Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Keyfob Now Available for Purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...Not sure...

I asked for a Model 3 fob that works just like an S / X does. That means it should automatically lock and unlock the car but this Model 3 fob doesn't do that: You have to manually push on your Model 3 fob to lock and unlock each time.

It's a hassle with the phone because sometimes it doesn't automatically do that so I have to pull out my phone which is not very good when my hands are full then troubleshoot: Is the phone off? Is the right car on the app...

It's so automatic for the S / X. I guess that's why the S / X is more expensive than Model 3.

Yeah Im waiting to get the FOB key because my ifone is version 4, too old. So Im using the keycard but I would like to have an FOB key because I could then carry the house key also with the car key all on the same chain. Im not bothered by having to push a button. Can anyone tell me when shipment will start up again on the key FOB for model 3?

Yeah Im waiting to get the FOB key because my ifone is version 4, too old. So Im using the keycard but I would like to have an FOB key because I could then carry the house key also with the car key all on the same chain. Im not bothered by having to push a button. Can anyone tell me when shipment will start up again on the key FOB for model 3?

I received my fob on the 12/12. I had emailed the shop's online order support because it was suppose to arrive on the 11th but didn't. At that time they told me that if lost they'd put me on the next batch coming in, however they said "Our expected replenishment is overdue, but the target date for shipping is in the next couple of weeks". That was on the 11th. So I'd keep a daily watch on the item's page and jump on ordering as soon as you see it back In Stock.

Will also mention that it does not come with a lanyard with a key ring. I bought something off ebay. Plenty of options there. As for my fob I ordered it on 11/18 and as mentioned above was delivered on 12/12, so the 3-4 weeks delivery time from order is pretty reliable. You might want to have a fob cover/key ring ordered ahead of time if you want that key ring option.

Last edited:
Has anyone been able to return their keyfob? No instructions, I did get the battery installed and it successfully paired to my Model 3. How does one give this to a valet? Answer you really can't. Unlike ANY other keyfob for any other car there is no place for a key chain. Valets put it on a hook, no way to do that. A valet sticks it in their pocket...end of keyfob and someone has a key to your car. Sorry, this sucks. At least with the credit card key there are those holders employees put their id card in and the hook that can go around your neck or be latched to your key chain. Don't the Chinese use key chains? There was no room for a 2-3 mm hole to run a keychain through? I mean...REALLY????

No you can't...no hole. Just order it...I did when it showed sold out and I got mine today. See above review.

"does not support passive entry."

no thanks, i'll stick with the phone.
Yes, I get that. My phone is awkward to hold, store on one's body but passive entry/exit is awesome. However, for people viewing this, if you find yourself in a valet situation I think the keyfob is the only way to go. They put your keys on a board w/ eye hooks. That doesn't really lend itself to the credit card or your phone. Neither of which I'd give to a valet. You should ALWAYS keep your credit card key with you as last option to enter/use your car and it's too easy to disappear with a valet. Is it worth $150 plus cost of a case w/ ring for house key etc? YMMV.

On my $30k when new 7 year old car you can walk up to the drivers door with a fob in your pocket and open the door by pulling on the handle which can be done with your hands full. No need to press and pull. You aren't dependent on the model of your phone, the rev of its software or the state of its battery. And it came with two fobs.

On my $30k when new 7 year old car you can walk up to the drivers door with a fob in your pocket and open the door by pulling on the handle which can be done with your hands full. No need to press and pull. You aren't dependent on the model of your phone, the rev of its software or the state of its battery. And it came with two fobs.
No one is dependent on the age of their phone or rev of it's software. You get 2 credit card size keys, similar to the access keys I had as an employee for perhaps the last 20-30 years. Fits ever so nicely in wallet or purse. Just as I did with the access doors at work, waved my wallet at the sensor, in I went. Your 7 yr old $30,000 car didn't drive itself, did it? Now, for someone decades away from retirement and 70s that may not be a big thing, maybe instant torque is or 0-60 in 3 secs. Or maybe its fidelity to "lots of ways to make electricity, only one way to make oil". If the people of the planet bleed it dry of oil, it'll be a bad day in bedrock.