Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Key FOB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M3 Fob worth the wait. Had mine awhile , but now starting to regularly use it. Super slick so I knew it would fall out of my pocket. Just received a really cool cover from Abstract Ocean , that has labels on the cover explaining the points to press for operating Fob. And has a rubber feel and ring ,so no problem with losing now. Most people know what a key Fob is so if needing to Valet or loan M3, they should be able to figure it out. Lots of colors to choose from on A.S. Ocean site. Next to learn how to use Summon feature.

I do want one. Just can’t justify it just to have it sit on my shelf.

Since you have FSD, I would say the most useful feature of the key fob is probably the ability to summon offline. If you're in a parking garage with no signal for the car or your phone, you cannot summon. But the key job uses a radio-frequency connection instead, and can summon forward or back.

• Love
Reactions: Pkmmte
Seems like there is a mad rush to buy these. I got an email from Tesla saying they are available, and within a minute or two I added it to my chart. But I can't check out because the website keeps crashing.

Got my Model3 KeyFob, Setup Summon on Dashboard, but when I press the center button Summon starts, then when I press the rear button the charge port opens and Summon stops. On firmware 2019.20.1. Everything else works.
Anyone else having this problem with Summon and the KeyFob?

Got my Model3 KeyFob, Setup Summon on Dashboard, but when I press the center button Summon starts, then when I press the rear button the charge port opens and Summon stops. On firmware 2019.20.1. Everything else works.
Anyone else having this problem with Summon and the KeyFob?
I just got mine yesterday, I’ll have to set it up and try it tonight.

My key takes typically 3 tires to lock the car for some reason. When I exit after driving, with the doors unlocked and walking away, if I press the center section once the car beeps twice to indicate its unlocked. The 2nd time I press it once it will still beep twice, and the 3rd time it will lock and beep once. It does this every time I try to lock the doors. If I press the center section twice it still beeps twice. Its possible this is since my car is probably still in transport mode, since my app isnt working and some features are greyed out.

And for whatever reason the little car key appears to be slower and less sensitive than the flat key at turning the car on. Sometimes I need to wave it around the back of the cupholder area for 10-20 seconds before it works. But if the car is unlocked with the key, it will turn on right away with the press of the brake. Its just sometimes difficult to get the car to unlock and lock with the key, which is rather odd.

Its very reliable at opening the trunk and frunk, but it does not support passive entry, so you still need to put it in the right spot for a bit before the car can be turned on. And if you get out of the seat you need to present the key again.

Could someone who uses the FOB please comment on how it works when you have your phone key with you? Will the phone take over once I enter the car? What I am hoping for is easy entry since sometimes the phone is not reliable but then when I leave the car for the car to automatically lock without having to use the FOB? Not sure if this makes sense- kinda want the best of both worlds I guess.

The physical key works much the same way as the plastic card. You still need to put it next to the cup holder to start the car. So your phone still is required if you don’t want to have to do that. The key only really works as a remote to open the trunk, funk, or unlock remotely. For some reason it takes several attempts for me to get the doors to unlock with the key, it just keeps locking them and randomly unlocks sometimes. I stopped carrying it.