Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Key User Manual

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PoitNarf

My dog's breath smells like dog food
Jun 7, 2016
NJ
Winston posted this in another thread, but it's got some interesting info in it:

For anyone interested, the short-term confidentiality on Tesla's "B-pillar Endpoint" expired recently, so photos of the unit and an excerpt from the manual is now available from the FCC.

OET List Exhibits Report

It has a TI CC2640R2F which is a Bluetooth 5 capable chip. CC2640R2F SimpleLink™ Bluetooth® low energy Wireless MCU | TI.com

Looks like each Model 3 will come with two key cards. After you've authenticated with a key card you'll have 15 seconds to start the car or else you need to authenticate again. You will also be able to pair up to 3 smartphones via bluetooth.

The manual also states that "Tesla does not support the use of third party applications to contact Model 3", so that could be bad for those hoping to use the Remote S app instead of the official Tesla app.

Attachments

• model_3_keys.pdf
    231.2 KB · Views: 350
"does not support" could just mean "won't help", not "will prevent" third-party apps. My guess would be the same features as on the S will work via a similar REST API, but the features that replace the key fob will require the official app.

You're probably right, or at least I hope you are. I've checked out the Remote S app a few times and it's got some pretty nice features. It would be annoying if the developer can't get it to work with at least some of the functions on the Model 3.

Anyone else is nervous about the fact that the Tesla app has to run in background in order to auto lock/unlock feature work? For example iOS kill apps in background without warning. When the iOS detects low memory it kills background apps like flies. It would be super annoying to have to randomly re-launch Tesla app whenever iOS decides to kill the app in background :(

Reactions: N5329K
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Anyone else is nervous about the fact that the Tesla app has to run in background in order to auto lock/unlock feature work? For example iOS kill apps in background without warning. When the iOS detects low memory it kills background apps like flies. It would be super annoying to have to randomly re-launch Tesla app whenever iOS decides to kill the app in background :(

Who says the Tesla app needs to be running? I'm pretty sure the car will unlock once it pairs with your phone via BT, no app needed unless you want to open trunk or start AC.

• Informative
Reactions: tomas
30 feet of distance? that actually kinda sucks. I don't have a garage. but my driveway is right along the house. 30 feet means it's possible that my car will unlock itself from a good 25-30% of the square footage of my home. (I know...likely less, since BT is more of a line-of-sight communication medium).

Who says the Tesla app needs to be running? I'm pretty sure the car will unlock once it pairs with your phone via BT, no app needed unless you want to open trunk or start AC.

Note: You must remain logged in to your MY TESLA account on the Model 3 mobile app to use your smart phone to access Model 3. The mobile app can be running in the background.

Why would they say this otherwise. To me it seems like they want to tell that you do not have to have the app running but it can be even running in background....but is must be either running or running in background.

Based on text from the manual it sounds like at least part of the app still needs to be running/active in the background for the unlocking to work. From the manual:

If you have access to your smart phone and you no longer want the smart phone to be used as a key to your Model 3, simply delete the Model 3 mobile app from the phone using the same method you use to delete any other app. Once the mobile app is removed, the phone can no longer be used to lock, unlock, or drive Model 3.

It doesn't mention any procedure that needs to be done on the Model 3 to remove a phone, just removing the app from the phone itself. We'll just have to wait for a non-employee to finally get theirs to confirm all of this.