Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - Key Fob yes/no?

Key Fob or no thank you?

• Yes - Key Fob me!

Votes: 219 59.3%
  • No Fob for me, thank you.

Votes: 150 40.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is a bit surprising that so many people are against having a key fob. Couldn't the app still be used as well?

For me, besides the embarrassment of trying to show someone the car without the ability to get in it's also inconvenient waiting for the door to unlock (especially in the rain) so I for one want a fob. Also, while dropping our car off for window tinting it was pointed out to me that there is a scratch on the black paint where the key makes contact to unlock. His guess was that my bead bracelet scratched it while taping the card to get in - and he's probably right - so be careful who you are handing the card off to!o_O:eek:

My answer will depend if they throw in an extra free one or if it's a choice between the two, or if it's an optional extra.

If it's the first, why not? If it's the latter two, then I would opt for the keycard instead. I always have my phone and wallet (where I can put keycard) with me, but not always my fob.

While it would be a good move for Tesla to give people an option (and I'd happily take a fob as a backup), I'd personally be more than happy using my phone -- if it worked as consistently as a fob.

Early indications are not good on this. Maybe future software updates will fix this, but it also might just be the way it is. That would be a pretty big black eye for Tesla and the Model 3, so hopefully that's not the case.

Definitely Key Fob for me as I can also attach my keys. I was told by Tesla that my phone should work just like the key fob as my MS. But it's not working for me and I have to open the apps in order to connect to my M3 which is very inconvenience. I've reported this problem and the service manager told me that there're customers also experienced the same the issue. Probably future firmware updates will fix the problem.

I'd willingly pay $250 for a fob. Which is kind of a silly price, except I've heard that touted as the cost to replace a fob for some makes, so ... I'd do it. I have to carry around half a dozen keys anyways for work (so I can get into the office if things go haywire and the RFID readers aren't working or something, plus access to various areas not enabled for card access, etc), so losing a fob isn't really gaining me much besides annoyance when things don't work perfectly.

I agree with the sentiment of the phone being fine "if it worked as consistently as a fob" - but I'm not going to buy a new phone every year, and I don't want to buy a new one this year either. My HTC One m9 is a few years old now but functions well enough. I don't game on it, the battery life is adequate (at least so far without having used it as a key)... but especially on the Android side of things, moment-to-moment performance is not always reliable. I imagine there will be plenty of times on older (as in, not the current latest generation) devices where key operation will be laggy, or require restarting the app, or ... my point being that the app could be perfect, but the fact it's on a phone that is multitasking and doing other things may lead to an inconsistent experience, which is unacceptable when you're replacing something like a key(fob).

And I really feel bad for anyone who has more than one Tesla, I mean, it'd be really a #firstworldproblem but if you're on the wrong vehicle selection when you walk up it won't unlock, that'll be so annoying.

• Love
Reactions: MP3Mike and kavyboy
I have an Android (Samsung) phone, and have the Tesla app running in the background with the Model 3 selected. Unfortunately, the phone does not reliably open the car door when approaching. I have to constantly get my wallet out to open the door AND use it inside to start the car. I'm currently looking for an oversized plastic sleeve that I can hang from my lanyard and carry my company work badge and the Tesla key back to back so I can have it around my neck on work days and it is available to use.

I drove a lot today with many stops and had to use my wallet many times to get in the car and start it. It's not very convenient...

I'm currently looking for an oversized plastic sleeve that I can hang from my lanyard and carry my company work badge and the Tesla key back to back so I can have it around my neck on work days and it is available to use.
Exactly. I've been saying this for a while now, and don't want to overstay my welcome, but the keycard needs to be the primary key. Hang it on your keychain where it is handy, or in your badge holder. The phone needs to be secondary. There is no way to understand the intent of someone walking to, near, by, around, etc. a car. There's no mind reading API into my brain. Unlocking a car is a significant security event that cannot be taken lightly when in unfamiliar areas, at night, in parking garages, etc. An unlock needs to be explicit, both in terms of when it is performed and what it includes (which doors), and be done without taking ones attention off the environment. Reaching into your pocket to press a key fob is perfect. Poking at your phone to unlock it first, flip, flip, filp, find and start the app, etc., or even reaching into your pocket to bring out and wave your wallet around for all to see are unacceptable from a safety perspective.

These problems, and their solutions, have been known for years. Key fobs with multiple buttons, or the use of multiple presses, work. Tesla broke it by taking a step too far in using the phone as the primary key. Cool, definitely. Safe and reliable, no. For a company that trumpets how safe their cars are, they are failing a very important test.

I would not be opposed to a clip hole in the key card so it could be clipped to a lanyard. Seems logical.

its-only-logical.jpg

If the phone worked as reliably as a fob there would be no need for this poll or discussion. Unfortunately, the phone does not work anywhere near 'reliable'. In fact after 4 years of electric car ownership I am finally experiencing range anxiety - the closer I get the car the more anxiety I feel - watching ... waiting - will the mirrors unfold indicating the doors are unlocked? - no not this time. Will they unfold when the handle is pushed? - nope.

Oh well, maybe it's time to suck it up and start wearing a lanyard. Better than a big clock I suppose. :D

I have an Android (Samsung) phone, and have the Tesla app running in the background with the Model 3 selected. Unfortunately, the phone does not reliably open the car door when approaching. I have to constantly get my wallet out to open the door AND use it inside to start the car. I'm currently looking for an oversized plastic sleeve that I can hang from my lanyard and carry my company work badge and the Tesla key back to back so I can have it around my neck on work days and it is available to use.

I drove a lot today with many stops and had to use my wallet many times to get in the car and start it. It's not very convenient...
I agree that your 'mickey mouse' solution is a reasonable workaround. I do not carry a smartphone with me, I do not want to pay $40/mo. for another cell phone line, I do not want to carry a no-connection smartphone as a glorified key fob in my pocket which is 4 times the size of a regular key fob, and I do not want to pull my wallet out every time I need to access my car. Like @RandyS I will attach a lanyard to my key card, attach it to a belt loop (to prevent loss) and stuff the whole thing into my pocket. Yes, this is a 'mickey mouse' solution for a simple key fob.

I put the fob in the watch pocket of my jeans. I can operate anything (except summon) easily without removing it. The rest of the time, I forget it's even there.The fob is simply the perfect key for me.
That's the way I operate too. I've even declined to purchase some types of pants because there was no fob pocket. But I'm giving the phone/card a chance.

Going by all the accounts from people experiencing problems with the app, coupled with the fact that the back-up solution, i.e. the card, doesn't seem to work when the car is covered in ice/dirt from wintery conditions (I'm not talking about snow), I would definitely prefer a standard keyfob. I mean, the S and X have one, every normal car has one, why can't the 3 have one? They don't have to lose the app in exchange for it, do they?

Are the issues with mostly Android or iPhone? Or does it occur with both phones? I'm curious if the issues are mostly with older phones (maybe indicating hardware quality issues or outdated OS's)?

I'm completely ok with Tesla offering a FOB, as long as it doesn't add to the base price of the car, just make it an optional upgrade or accessory purchase, because I don't see myself ever wanting one.

Reactions: davedavedave

It's usually a sign of a poorly thought-through design when a device forces you to find ways to adapt to it, rather than the other way around.
Robin

Reactions: T34ME