Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Key Fob is here: $150

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be a lanyard according to the manual, not a ring. You can see the hook for it when he puts the battery in.

There is definitely a hook for the lanyard, but no lanyard was included :(

https://i.imgur.com/H8rjwaD.jpg
sLMfk4u

Attachments

• 20181112_183915.jpg
    20181112_183915.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Assuming that your phone-as-key is working reliably. Otherwise it might be a few pulls on the trunk, then shuffling shopping bags to one hand to pull out phone and mess with the phone, trying again, walking to the side of the car and stabbing at the door handle to wake the car, trying again ...

That said I'm not paying $150 for something that still requires me to fiddle with it to unlock the car.

Exaaaactly

If anything wait for updates for phone to work better for you, keep car alwys on, or something...fob is not a fix

Yes. It works like a key card. You can start driving within 2 minutes after unlocking without having to tap/unlock again.

Also can lock/unlock at the pillar:
It also works the same as the S/X with passive entry disabled.

Unlock of the doors enables the car to start for a fixed amount of time. Once it expires, the car remains unlocked but cannot be started.

Makes sense to me, otherwise any unlocked car could be started by anyone.

I'll stick with the key card for 5 bucks. My phone works 100% of the time anyway so this isn't really a necessity for me. The once in a while I valet I will spend the 30 seconds explaining to them how it works with the card.

i really wish people would stop with this "my phone works 100% of the time" nonsense. from the number of people having issues with all different types of phones and operating systems, i refuse to believe that there is anyone it's working for 100% of the time as intended (and if you have to stand there even once with the handle pushed in waiting for the door to open, that is NOT working as intended).

It isn’t his battery. For whatever reason his phone is killing either the app and/or the Bluetooth connection when not open. We thought it was cause he was running and older version of Android. He rooted the device and installed a newer rom and that hasn’t helped.

the sad part is (like i said) it was getting better...they were starting to give me hope that they were getting somewhere with fixing it. then the past two days, poof. literally unusuable.

Ah, good to know. I am sure that isn't the intended behavior based on the user manual, so it sounds like a bug that will be pretty quickly fixed once enough fobs are in the wild.

there's something hilarious about giving tesla a pass that they'll just fix it once enough fobs are out there if they did in fact release a key fob that doesn't actually work to unlock the car.

I saw a YouTube video where someone was trying out the fob and summon did not appear to be a supported function. (Holding down the middle button did nothing.)

That and it isn't covered in the manual should tell you everything you need to know.
I wonder if a future software update would allow it to control summon. As it, the fob doesn't really provide me with any benefits.