Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

model 3 Key fob

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How are you liking this so far? Looks like the kind of material that is squeaky plastic?

I use this one from Abstract.

3545_source_1586037718.png

I have the fob gen 1 without passive entry.
I much prefer the iPhone which has never failed, then carrying a janitors ring of keys and fobs in my pocket.
I use the fob for valets. But that’s a whole other issue.

No fob and takes me about 3 seconds to do any of the following:

•Unlock Car
•Enable Sentry Mode
•Open/Unlock Charge Port
•Open Frunk
•Open Trunk
•Set Climate Temperature
•Start Car

iPhone + Apple Watch + Stats App
Stats as Complication on Watch face:
1 second to raise wrist, 1 second to touch Stats Complication, 1 second to make choice from above.
The rest of the time the Complication displays SOC in Percentage and Miles

Not Bluetooth, so all of that from 5 feet away or 5 miles away

Last edited:
No fob and takes me about 3 seconds to do any of the following:

•Unlock Car
•Enable Sentry Mode
•Open/Unlock Charge Port
•Open Frunk
•Open Trunk
•Set Climate Temperature
•Start Car

iPhone + Apple Watch + Stats App
Stats as Complication on Watch face:
1 second to raise wrist, 1 second to touch Stats Complication, 1 second to make choice from above.
The rest of the time the Complication displays SOC in Percentage and Miles

Not Bluetooth, so all of that from 5 feet away or 5 miles away
Just requires a 400 dollar Apple watch...

• Helpful
Reactions: bcpm3p and lUtriaNt
My wife uses the fob all the time because she doesn’t own a cell phone. “How can you even exist today without a cell phone, you freak!” She exists quite well, thank you. She doesn’t want one (I’ve offered). She doesn’t need one.

I use the fob if my phone is upstairs and I need quick access to the car. I, too, like the compactness and light weight of the fob, but rarely travel without my phone.

Waste of money the iPhone X is synchronized with the card and unlocks my M3P when I approach it 100% of the time. It's never failed me once.

I have on a FOB for my 2016 MS 85 and the other day I forgot it in my car with the phone and was locked out in a super market car park....for a LONG time until I had the SC unlocked it remotely....try doing that without a phone....!

Waste of money the iPhone X is synchronized with the card and unlocks my M3P when I approach it 100% of the time. It's never failed me once.

I have on a FOB for my 2016 MS 85 and the other day I forgot it in my car with the phone and was locked out in a super market car park....for a LONG time until I had the SC unlocked it remotely....try doing that without a phone....!
Well if you order the new FOBs, they are passive unlock. So you can't lock a FOB in a car anymore.

Reactions: ICON
The v2 keyfob with passive entry is a must! I love it because I don't have to fumble with the app to pop the frunk.

Contrary to like 99.9% of TMC members who say they don't even use the frunk, I use my frunk multiple times a day every day. I put my laptop bag in there on the way to and from work, workout bag, groceries, kids diaper bags, general hauling anything that will fit in there.

Some members with the v2 key have experienced that the keyfob battery dies in less than 2 weeks. I got my v2 keyfob in January and it's been going strong still and I keep the keyfob in my jacket which is like less than 15ft away from the car in the garage 100% of the time. There is one setting I do have enabled which has probably prolonged the keyfob's battery life. I set it in TeslaFi to put the car to deep sleep anytime I'm parked at home.