Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Keyfob updated on Tesla shop to include passive entry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m deducing stuff here. Tell me where I’m wrong.

The way the car supports passive entry and walk-away lock is by noticing a paired Bluetooth device coming and going. Up till now, that means our phones. So I deduce that the new fob must be a Bluetooth device in order for the passive, no-hands features to work. True?

For Bluetooth to work no-hands, there must be a Bluetooth radio in the fob that’s live all the time. That’s going to suck the poor little coin-style batteries that power it pretty fast.

I’d love an alternative explanation.

The way the car supports passive entry and walk-away lock is by noticing a paired Bluetooth device coming and going. Up till now, that means our phones. So I deduce that the new fob must be a Bluetooth device in order for the passive, no-hands features to work. True?

For Bluetooth to work no-hands, there must be a Bluetooth radio in the fob that’s live all the time. That’s going to suck the poor little coin-style batteries that power it pretty fast.

Perhaps low energy bluetooth

A conversation in Tesla product management:

JIM: Hey, Tina, the new fob is out of engineering. We need to tell manufacturing how many to make. What do you think?

TINA: Hmm. Good question. Let’s get 100 of ‘em.

JIM: 100? Wow. That’ll tie up a lot of money in inventory. I was thinking more like 50.

TINA: Yeah, I’d hate to have Elon think we’re wasting cash. How about 75?

JIM: 75 is good! I’ll order them.

(A month later.)

TINA: Hey, Jim, the new fobs are in!

JIM: Great! I’ll put them on the website.

(An hour later.)

JIM: Wow! Tina, guess what. The fobs already sold out!

TINA: Oh, my. I had no idea they’d be popular.

JIM: No kidding. Me either. I’ll order another 50 from manufacturing.

I assume there is some BLE beacon action going on here (like tile).

"Battery life can range between 1–48 months. Apple's recommended setting of 100 ms advertising interval with a coin cell battery provides for 1–3 months of life, which increases to 2–3 years as advertising interval is increased to 900 ms.[12]"

• Informative
Reactions: CharleyBC