Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Keyfob Gen2 Battery Life

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jedi2155

Model 3 has Arrived.
Jul 6, 2018
Upland, CA
I've had my Gen 2 Keyfob for literally a week and my battery just died last night < 10 days old maybe only 7 days. I grabbed a multi-meter and measured the old battery (Panasonic CR2032) at 2.92v Voc and the replacement spare cell at 3.22v Voc.

I couldn't find a discharge curve for the button cell model exactly but I'm pretty sure 2.9v is close to being completely discharged. Quite surprised if this thing is eating through cells....

Ia3Js.png

I've had my Gen 2 Keyfob for literally a week and my battery just died last night < 10 days old maybe only 7 days. I grabbed a multi-meter and measured the old battery (Panasonic CR2032) at 2.92v Voc and the replacement spare cell at 3.22v Voc.

I couldn't find a discharge curve for the button cell model exactly but I'm pretty sure 2.9v is close to being completely discharged. Quite surprised if this thing is eating through cells....

Ia3Js.png
Awesome, now we can join the S/X owners in complaining about fob's dying too soon.

Wonder how close to your car you kept your fob. Clearly the fob wasn't going to sleep (or low power mode) like it should have been. Ooor the battery cells they gave us were already low...

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Awesome, now we can join the S/X owners in complaining about fob's dying too soon.

Wonder how close to your car you kept your fob. Clearly the fob wasn't going to sleep (or low power mode) like it should have been. Ooor the battery cells they gave us were already low...

I was wondering this as well, but I have a few thoughts:
  • At night the FOB is in the room closest to the garage roughly 10-20 feet away with 1 wall separating it. I'm going to move my key fob a bit further away.
  • During the day, my car may or may not be parked relatively close to my cubicle (40 -> 200 feet with 1 wall separating it). When I look at my local bluetooth devices though I see my Tesla Key Fob still.
I'm going to try to put my key fob in a metal box when i'm at home to see if that helps....or move it to another room further away.

I was wondering this as well, but I have a few thoughts:
  • At night the FOB is in the room closest to the garage roughly 10-20 feet away with 1 wall separating it. I'm going to move my key fob a bit further away.
  • During the day, my car may or may not be parked relatively close to my cubicle (40 -> 200 feet with 1 wall separating it). When I look at my local bluetooth devices though I see my Tesla Key Fob still.
I'm going to try to put my key fob in a metal box when i'm at home to see if that helps....or move it to another room further away.

Wow - I hadn't thought about that - perhaps it keeps connecting. I agree with some of the others my Gen 1 is looking more appealing!

If you pull the battery what does the car display about the key? For example, it is registered as valid device, but shows no connection. If that's the case put the battery back in and put it in the room where you are leaving it overnight. However, go out to the car using your phone or leave it unlocked see if it has a connection to the key fob.

It seems strange that the constant connection would drain the battery that quickly however. It's going to need to be connected to the car while driving so with time and driving you'd also drain the battery fairly quickly. Unless it varies the transmit power when it gets in the car to save the battery.

It still seems odd. Maybe you just got a dud and have some small partial short or other problem.