Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Key User Manual

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious. So people using an accessory like a radio or A/C find it turns off after some elapsed time ? And then they step on the brake to start it up again ?
The car has seat sensors, so it shouldn't do that if someone is in the seat, but I'm not sure how true it is that it would shut down accessories after a while if no one is in the car.

The car has seat sensors, so it shouldn't do that if someone is in the seat, but I'm not sure how true it is that it would shut down accessories after a while if no one is in the car.
I looked this up in the Model S User manual. If you sit in the car for 15 minutes, the car powers off automatically.
The screen has a (somewhat buried) control to power down the car sooner if desired although I'm fairly certain that a casual driver or an owner who does not read the user manual carefully would be hard pressed to figure it out independently.

These questions probably come up rarely if at all for most drivers and I only thought of them because I was trying to reason by analogy (bad me!!) from an ICE ignition that has ACC and IG-ON modes. I'm still wondering if the car will have a mode that only activates 12v supplied components while leaving the traction battery and gear selector inoperative. I kinda sorta thought such an 'ACC' mode was a regulatory requirement but I'm far from sure.

I annoyed my poor wife by asking "you are happily sitting in the parked car waiting for a friend while listening to your fav podcast. Then the podcast stops. What then ?" I figured it was better to annoy her now than face her enraged and frustrated in a few months after she had the car towed when it "died" on her. I presume the answer is to step on the brake to start things up again ?

Most of us have been educated by years of malfunctioning electronics to "reboot" them, meaning power them off and then on. In a Tesla that does not have an obvious 'power down' switch I can imagine funny behaviors; and all the more so if the screen is frozen.

Perhaps the car will have a last ditch verbal instruction ?
"Please step away from the car. NOW"

Last edited:
Reactions: davedavedave
I annoyed my poor wife by asking "you are happily sitting in the parked car waiting for a friend while listening to your fav podcast. Then the podcast stops. What then ?" I figured it was better to annoy her now than face her enraged and frustrated in a few months after she had the car towed when it "died" on her. I presume the answer is to step on the brake to start things up again ?

My wife just touches the screen on the S, and it keeps on running whatever was going. She wants the AC on. But you don't have to find anyplace special to touch, just touch. Then, "Oh. You're here. OK." and everything kicks on again.

Really, Tesla has figured most of it out. Many of the complaints I read will be taken care of with OTA firmware fixes. Those of you who don't want to take a chance that your phone may not be able to bluetooth your special music, you know there are hundreds waiting in line behind you hoping you will step out.

I've never had any of these gut wrenching problems in the five years of owning Tesla. Sure beats the thirty years of Toyota before that.

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
I looked this up in the Model S User manual. If you sit in the car for 15 minutes, the car powers off automatically.
The screen has a (somewhat buried) control to power down the car sooner if desired although I'm fairly certain that a casual driver or an owner who does not read the user manual carefully would be hard pressed to figure it out independently.

These questions probably come up rarely if at all for most drivers and I only thought of them because I was trying to reason by analogy (bad me!!) from an ICE ignition that has ACC and IG-ON modes. I'm still wondering if the car will have a mode that only activates 12v supplied components while leaving the traction battery and gear selector inoperative. I kinda sorta thought such an 'ACC' mode was a regulatory requirement but I'm far from sure.

Most of us have been educated by years of malfunctioning electronics to "reboot" them, meaning power them off and then on. In a Tesla that does not have an obvious 'power down' switch I can imagine funny behaviors; and all the more so if the screen is frozen.

Perhaps the car will have a last ditch verbal instruction ?
"Please step away from the car. NOW"

You only need to step on the brake to put it in gear. The touscreen turns on when you enter the car, and I've definitely sat parked listening to music for more that 15 minutes without having it turn off. If I leave somebody sitting in the passenger seat they need to touch the screen to turn it on after I leave the car.

upload_2017-9-24_12-27-37.png

So the auto lock/unlock feature uses Bluetooth (great, my phone has that ;)) however, if I need to be logged in to my Tesla account on the app does that mean that there needs to be a LTE or WiFi connection at that time for the feature to function? Sorry for my app ignorance.

Also according to the manual, if the first phone which gets in range will open Tesla, it would be quite annoying when going out shopping together with my wife only to see our phones brawl for "ownership" each time we approach the vehicle :(
From an owner video; looks like you might need to select "ownership" yourself.

upload_2017-9-24_15-7-42.png

Last edited:
If you have to be logged into your Tesla account for a smart phone to work, this would be a bit of a problem when you are out of cell phone range. I have trouble understanding why a bluetooth connection (which should function based on the MAC) won't work without cellular.

Feature?

View attachment 249761

So the auto lock/unlock feature uses Bluetooth (great, my phone has that ;)) however, if I need to be logged in to my Tesla account on the app does that mean that there needs to be a LTE or WiFi connection at that time for the feature to function? Sorry for my app ignorance.
It shouldn't. Think of how the NFC card works (it doesn't have any internet connection, other than indirectly from the car). That line is likely to mainly to address the case where if you log out of the app deliberately and close it, then someone that opens the app afterwards won't be able to enter your car.

If it uses the web token from the app for authentication, that is stored on the phone and lasts 90 days (if Tesla had not changed expiration time from Model S). However, given the manual mentions that you need the keycard to activate the app for unlocking the car, perhaps they are using keys from the keycard. In that case, it would not need to be refreshed (no expiration).

Last edited:
If you have to be logged into your Tesla account for a smart phone to work, this would be a bit of a problem when you are out of cell phone range. I have trouble understanding why a bluetooth connection (which should function based on the MAC) won't work without cellular.

Feature?

You ahve to be logged in to authenticate the bluetooth host device to the car for the first time (and add the MAC address to the authorized devices list). The cell connection is kinda moot after that.

View attachment 249761

Feature?
You probably only need to have a connection when you first set it up, so the app can download the encryption keys. Then the app would store them locally.

Reactions: davedavedave
Um, how do you possibly setup BLE 4.2 secure pairing without ECDH key exchange? To elaborate on my thinking about why you need the app open to pair, it's to initiate OOB key exchange over TCP with SSL, to reduce the MITM attack surface.

Am I missing something? ;)

Let's say I park and sit in the car. How do I turn it off ?
It will turn off in 30 minutes unless you touch the screen to keep it awake. If you are talking about the motor, it is never off in the sense a ice is. It is just sitting there waiting for current. Most ices nowadays dont’t turn off completely They have vampire drain too.

Also according to the manual, if the first phone which gets in range will open Tesla, it would be quite annoying when going out shopping together with my wife only to see our phones brawl for "ownership" each time we approach the vehicle :(

I could be wrong, but I'm sure the range for allowing entry and choosing the "owner" profile will be in the order of 3 feet or, like almost all cars that sport keyless entry. I realize the manual says "30 feet" with respect to bluetooth, but that can be applied to lots of other things besides the BLE auto-unlock, like streaming music, app control, etc.

Based on text from the manual it sounds like at least part of the app still needs to be running/active in the background for the unlocking to work....

That part of it is in the context of setting up the phone - at least that's how I interpret it. I've got a couple of devices and apps that work with BLE authentication and they work this way. (e.g., August Smart Lock, AppleWatch/Mac unlock).

Um, how do you possibly setup BLE 4.2 secure pairing without ECDH key exchange? To elaborate on my thinking about why you need the app open to pair, it's to initiate OOB key exchange over TCP with SSL, to reduce the MITM attack surface.

Am I missing something? ;)

The ability to speak plain english? :)

What i want to know, is when you walk back to your car with your phone broadcasting "Hi everybody, i'm Daves phone", does the car just say "Hi Daves phone, i'm unlocked", or does it say "If you really are Daves phone, riddle me this..."?

The ability to speak plain english? :)

What i want to know, is when you walk back to your car with your phone broadcasting "Hi everybody, i'm Daves phone", does the car just say "Hi Daves phone, i'm unlocked", or does it say "If you really are Daves phone, riddle me this..."?

No bluetooth pairing just takes the work of the other device. Security is the entire point of having bluetooth pairing in the first place. That's why when you get a new phone you need to pair it with the car again, even if you've transferred all the software over. What level of security is sufficient for any particular application I couldn't say.