Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 key fob

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone got a model 3 key fob?

The whole phone as a key thing works fine for me but dear lord am I bored of hearing the significant other complaining that her rubbish iPhone won't connect to the car properly.

So two questions really...anyone else with an iPhone have the same issues with connections?
And
If you have a key fob...does it have the ability to attach to a key chain? The picture of Teslas website aren't clear...

Also is it worth £140 to shut the wife up?? Hahaha

Nope, the keyfob is extra-small and extra-slippery in the hand & pocket and is packed with two coincell batteries in a HUGE gift box.
It is smaller than the smallest PC mouse you can find at 70mm long, 35mm wide and 20mm high.
You can purchase the official Tesla neoprene "belt" that loops around front to back with a keychain loop on it.
Or you can get various flavours of complete neoprene covers with a small slide-in slot also with a keychain loop.

I have the latter design with markings on the cover showing where to press and what the three switches do.

(now all I need is a car to try it out on ;) )

Wife - what's one of them then eh?

Has anyone got a model 3 key fob?

The whole phone as a key thing works fine for me but dear lord am I bored of hearing the significant other complaining that her rubbish iPhone won't connect to the car properly.

So two questions really...anyone else with an iPhone have the same issues with connections?
And
If you have a key fob...does it have the ability to attach to a key chain? The picture of Teslas website aren't clear...

Also is it worth £140 to shut the wife up?? Hahaha

I don't have a fob but had considered getting one. I ultimately changed my phone to improve things but also changed my mind about a fob. Part of the problem is that even with a fob the car still has to wake up and generally get its act together before it will let you open the door. This can be fast or not so fast. From reports I have read of individuals with the fob this doesn't totally solve that delay that sometimes occurs. If the Tesla fob acted like a "dumb" car remote (like our Fiesta key fob) whereby one click makes the car instantly unlock I would be interested, but that's not how it is, I believe. The responsiveness of the car to the phone/fob seems to vary depending on depth of sleep and perhaps software versions. I've even read a post that said the fob itself goes into a low power mode and sometimes needs to be shaken to become active!

Many people are not interested in understanding the complexities of what a Tesla is doing in order to become fully functional ... they just want to get into the car fast and go! If your wife is in that category it may be an expensive fob if it doesn't totally solve the issue ... now ... somebody who actually has a fob will hopefully post here explaining why my caution is completely unfounded!

My Daughter has 2 fobs with her Model X which I've used frequently.

I much prefer the iPhone or key card for the 3. No extra bulk to carry around, more convenient, faster operation.

(...card is in a slim case attached to my house keys so normally in my pocket but rarely needed as the car always senses the phone)