Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Key Fob is here: $150

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have visited the Tesla Shop web page several times now and every time the Model 3 key fob is listed as Out of Stock.

Anybody: How have you obtained your Model 3 key fob?

Knowing how quickly accessories for the 3 sold out in the past (waited months to order the sold out cargo mat after getting my car in Jan), I jumped right in without even reading the description after seeing it on Reddit. Otherwise, you will just have to stalk the webpage over the next couple of months. Reddit is pretty good at posting when hot items go back in stock. So r/teslamotors

I just looked online at the owners manual and downloaded the PDF and there is no mention of model 3 key fob. Perhaps it's in the owners manual in the car?

Yes, only the onscreen owners manual in the car has the info.

• Informative
Reactions: Jeff Hudson
people accepting that the primary method of entering and driving the car will fail even 0.1% of the time is the reason why these things don't get fixed. ugh.

While it would be great to have the phone work 100% of the time with zero delay (and also, not have vampire drain from the car being awake 100% of the time waiting for the phone to connect); the few times I need to wait several seconds for the car to respond to the phone is infinitely smaller than how much time I have lost in my life looking for my keys.

I love that I no longer have to carry keys or fobs and am willing to lose valuable seconds every few weeks to make that a reality.

Reactions: BobAbooey
While it would be great to have the phone work 100% of the time with zero delay (and also, not have vampire drain from the car being awake 100% of the time waiting for the phone to connect); the few times I need to wait several seconds for the car to respond to the phone is infinitely smaller than how much time I have lost in my life looking for my keys.

I love that I no longer have to carry keys or fobs and am willing to lose valuable seconds every few weeks to make that a reality.
I blame the early adopters that complained about walk up unlock. Seems these phone key issues didn’t start in earnest until they removed that feature from the cars. :mad:

Reactions: crackers8199
people accepting that the primary method of entering and driving the car will fail even 0.1% of the time is the reason why these things don't get fixed. ugh.

In a way I feel we are all like guinea pigs in someway owning a Tesla. I knew when buying my Tesla things would not all be “normal” but that’s what I signed up for.

So what my phone only works 99% of the time WAIT WHAT! My phone is my key omg that’s awesome

...until you lose your phone. lol

I do not own a model 3, only a model S, so I do not have the experience of using the key card or phone as a all-in-one key. For my experience, I do like using the MS fob as the car doesn't auto present door handles 100% of the time. Sure, a lot of time I do leave the fob in my pocket and the car will respond, but if I want to get in the car without fail, I use the fob (button push).
I think the new fob for the M3 is a win. It appears to be better than the key card and I would assume for some it will be more more convenient than using a phone. Overall it appears the M3 key fob is a car shaped key card but now it has a transmitting range. Some people obviously wanted a M3 phone replacement instead. For these folks this key fob isn't for them.

i hope that if they go that route, they will at least give current owners the option of a retrofit. i would pay for it, if it's not cost prohibitive.
I blame the early adopters that complained about walk up unlock. Seems these phone key issues didn’t start in earnest until they removed that feature from the cars. :mad:

Please explain. What was the walk up unlock feature, and what is now in its place? I thought the car unlocked from your phone as you walk up to it. Does that no longer work?

The problem with this is that the car constantly unlocks/locks if it is parked in a garage or carport close to where people walk around in the house with their phone. This keeps the car from going to sleep and causes a lot of battery drain (and is also a security risk if the car isn't parked in a closed garage).

People accepting a 0.1% failure rate has nothing to do with why Tesla hasn't fixed it. Tesla probably can't repeat the issue so they don't know what is causing the problem to be able to fix it.

it is utterly laughable to think that they "can't repeat the issue" for the number of people who are having problems. this isn't a situation where the people who it's not working for are in the minority and it's just a small number of people...it's the other way around.

Reactions: Parebal0