Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Key Fob [video review]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought the fob last year and have retired it to the safe in the house. It didn't work well for me. Maybe 20% of the time (pretty often) it wouldn't work and I'd have to reach down to my pocket and "shake" my pocket to wake it up. Apparently it goes to sleep if it doesn't detect motion. Either I have a light step or maybe mine was defective and it takes too much motion to wake it. I bought it because my phone was unreliable when I got the car but now that my phone updated to Android 12, it works flawlessly every time; much better than the flaky fob. I'd be happy to hear from others if they've ever experienced that because I always wondered if mine was just too "tight" on the wake-up motion detection.

Mike

...much better than the flaky fob. I'd be happy to hear from others if they've ever experienced that ...
My wife and I have both been using a fob with our Model 3 for over 2 years without issues, even when they started getting low battery warnings they worked fine. There can be a bit of lag before the door opens if the car is actually in deep sleep but that would happen with a phone, fob or keycard.

lol didn't know this needed a video...

ive had the fob since 3/2020 and it just works . i got an abstract ocean clear plastic cover it slips into and that keeps it protected and gives it some grip (its not slick feeling). the fob is abso-smurfly worth it.

as far as i am concerned, you dont NEED it at all. just like these aftermarket electric front trunk accessories -- its not necessary but it does offer some convenience.
for me, if i want to open the trunk or front trunk or start summon, its a button press. dont even have to take it out of my pocket -- just press the button at the appropriate spot on the fob and boom goes the dynamite. :p

I have the first gen (no passive entry) version of the fob. I keep it in my front pocket as it's my backup when (not if) my phone does not unlock the car. It requires a physical press to unlock and lock the 3 which I don't mind since that's the way all my previous fobs worked.

I have the fob, keycard, a smart ring, and my phone with me at all times. With the exception of my phone, they all have a small form factor that makes carrying them on me relatively easy.

I rank them from best to worst in the following order: 1. fob, 2. keycard, 3. phone, 4. smart ring. The phone scores low specifically because of reliability concerns. Especially after experiencing the major server outage a few months ago that left so many locked out of their cars for hours. Since that time, I have run into a couple more episodes of a 401 server error on my phone that only lasted a few minutes.

The fob is probably the most convenient and reliable out of all the bunch. I don't need to tap the car to open the doors and I don't need a network connection to operate the car.

In addition, the smart ring can be a pain in the ass to remember to put when I leave the house. It really is the keycard in circular a ring form.

All that said the phone obviously offers the most features and needed for a true Tesla experience. But then again, it's the least reliable especially if you lose network connection.

Waiting for delivery of my first Tesla, but based in other discussion threads I was under the impression that you could also use the phone as a key card (assuming it has NFC). So even with 'Aeroplane Mode', you could hold the phone to the door (exactly the same a the keycard) and it would unlock etc. Is this correct?

Waiting for delivery of my first Tesla, but based in other discussion threads I was under the impression that you could also use the phone as a key card (assuming it has NFC). So even with 'Aeroplane Mode', you could hold the phone to the door (exactly the same a the keycard) and it would unlock etc. Is this correct?
You are correct. the phone can be used as a keycard with NFC enabled. It has all the limitations that a keycard has. It just becomes a more expensive keycard.

I know curiosity killed the cat… But I just went and checked how much key fobs were. 😂😵‍💫😂🤣. I’m open to anything as a back up… Never mind.
Back in Nov. 2018 I bought my Tesla key fob after some very serious thought. Total was $163.88 including the 9.25% sales tax. That was the first generation which is not passive entry. I believe my BMW E46 fob (2000) was something like $100-$120 when I had to replace one of them only a few weeks after getting the car. Needless to say that I'm really careful now on where I place it...

Reactions: BMWM3Man