I was planning on leaving in a Faraday pouch (and probably still will) but is it necessary?

Says it doesn't support passive "entry". Assuming that the "walk away lock" option you can turn on or off inside the car, will still work? So, I think passive entry only applies to unlocking the doors when you walk up. I can live with that. Certainly better than the options we had yesterday! :)

Let me say that I love my phone-key and it works flawlessly for me. The price is one thing, but lack of passive entry makes this thing basically useless.
Really? Toyota fobs from five years ago supported passive entry. In the phone-as-key, Tesla supplied one access system that almost worked. It looks like this could be another.
Pretty box, though.
Robin
Robin

The one thing the fob will be very useful for opening the frunk. I hate having to:
  1. Take out my phone,
  2. unlock my phone,
  3. find the Tesla app,
  4. wait for it to load,
  5. click the trunk button,
  6. confirm that I actually want to open it,
  7. wait for it to actually open.
especially if my hands are full...

With a fob, I can usually pry away a finger and get to the fob in my pocket and double-click through my pant fabric.

I wish they would have implemented a "knock-knock" sensor in conjunction with proximity detection (phone, fob, whatever).

haha come on now. It's a 60k car. If this was BMW we would be incredibly thankful if it was 'only' $150. Tesla is giving us an alternative option for $150 is a good deal imo

I can't remember...…...did the Model S and Model X come with a pair of fobs for free? Oh yeah...that's right....those cars a much more expensive.

I wonder how much more expensive the model 3 should be to get a free fob.

Reactions: Yooner and Dmagyar
Wow. That's… profoundly disappointing. I don't even care about the cost, I was in full "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY" mode until I saw it doesn't passively unlock/lock, nor does it apparently let you use Summon.

Yeah they've really made a mess of things with the whole key situation. Just let people toggle passive entry, if you live in London where all the gangs do these organized Tesla thefts, you can turn it off or require a PIN.

So, if it is incapable of passive entry, how is it capable of allowing the car to start/go? Isn't it the same proximity sensing mechanism? Is this FOB ONLY able to open the trunk and frunk? What else will it do?

The one thing the fob will be very useful for opening the frunk. I hate having to:
  1. Take out my phone,
  2. unlock my phone,
  3. find the Tesla app,
  4. wait for it to load,
  5. click the trunk button,
  6. confirm that I actually want to open it,
  7. wait for it to actually open.
especially if my hands are full...

With a fob, I can usually pry away a finger and get to the fob in my pocket and double-click through my pant fabric.

I wish they would have implemented a "knock-knock" sensor in conjunction with proximity detection (phone, fob, whatever).

I have a 3 year old Samsung Galaxy S6 and I have to do none of those things. I walk up to the car and open the trunk.

Make sure you've actually set your phone not to try to optimize power usage with the Tesla app.