Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Keyfob updated on Tesla shop to include passive entry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been using my key fob non stop, Best item I've gotta for the car hands down!
  • my gf can chill in the car and continue to watch Netflix(don't have to forfeit my phone or change car settings)
  • valet service can now use my key and put it on a hook.
  • it's significantly faster than my phone, and so far have had a 100% success rate. (At least once or twice a week I'd have reset airplane mode, it's annoying as sh*t when people are waiting to get in your car)
  • I get Tesla wanted to save money with the keycard but having a key fob is... ..it just..just feels right.
  • You'll have best of both worlds, the phone app stuff has the same functionality, pre cool, unlock, valet mode, etc ....

I think one important feature for me is that the key fob has a shorter range. For example, if you are in a restaurant and you happen to park right outside of it, the phone may still be connected and someone can get into the car... But with the key fob's shorter range (< 3 feet?), you have to be literally next to the car before it can open.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
I think one important feature for me is that the key fob has a shorter range. For example, if you are in a restaurant and you happen to park right outside of it, the phone may still be connected and someone can get into the car... But with the key fob's shorter range (< 3 feet?), you have to be literally next to the car before it can open.

How far is the button range then?

No. The phone BT range is not the same range as being able to actually get into the car. Your phone has to be really close (within a few feet) to open a door.

Sold out!?
It seems to go in/out of stock every few hours/days.
I believe the sequence is:
1. list item
2. orders come in
3. mark as sold out
4. requests for notification come in
5. emails go out
6. mark as available
7. return to step 2

Step 5 is apparently very effective.

Speaking for myself, the delta between 4 and 5 for me was less than 5 minutes. I happened to notice quickly, so I beat step 7.

TLDR: Step 4 is a good idea to do.

I believe the sequence is:
1. list item
2. orders come in
3. mark as sold out
4. requests for notification come in
5. emails go out
6. mark as available
7. return to step 2

Step 5 is apparently very effective.

Speaking for myself, the delta between 4 and 5 for me was less than 5 minutes. I happened to notice quickly, so I beat step 7.

TLDR: Step 4 is a good idea to do.

I did that but missed the email the first time it was only back in stock for an hour or so. Then I re-requested notification but never got another email eventually I found it was in stock by refreshing periodically.

Ordered mine on the 8th (said "in stock"), nothing but the sound of crickets ever since. So... I don't think the in/out of stock thing really means much.
YMMV
  1. 10/15 10:33PM PT Back in stock e-mail
  2. 10/15 11:02PM PT Order confirmed e-mail
  3. 10/16 08:43AM PT Order shipped e-mail with FedEx tracking number
    • Scheduled delivery: Friday 10/18/2019 by end of day