Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Key Fob is here: $150

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only way to attach Tesla fobs to keychains is with the sleeves. Tesla provides two for my Model S but I’m not sure about this one

The sleeves are a good solution (though they eventually stretch out, in my experience). It's also easy to use a small zip tie to create a loop that you can put a key ring through.

1. Phone key is primary
2. Cards are secondary
3. FOB is optional ($150)

I'm disappointed in the lack of passive entry of the FOB, but honestly my phone does this just fine. I considered getting one for valet use and also for my non-techy wife but the price and lack of passive entry makes it a no thank you for this household.

Fortunately, my iPhone X is extremely reliable as a key, but I'd like the convenience of having a fob. I have multiple drivers in the household who don't need phone access, for one. If I wait to order, maybe some of these issues will be address by a hardware (or software) update. Tesla has shown itself to be extremely responsive to owner input. Musk just tweeted this morning to ask for input on on improvements and fixes, so we'll see what happens with that.

Reactions: Msjulie
Now there's a great question.

Is the fob only for doors and trunks?
According to the in-car manual it works like the key cards after unlocking the car: if you press the brake within 2 minutes you don't have to do anything, otherwise you have to tap the fob to the center console. It has an embedded NFC chip (you can also unlock the car by tapping the fob to the B pillar).

According to the in-car manual it works like the key cards after unlocking the car: if you press the brake within 2 minutes you don't have to do anything, otherwise you have to tap the fob to the center console. It has an embedded NFC chip (you can also open the doors by tapping the fob to the B pillar).
Cooler than that, they flat out state that 1 fob can be used for multiple cars, just touch to B pillar on car you want to open.

My perfect solution...take note Tesla:

In order to allow passive entry (which apparently is battery hungry), the FOB version 2.0 should have a rechargeable lithium battery that gives a week of charge along with a wireless charging pad that you set it on when you get home to top up the charge. It could still include the RFID feature so that it's usable like the keycard to unlock and drive the car.

A wireless charging pad would be really nice because it forces you to put your fob in the same place every day so you don't lose it.

As for "wireless charging pad" it could be metal contacts like a dock as far as I'm concerned.

Also, the lithium battery should be "full" at 80% Voltage so that the battery doesn't die from sitting on the charger pad at 100% for 16 hours per day.

660CB3E2-540E-4B4F-9B2F-AE286A80E71D.jpeg
Wow. That's… profoundly disappointing. I don't even care about the cost, I was in full "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY" mode until I saw it doesn't passively unlock/lock, nor does it apparently let you use Summon.
Opens the car when you walk up to it passively, locks it when walking away, selectively opens trunk or just the doors, two included, with $60,000 car, what gives Elon? Though it is ICE...
I’ll save that $150 for a new phone.

It would really be great to get away from the "my phone didn't work" comments....as though its the car's fault.

it IS the car's fault. tesla made this the primary way of entering and driving the vehicle either knowing full well there would be issues like this and not caring, or not knowing that there would be issues with how many different phones and implementations of bluetooth are out there. either way, that's not a good thing.

they released the car with technology that is buggy and doesn't work a large portion of the time. that's on them, not us.

Reactions: detlefo