Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Key Fob is here: $150

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
haha come on now. It's a 60k car. If this was BMW we would be incredibly thankful if it was 'only' $150. Tesla is giving us an alternative option for $150 is a good deal imo
Just that BMW would never deliver a 60k car without a reliably functioning remote key in the first place.
150$ for a workaround to something Tesla themselves ****ed up is not ok.
And then it`s not even fit for passive entry....basically lacks the decisive feature everyone wanted to have it for.......

What kind of drug-addict product manager decided on this?!?
This is just embarrassing

Last edited:
First comment from the Electrek article on the fob. Makes me wonder how they got the X fob to work with minimal battery drain. Here I was hoping that Walk Up unlock would make its way back into the FW since the fob is available.

There are no key fobs on the market that work using Bluetooth. They use common RF bands, and the "passive entry fobs" communicate through challenge response. The car MUST have radio transmitters and receivers capable of sending RF challenges when the handle is pressed, so the key fob can send the response. The car's multiple RF receivers MUST be able to use signal strength and triangulation to determine if the key fob is on the driver side door, passenger, rear, or inside.

Notice, the car needs to have specific hardware that the Model 3 simply wasn't designed for.
This new key fob would be the first Bluetooth key fob in the market. And it is Bluetooth LE per the FCC application.

Passive RF key fobs, like we are all used to... are VERY low power. They sit listening only, no beacons, no heavy protocols, etc. Much lower power requirements than even Bluetooth Low Energy. A phone is charged everyday, but a fob must last for months if not years.

So this key fob is more of a workaround. It has to use Bluetooth, because the car's hardware doesn't transmit or receive on any other frequencies or protocols. And BLE still requires too much power if active all the time, as it would need to be in a "passive entry" mode. Even a BT beacon interval of 5 seconds would drain the battery too fast, and though 1 minute intervals might save the battery, it won't work walking up to a car.
So, it must use Bluetooth only when the button is pressed.

For iOS users, you can add a widget for the Tesla app that gives you quicker access to things like turning the climate control on/off, open the frunk, etc. Once it’s added, you just unlock the phone, swipe left and whoop there it is.

It took forever for Tesla to have a charging cable for their Model S/X dock that fit Android too. Tesla should just go on the record saying they only care to support Apple and will get around to Android support some years down the line. Total FAIL!

So tell me this. One of my main reasons for a fob is so I don't have to take the phone with me every single time I run into a store for 3 minutes. I never needed Bluetooth to be enabled on my phone until I got my 3.

If I have a fob, and I leave the phone in the car, and leave the car and press the lock button, will the doors lock while it's sensing my phone still in the car? Turning Bluetooth on and off all the time in the car to stream YouTube to the radio would be another inconvenience.

And why does walk away lock not work with the fob? I have to press a button now to get it to lock the doors, and in 21st century America, that's just too much hassle.....

So tell me this. One of my main reasons for a fob is so I don't have to take the phone with me every single time I run into a store for 3 minutes. I never needed Bluetooth to be enabled on my phone until I got my 3.

If I have a fob, and I leave the phone in the car, and leave the car and press the lock button, will the doors lock while it's sensing my phone still in the car? Turning Bluetooth on and off all the time in the car to stream YouTube to the radio would be another inconvenience.

And why does walk away lock not work with the fob? I have to press a button now to get it to lock the doors, and in 21st century America, that's just too much hassle.....
Remove your phone from phone key and you should be able to leave it in the car and lock it with the fob.
Walk away lock appears to not work at this time cause the fob only powers the BT radio when the button on the fob is pressed. Maybe they will change that, who knows.

150 isn’t bad at all if the fob functioned like other Tesla fobs. Unfortunately that’s not the case here.

For me phone as key has always worked flawlessly on iPhone X and then XS Max. I don’t summon the car hardly at all so I never had an issue. The only slow down I ever had was when opening the frunk.

Ps for those with old old phones... take this 150 and put it towards buying a new iPhone or Android. I think that is going to fix a lot of your phone as a key problems. Shouldn’t be surprised that an almost 5 year old android isn’t working properly. I’m an android fan but those phones hit a hard wall in terms of reliability and updates.

Email from Tesla today....

“Thank you for contacting Tesla! The Model 3 key fob is being offered on the store for $150.00 as an alternate option to the phone key and key card. The key fob is not being offered free of charge at this time as it is optional and not a feature that comes with the vehicle.
I hope this helps answer your question!”

For future customer support needs, please feel free to reach out directly to our dedicated customer support teams via [email protected]

Hmm, well that’s in direct contradiction to what they stated previously. Disappointing and dishonest IMO.

My unsubstantiated guess is that the Model S/X has a sensor in the car handle that the Model 3 lacks.

The sensor for the key fob is not in the handle. There is a separate sensor in the A pillar if memory serves. At any rate the Model 3 has a BLE sensor for the phone key. Does the fob not use BLE?

Except that article is 2 months old and Tesla has said nope. Gotta pay.

It doesn’t matter how old the article is. Tesla was on record and gave a statement and they are no longer honoring it.

no passive entry and they expect us to pay $150? LMFAO.

that being said, i'm one of the people who has had major issues with phone as key...has anyone else noticed it getting much better lately? i'm not sure if that is placebo or if they've actually been making improvements as they go with software releases, but for me anyway it has gotten much better. i'd say it has gone from working maybe 20%-30% of the time to maybe 70% or so. it still fails far too often, but it has felt better...it also feels like walk away lock fails more often than passive entry does.

My iPhone has been working worse since upgrading to v9. It has already failed to open twice since getting v9 a month ago. No issue with walk away lock though. It feels like the sleep setting has been tweaked in the car delaying when it first wakes up.

My iPhone has been working worse since upgrading to v9. It has already failed to open twice since getting v9 a month ago. No issue with walk away lock though. It feels like the sleep setting has been tweaked in the car delaying when it first wakes up.

It would really be great to get away from the "my phone didn't work" comments....as though its the car's fault.

All of our cars are the same....whereas our phones are different.

A lot of people such as myself has had a flawless "phone as a key" interaction between the car and our android/ios phones. ( I have a Samsung android Note 8 ).

Guess what? Our cars are identical. Soooooo what's different?

It would really be great to get away from the "my phone didn't work" comments....as though its the car's fault.

All of our cars are the same....whereas our phones are different.

A lot of people such as myself has had a flawless "phone as a key" interaction between the car and our android/ios phones. ( I have a Samsung android Note 8 ).

Guess what? Our cars are identical. Soooooo what's different?

Which is the entire problem with Tesla’s app based method. They would have to release a list of officially supported phones so we would know which phone to buy. My Galaxy S8 works most of the time, but misses often enough to be annoying. Maybe if Tesla had said the Note 8 vs the Galaxy 8 is the supported phone, I would go buy a Note 8 instead.

Only for unlocking doors? That is pretty crazy and disappointing. Honestly,I had so many issues with my iPhone 6.....the iPhone X is absolutely flawless. The only time I may have a slight delay is if its in my back pocket and I'm going in the passenger door.
I have frequent issues using an iPhone X, as do many others. I can open the trunk, put something in, close the trunk and then 3 seconds later be unable to open the driver door.