Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Key Fob is here: $150

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm glad that Tesla has finally come out with a fob and think that every current owner should get one free if they want it. I suspect you would have to take your car to a service center to establish a handshake. Although I can re-program my 2004 vans fobs myself, the dealer has to do any fobs for our Kia. I think the difference has to do with the fobs, for my van the key and fob are one device, but for the Kia they are separate.

Reactions: C141medic
I suspect you would have to take your car to a service center to establish a handshake.

Nope, the FAQ says you can do it yourself: Model 3 Key Fob

How do I pair my Key Fob?
To pair a Key Fob to your Model 3, go to the Locks tab in Controls on your touchscreen. Follow the onscreen prompts to add a new key. Once paired, the key list displays the new Key Fob, and you can customize the name of Key Fobs or unpair them.

I'm glad that Tesla has finally come out with a fob and think that every current owner should get one free if they want it. I suspect you would have to take your car to a service center to establish a handshake. Although I can re-program my 2004 vans fobs myself, the dealer has to do any fobs for our Kia. I think the difference has to do with the fobs, for my van the key and fob are one device, but for the Kia they are separate.

It says in the Key Fob support article that you program it yourself, the same way you program the key cards or your phone:

How do I pair my Key Fob?
To pair a Key Fob to your Model 3, go to the Locks tab in Controls on your touchscreen. Follow the onscreen prompts to add a new key. Once paired, the key list displays the new Key Fob, and you can customize the name of Key Fobs or unpair them.

Can anyone tell from photos if the shape is different from the Model S key fob? Will cases designed or the Model S key fob work with this?

Model 3 key fob:
1449859-00-D_0.jpg

Model S key fob:
keyfob.jpg

Does your S key fob have a hook on the back to attach a key ring? I am concerned because you can't see one in the display picture. I'll be a little irritated if I can't attach to my existing keys...

Okay, Tesla, let me see if I understand this correctly. Compare this $150 fob to the two I got with my 2011 Challenger R/T:

2011 Challenger R/T fob:
1. Passive Entry
2. Once inside the car it lets the car start with no extra anything
3. Built in key ring loop
4. I changed the battery once in 3 YEARS
5. 2 fobs came with car for FREE

Tesla Model 3 fob:
1. No
2. No?
3. No? Does it include a key ring?
4. We'll see
5. ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARS FOR THIS POS?!?!?!?!?!?!?:eek:

Kind of a FAIL there, Tesla........

Doesn't passive entry just mean you don't have to hit the fob to unlock the door? I imagine you can still unlock and drive with just the fob. Would be nice if you could use a S/X fob or better yet enable phone for the S/X.

Tesla needed to charge something so that every Bob and Sue didn’t order 2 key fobs just because, since they are free. I remember reading a thread where people where piling on saying they will get 2 fobs if they are free. This saves Tesla lots of $ as those people won’t be getting one.