Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Keyfob Now Available for Purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BTW I bought the key card holder with key ring that I mentioned in this thread (thru Amazon seller, 7.99) and like it. The key card is snuggly held in the plastic holder and using your thumb in the cut out can be pushed back out. I'm keeping the empty holder in the glovebox for when I need to go to service and will insert the key card then. Figure the plastic will probably break or get cracked at some point and I can see the ring breaking off eventually too so plan to use just for this one purpose and not for regular use.

As for valets, I'll probably use the fob. I picked up a key fob cover that has a lanyard and ring with it and works well for when I need it to...like in rainy weather when my phone doesn't alway connect right away. Ebay has a lot of different Tesla key fob covers with key rings for less than $10 in silicone or colored leather so you can easily find something there, just search for "Tesla key fob cover". The fob for the Model 3 will fit in one for a Model S (have both fobs now and verified this). BTW if you have a white Model 3 and want a matching color fob cover in the classier leather version, I bought this Utopicar key fob cover from this seller: Utopicar Key fob Cover Tesla Model S - car Key Sleeve case Engineered Perfect... 708744502995 | eBay . White leather seems to garner a premium price (19.70) but includes shipping. The seller is in the U.S. as opposed to China so that might be part of it.

I got the "Seven Sparta Key Card Holder for Tesla Model 3 Silicone Key Chain(Black)" from Amazon. I just wanted some type of case to put the key card in when the car goes to the body shop for Due Bill paint repairs.
That must be new or I completely missed it when looking. For, likely, the last 10 or so years of working I had a security key card for access to where I worked at major corporations. They always provided a similar plastic holder and cloth-like neck thingie. I just put it in my wallet and, for the most part, just backed into the wall sensor. Worked fine. The problem I have with the M3 key cards is they are, essentially, the last resort to accessing your car. I don't view them as anything to be surrendered to valet parkers or service centers. I did purchase one key fob and put in in a "RoyalFox Genuine 3 Buttons Leather Key Fob case Cover for Tesla Model X, Car Remote Key Pouch Bag with Key Rings Kit Keychain Holder Metal Hook Black " which works great. On the key fob itself there is a pin where a wire loop connects to the ring for house keys etc. One click on the 'roof' locks the car, 2 clicks on the roof unlock. Pressing, and holding, the trunk opens the charge port, a quick press on the trunk or frunk opens them. Yeah, Tesla should have given 2 of them to purchasers with case.

Probably always a good idea after the car has been out of your possession to check the devices authorized to access your car when you get it back.

Awesome idea - thanks for the tip.

Any recommendations on what "key" to leave the Tesla approved body shop - key card or key fob ?? I haven't decided yet, but they will have the car for about 2 weeks correcting the many paint defects documented on my "Due Bill".

Awesome idea - thanks for the tip.

Any recommendations on what "key" to leave the Tesla approved body shop - key card or key fob ?? I haven't decided yet, but they will have the car for about 2 weeks correcting the many paint defects documented on my "Due Bill".
My personal feeling is the RFID cards are the last line of defense, so to speak. I don't plan to give mine to anybody. Is it worth $150 for the option of keeping them with you at all times? That's a personal choice. Unless the mechanic knows about the RFID card sensor he will have trouble with it. The roof on the case is marked for lock/unlock. They will still have to dangle it on the area behind the cup holders. Either way, unless whoever wants to access your car knows how to access your car, it'll be painful. The place where I go that has a valet only I just leave the keyfob in the cup holder for him.

So sounds like our key fob is being updated too! With a new 2019 update we’ll be able to use it to do Summons.

Today Summons and tomorrow ...? Passive entry maybe?? Guess not a wasted $150 after all. Gotta love this company.

This update is almost as cool as Sentry mode. Would really be amazing if we could summon instantly on my fob without the lag or connection issues that occur on the app.

So sounds like our key fob is being updated too! With a new 2019 update we’ll be able to use it to do Summons.

Today Summons and tomorrow ...? Passive entry maybe?? Guess not a wasted $150 after all. Gotta love this company.

Just be aware that that is a private beta, i.e. EAP, version of the firmware, and not all features that they test in the EAP program make it to public firmware releases.

Isn't passive physically impossible on a fob that doesn't transmit anything (beyond the super-short RFID functionality) unless you press a button?