Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Key Fob

Will you get a Model 3 Keyfob

• Yes

Votes: 46 28.8%
  • No

Votes: 66 41.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 49 30.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I could actually attach my house keys to it then I may consider it but as you can’t without buying an extra band to wrap around it then I see it as just another thing to carry around or lose.
I purchased one of these £7 rubber fob covers from Amazon.
As well as making the fob more difficult to slip out of hand or pocket, it covers the fob completely protecting it from scratches, provides easy to see symbols and position of the buttons and provides something to attach to a house key ring.
The fob, plus the house keys, still fits in one of those Faraday key pouches to provide safe storage if required.
Fob Cover.jpg

Well its another £17 on top and kind of spoils the look.

They should have just included a key ring on it, does anybody just carry around the fob by itself loose in their pocket?
I agree they should have fitted a key ring. I have the band with a ring but keep in in a rf sealed pouch in my pocket, so I have the hassle of removing it from the pouch, but I deem it’s worth it.

I have a fob for my 3. Soon to transfer to Y. Plug/unplug, have fob in pocket. Walk up to the car, press button on TWC. Done. Can’t stand the key cards. Plus it looks cool. I had heard you can link a fob to a profile but not done this.
Is the phone not that slick? I plan to keep the card in my wallet but I was hoping the phone would be fairly strait forward. However, it reads as if the old tech still works better.

Is the phone not that slick? I plan to keep the card in my wallet but I was hoping the phone would be fairly strait forward. However, it reads as if the old tech still works better.
The card is a right pain, to be honest. If you’re on the latest iPhone, phone is probably fine. I bought a fob as my Honor 10, which I loved in ever respect other than being crap at opening a Tesla, was crap at opening a Tesla. Then I realise my Honor 10 stopped having security updates in 2020, and if it all went wrong I’d lose my bank balance and have a massive fine from the ICO. So now I’ve got an iPhone which I hate and a fob which I love. And I’ve never tried to even program the iPhone as a key

AND - with a fob you can press a button and just have charge cable release in the morning. Worth it for that alone

The card is a right pain, to be honest. If you’re on the latest iPhone, phone is probably fine. I bought a fob as my Honor 10, which I loved in ever respect other than being crap at opening a Tesla, was crap at opening a Tesla. Then I realise my Honor 10 stopped having security updates in 2020, and if it all went wrong I’d lose my bank balance and have a massive fine from the ICO. So now I’ve got an iPhone which I hate and a fob which I love. And I’ve never tried to even program the iPhone as a key

AND - with a fob you can press a button and just have charge cable release in the morning. Worth it for that alone
I had to Google what an Honor 10 was! I still miss my Sony W810i. I loved that phone, weeks of battery life, excellent call quality and small. But that was in the age of interesting phone designs -pop out keyboards, flip versions… , now they all look the same.

I’m going to order the key so I can compare. It would be a good back up to have if I get frustrated with using the phone.

iphone with tesla widget works for me. Gives me an unlock charge port button on the widget so fairly easy to get to. Have it on my watch too but find myself just using the phone.

I think you can use siri shortcuts too so can probably do it by voice but haven’t tried.

I would pay money for a smart button from tesla that just did the charge port. The key fob does that, but I don’t need the rest of the features - just the unlock on a small button I put on my keychain

iphone with tesla widget works for me. Gives me an unlock charge port button on the widget so fairly easy to get to. Have it on my watch too but find myself just using the phone.

I think you can use siri shortcuts too so can probably do it by voice but haven’t tried.

I would pay money for a smart button from tesla that just did the charge port. The key fob does that, but I don’t need the rest of the features - just the unlock on a small button I put on my keychain
I’m fitting the Tesla charger as I know that having the open charger feature will be appreciated.

Reactions: Mrklaw
I’m fitting the Tesla charger as I know that having the open charger feature will be appreciated.

I went for a posh leather keychain accoutrement. Handmade by Crazy Smith.

I recently appreciated a fob feature: the car will tell you when the battery is low. It did this outside my place in Spain with the fob nowhere to be seen. It triggered a fruitless search in handbags, desk drawers, the car and likely hiding spots over two countries... ultimately found in wife's sweater drawer upon our return to our Spanish home.

CR2354, by the way :)

fob.jpg

Reactions: Durzel
I went for a posh leather keychain accoutrement. Handmade by Crazy Smith.

I recently appreciated a fob feature: the car will tell you when the battery is low. It did this outside my place in Spain with the fob nowhere to be seen. It triggered a fruitless search in handbags, desk drawers, the car and likely hiding spots over two countries... ultimately found in wife's sweater drawer upon our return to our Spanish home.

CR2354, by the way :)

View attachment 778263
I like that.. any more details?

Yeah I managed to find it after some Googling. It looks like they only sell an X and S version. Did you just buy the S version and I presume it fits properly? ~£91 seems quite a lot (especially in Aliexpress terms - I've been spoilt by getting stuff for like £3 with £1 delivery, unreal) but if it is handmade and decent quality then I can accept that.