Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Key Fob Summon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my key fob a week or so ago now and I’m pretty disappointed to far. Summon just doesn’t seem to work at all. It goes into summon mode with the hazards flashing and mirrors folding but it will not move. I press the front and then nothing. I’ve tried holding the front direction and nothing. I’ve double clicked and it pops the frunk.

I have continuous key press turned off in the summon preferences as I read that it needed to be set that way. I’ve tried on SW versions 2019.20.1, 2019.20.2.1, and 2019.20.4.1, behavior remains the same.

On a side note, it seems to work poorly or at least inconsistency, unlocking the car as well. The center button snap ratio (how much it clicks) compared to the frunk and trunk buttons is terrible. It’s hard to tell it’s if it has been pushed or not, almost zero tactile snap felt. I’m pretty disappointed for $150+.

The main reason why I purchased was to have a fast and reliable method to use summon. It doesn’t do that at all right now.

I love my Tesla key fobs. But then my wife and I are fortunate enough not to need 24/7 continuously staffed, home offices (that is: smart phones). So the fobs are great with opening-locking and driving just like a genuine metal key would have been (except that its battery couldn't die).

Today I changed my "customize summon" to not require continuous press. Now for the first time I can get the lights blinking for summon. But I was unable to get the car to move forward or backward pressing the fob ends. I did get it (one time out of ten) to back up using my IPAD.

But my location has only spotty cellphone signal and on-and off-again wifi at the car. I will try again in cell and wifi range.