Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - Key Fob yes/no?

Key Fob or no thank you?

• Yes - Key Fob me!

Votes: 219 59.3%
  • No Fob for me, thank you.

Votes: 150 40.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Neither my wife nor I would want a fob if the phone connection were reliable 99% of the time. But for us it is reliable maybe 50% of the time.

Tesla spent money to design, test, and configure this means of access to our Model 3s, and we know that the costs incurred are baked into the selling price of the vehicles. Just how much we do not know. But I would surmise that if the only access were the little credit-card sized backup plan, that the price of the vehicle would be a few bucks less, or we would have something else in its stead that might actually work.

In essence, Tesla foisted upon us the phone access, and this access method does not work in the way that it was intended. Nor does Tesla know why, or if they do, they are not doing anything about it. Service and the telephone folks are helpless to resolve the issue.

We are not angry or upset. Merely frustrated and disappointed. At least we can drive the car, even if we have to fumble around with the little card, keep it handy, and remember to use it to lock the car upon exit.

• Informative
Reactions: BioSehnsucht
I am really happy for all for whom the phone key is working reliably. We've had our 3 since December 27. My Galaxy S7 was easy to set up and worked fine for about a week and then became reliable. My wife's S5 never worked. I did the usual uninstall and reinstall the app dance making sure everything was up to date and in synch. This resulted in neither phone working and reestablishing the phone as key would not work. I'm fairly tolerant and am convinced that this will work eventually. Several software upgrades later and I was able to reinitiate the phone as key but still unreliable operation. I should add that several visits to the service center merely left the puzzled they also could not get it to work. I confirmed that both phones were using the correct versions of bluetooth and that the phone settings were correct. Finally, on Wednesday I had the sevice center push the latest firmware release to my car. The best they could do was 2017.50.13, For some reason they could not get 2018.4.6 to load. This appears to have solved the problem for my S7, my wifes S5 is still not working.

But there is another issue. I miss the convenience of the fob for opening the frunk. Also, I have a really tight fit for my S90D and use summon regularly to get the car in and out of the garage. I know that this can be done with the app but it is far faster and simpler using the Fob. Additionally, there are security issues with the phone unlocking all doors.

I've been driving EVs since 2011, Teslas since early 2013. I am not a Luddite and consider myself an early adopter. I am retired, but made my living developing computer systems and developing mainframe internet integration. I also, accept that those on the cutting edge of technology sometimes get bloodied. My wife, not so much.

What do we - those of us who are frustrated with the phone key and do want a fob - do about it? Rather than complain individually to folks at various service centers (to no avail), should we launch a formal “signed petition” and send to Elon or someone at HQ?! We’ve got over a 100 potential signatories here...

Having given it more thought, it would be rather simple to modify the phone app to allow authorization of ANY bluetooth device detected. This would solve the flip-phone, non-cellphone, fob and valet concerns with minimal effort.

/non-tweeter

As I understand it, it's not as simple as just detecting a known Bluetooth MAC address, at least as far as the phone implementation occurs. There's an actual 2-way handshake that occurs so that the car can verify the phone is one of the expected phones and not simply a cloned device with the same Bluetooth address/identifier.

That's not to say that making it work with more devices isn't possible, but the implementation as it is would not work for that. And making it as simple as just detecting a specific BT device in range would make spoofing (and thus breaking into and stealing the vehicle) far too easy.

My phone key worked well for this first month, now it is useless. Rebooting phone fixes it for 1/2 day then it gets stuck on Disconnected. It seens to stop working after using bluetooth for a phone call in the car. Galaxy S7 Edge.

It's awesome when it works, but frustrating when it doesn't. Hopefully they'll figure it out.

This is a huge issue for those of us with some phones( I have pixel). Google and Tesla are finger pointing to the detriment of the customer. Using the card without distance opening is a severe safety hazard particularly with children who need to get in from passenger side. The grocery shopping experience is miserable since we have to get to the pillar before the trunk. Removing the charger is the same poor experience as that of managing grocery bags.

This is a huge issue for those of us with some phones( I have pixel). Google and Tesla are finger pointing to the detriment of the customer. Using the card without distance opening is a severe safety hazard particularly with children who need to get in from passenger side. The grocery shopping experience is miserable since we have to get to the pillar before the trunk. Removing the charger is the same poor experience as that of managing grocery bags.

Maybe time to get another phone?

My friend loves this type keyfob so much in CA from Amazon.
keyfob holder.jpg

We’ve had the same 2 remote key fobs for a 2008 Toyota Highlander for 10 yrs. They work every time. Maybe have replaced the batteries twice on each one. Also the 2008 Highlander is a push start ignition.

I lost have lost count on how many phones we have gone through in this period of time. Here are a few reasons below

Broken camera

Fell in the bathtub with water

In my pants pocket when pushing my boat out of the water to dock on a beach,

outdated software/ so I have to upgrade to another phone to use some current apps,

Now Apple is replacing my batteries on 2 current iPhones we own.

I might be wrong, but on the model x/s forum is there any thread 31 pages long concerning their key fob problems?

We’ve had the same 2 remote key fobs for a 2008 Toyota Highlander for 10 yrs. They work every time. Maybe have replaced the batteries twice on each one. Also the 2008 Highlander is a push start ignition.

I lost have lost count on how many phones we have gone through in this period of time. Here are a few reasons below

Broken camera

Fell in the bathtub with water

In my pants pocket when pushing my boat out of the water to dock on a beach,

outdated software/ so I have to upgrade to another phone to use some current apps,

Now Apple is replacing my batteries on 2 current iPhones we own.

I might be wrong, but on the model x/s forum is there any thread 31 pages long concerning their key fob problems?
On the X forum in the beginning there were a lot of folks having issues with autopresent doors due to fob being too close. There was also some musings about how folks can steal S's by replay attack, that technically the 3 (and possibly the X though it has reg fob signals too) should be immune to. I don't know if those posts were 31 pages though.

• Informative
Reactions: cellogig
I panicked because my phone wasn't working due to a software download in the middle of the night and of course the black key card slipped off to somewhere in a black car. At least they should have a slot to securely place the card in and a chime to remind you to take it with you. I left it in the car when shopping once. Wife's Blackberry (don't laugh, it has keys!) isn't supported. Prius fob in purse or pocket much more convenient.

Reactions: cellogig
The lack of a fob is a loss of functionality for me. My place of work does not allow phones in the building at all. With my current 6 year old car, I can stand at a window and start my car in the parking lot to get it warmed up/cooled down. Keyfob is even bidirectional so I get an indicator light in case I can't see the car. Now I have to go out and do the cold car walk of shame like some kind of luddite.

Reactions: MP3Mike