Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Key Fob is here: $150

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it is utterly laughable to think that they "can't repeat the issue" for the number of people who are having problems. this isn't a situation where the people who it's not working for are in the minority and it's just a small number of people...it's the other way around.
I think it makes no sense for Tesla to know what the problem is and then deciding not to do anything about it. It's much more plausible that they can't figure out why some people are having issues and others aren't. I can't speak to how wide spread the problem is. Of course in forums people who have issues are going to be more vocal than those who have no issues. In my real life encounters the people I personally know who own a model 3 are not having issues with their phone key functionality. But that is a sample size and isn't a good representation either.

Not sure I understand. I think you are saying the fob alone will allow driving with fob battery inside the fob? In addition it will open doors and trunks?
You can use the fob without battery exactly as you would use a keycard (i.e. open the door by tapping the fob to the B-pillar, drive by either pushing the brake pedal withing 2 minutes of entering the car, or tapping the fob to the center console behind the cup holders). If there's a battery in the fob, it can additionally open the car from a distance by pushing the buttons.

Reactions: BobAbooey
The problem with this is that the car constantly unlocks/locks if it is parked in a garage or carport close to where people walk around in the house with their phone. This keeps the car from going to sleep and causes a lot of battery drain (and is also a security risk if the car isn't parked in a closed garage).
yet somehow the S and X folks don’t have the same issue. I don’t buy it... :mad:

Reactions: BioSehnsucht
I think it makes no sense for Tesla to know what the problem is and then deciding not to do anything about it. It's much more plausible that they can't figure out why some people are having issues and others aren't. I can't speak to how wide spread the problem is. Of course in forums people who have issues are going to be more vocal than those who have no issues. In my real life encounters the people I personally know who own a model 3 are not having issues with their phone key functionality. But that is a sample size and isn't a good representation either.

i don't believe they're not trying to fix it, nor do i believe they might not eventually figure it out (even this is questionable with the number of different potential phone/os/bluetooth combinations out there)...but they're doing a horrific job thus far for a tech company as revered as they are.

my contention is not at all that i think they're not trying - it's that they shouldn't have released a $60k car with the entry system in this state to begin with. if phone key wasn't bulletproof FOR EVERYONE (and it's clearly not), they should have had the hardware in the car to use a RF fob.

Reactions: jsmay311
i don't believe they're not trying to fix it, nor do i believe they might not eventually figure it out (even this is questionable with the number of different potential phone/os/bluetooth combinations out there)...but they're doing a horrific job thus far for a tech company as revered as they are.

my contention is not at all that i think they're not trying - it's that they shouldn't have released a $60k car with the entry system in this state to begin with. if phone key wasn't bulletproof FOR EVERYONE (and it's clearly not), they should have had the hardware in the car to use a RF fob.
I agree they should have provided a fob in addition to the phone key. Even though the phone works fine for me, I would still like a choice and I'm sure other people would have as well.

they shouldn't have released a $60k car with the entry system in this state to begin with. if phone key wasn't bulletproof FOR EVERYONE (and it's clearly not),
As many have already said, even if the phone key was "bulletproof" when released, it might not be when the software or hardware changes. New updates. New phones. New bugs. Can't really nail down a moving target like that without someone, somewhere, ending up standing outside his locked car wondering WTF. Or a lot of someones.
And yes, a tech company should have known better.
Robin

Interesting that it does not support passive entry. That is one of my favorite features about our S. I often walk away from our other vehicles forgetting to lock them now.
Same here! I also often forget to get the keys out of the ignition in our other vehicles ALL the time. It's like, "I'm in park, I'm getting out." NOT! I love my Model S!

Anyone else having problems connecting the key fob. I inserted the batteries correctly, tried both included batteries in addition to brand new ones. When I place the fob behind the cup holders (where the card goes) it doesn’t detect it. I think I have a faulty one.

Anyone else having problems connecting the key fob. I inserted the batteries correctly, tried both included batteries in addition to brand new ones. When I place the fob behind the cup holders (where the card goes) it doesn’t detect it. I think I have a faulty one.

Battery will not prevent you from scanning the fob. The battery is only for the push buttons. It has a chip in it and functions exactly like a key card. The battery allows you to lock and unlock the car from a distance by pressing the buttons. If the battery ever goes dead, unlike most fobs, you still have the ability to scan it on the door and center console as a back up. From that respect, it's pretty nice.

Anyway, to answer your question, when I scanned mine, it took a second for the car to pick it up. If you're following the steps correctly, should be able to scan it either way. I would just be patient with it. Unfortunately, there's no set "exact" spot to place the key card or fob, we only know "about" where the chip reader is at. With key fob, i think because it's plastic, thus thicker material covering the chip, it's not quite as sensitive as a key card and you have to be more precise with its location, both on the door and console. I would follow the steps to add the fob, when it tells you to scan it, move it around very slowly on the console in the area where you place the key card to start the car.

Moving it slowly gives you the chance to run over the exact spot of the scanner below the console, while moving slowly allows it the time in needs to pick it up. If you move it around too quickly, with the more limited scanning point, you might just be crossing past the scanner and not giving it time to pick it up when you hit the sweet spot.

Hope that helps. Some other's had the same issues as you. When they tried the above, they got it to work.

Reactions: RaWPower