Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Key Fob is here: $150

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
you know you could have just ordered another card for $5 to give to valet or kids rather than spending $150 for a fob, right?

Yes. I know. But this way I can’t get the wrong card to a 3rd person. My card is my card and stays in my wallet.

The fob is easy to not confuse with another card. Worth the extra $100 for simplicity. Plus it’s more likely my kids will give me the fob back. If I give them a card they will keep it in their wallet and leave the house okmfe the car is returned and the card will be 50 miles away.

Reactions: TonyPham
I use the phone all the time. It works to open the car all the time but sometimes I have to touch the door handle to wake up the phone and car connection. No big deal.
The new fob is great so I can keep my card in my wallet for emergency if I ever need it and I can now give the fob to the valet or my kids. Makes it more convenient.
Glad I ordered it already since it is in back order already.

I really got one to give the dudes at the car wash or who-ever might need to drive the car.

There's that $5/keycard figure again. I was charged $20 each for a pair of cards last week at the Santa Clara Service Center. Mind telling them to change their ordering/inventory system to the lower price?

no need for the passive aggressiveness...plenty of us were quoted and/or have been charged $5 for the cards. just to make you happy, I just sent an email asking how much they are now.

no need for the passive aggressiveness...plenty of us were quoted and/or have been charged $5 for the cards. just to make you happy, I just sent an email asking how much they are now.

I had previously found on the Tesla website a reference of the cards being $5 but can no longer find it. Either my search skills are failing or they removed the reference. There is really no reason why they don't sell the cards on-line just like they sell the fobs.

i apparently jinxed myself by saying the phone key had gotten better...tonight it was quite literally 100% unusable. went out to do some shopping, made 3 stops - did not work once to unlock the car, including when i went out to the garage to leave my house. not a single time. had to get either the card or the phone out and open through the app (via internet, even just opening the app didn't work)...

I had previously found on the Tesla website a reference of the cards being $5 but can no longer find it. Either my search skills are failing or they removed the reference. There is really no reason why they don't sell the cards on-line just like they sell the fobs.
I remember that being stated broadly. Here's an example:
Tesla Model 3: The First Serious Review
Zorrilla told me replacements cost $100 [EDITOR'S NOTE: A representative from Tesla contacted The Drive and said the cards cost $5 each; the first replacement is free]

i apparently jinxed myself by saying the phone key had gotten better...tonight it was quite literally 100% unusable. went out to do some shopping, made 3 stops - did not work once to unlock the car, including when i went out to the garage to leave my house. not a single time. had to get either the card or the phone out and open through the app (via internet, even just opening the app didn't work)...

Did ur phone have a good amount of battery on it? Just wondering

Has anyone else received shipping confirmation yet? I ordered mine Thursday night (11/8) and got the order confirmation, but haven't yet gotten any updates about it being shipped.

Got my shipping notice. It is supposed to arrive tomorrow, however it looks like the package hasn't been dropped off at FedEx yet. (Only the label has been created)