Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Key Fob is here: $150

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was raining today, fob in pocket was an easy choice today. I really am conflicted over handling my phone all the time walking out to the car, and also trying to carry my purse and any other things I'm taking with, just to make sure I'm bluetooth connected when I want to get in. At least my phone wasn't getting rained on.

Only thing I need to remember is to lock on leaving since I wasn't using my phone but I've trained myself to listen for the honk so silence is now a mental alert to lock it. Oh and I waited too long during one of our errand stops to brake to start the car and had to pull out my key card to start. Nothing is perfect I guess.

It was raining today, fob in pocket was an easy choice today. I really am conflicted over handling my phone all the time walking out to the car, and also trying to carry my purse and any other things I'm taking with, just to make sure I'm bluetooth connected when I want to get in. At least my phone wasn't getting rained on.

Only thing I need to remember is to lock on leaving since I wasn't using my phone but I've trained myself to listen for the honk so silence is now a mental alert to lock it. Oh and I waited too long during one of our errand stops to brake to start the car and had to pull out my key card to start. Nothing is perfect I guess.
At least in the case of waiting too long, you should in theory be able to place the fob in the keycard's place as it should also operate as a keycard. Though I'm not sure if there's an additional pairing step or if it knows it's RFID identity from pairing the fob as a fob ... in case that's easier than getting the keycard for you.

I use both. The key fob and phone. Agreed in the rain it was much easier opening the car or the trunk. If one of my family members wants something out of the car I just hand them the key fob.

Reactions: Hans L
My Model 3 key card holder with key ring just arrived. Had seen one at our detailers on their key board and thought it solved some issues. The key card slips in and is secure so no worries it will fall out. The clips at the top and bottom help secure it in place. To removed you push it out with your thumbs through the center cut out. The key ring makes it easy for service to hang.

IMG_9906.JPG

Ordered it off Amazon and mine ran 7.99 plus free ship. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B9KJSCF

Last edited:
I recently got the Key Fob. I'm finding that I use it a lot, mainly in the mornings getting the car out of the garage. For whatever reason, my car takes a long time to wake up using the just the phone at home. Probably 30-40% of the time, I would have to reset the Bluetooth to enable passive access with the phone. With the Fob, everything gets activated the second I double click on either the trunk or roof on the Fob. Very fast and efficient.

But once I'm out of the house and about, I use the phone for passive access as it works quite well outside of the house.

The other benefit is when I'm home and need to access to the car, I don't need my phone and if I use the Fob to unlock the car, it will remain unlocked until I single click on the Fob. Convenient as it was sorta a pain that the car locks within a few seconds after walking away with the phone when at home - especially when washing the car. Sure, I can go into the app and unlock it, but again, that's a 20 second hassle, waiting for the app to open and the car to wake-up.