Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Lack of Grip on Curves/Changing Lanes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've had the Model 3 Long Range for about a year and a half now, and for a while, I've been noticing almost no grip whenever I am on any curve or changing lanes on the freeway. At higher speeds (anything above 70-80 mph), the car is drifting left and right/feels incredibly wobbly. I noticed this problem started around 8 months ago, but because of COVID, I hadn't been able to really start driving it again and testing until recently. When I took this to a Service Center, they told me nothing was wrong with the suspension, but I don't think the mechanic had enough time to test and really feel the problem even after I explained it to him.

I have the 18" Michelin Pilot Sport All Seasons, which we replaced about 4 months ago, and 21k miles on the car.

Should I try to book another appointment with a service center and explain the problem again? Or is there somewhere else I should go to see if they can fix the issue? I no longer feel comfortable driving the car, and I have to constantly fight it to drive well, but I'm no longer sure if this is an issue with my current driving abilities or an actual issue with the car. Any thoughts on this?

Sounds like something is up with your tires. Or perhaps it's an alignment problem. Definitely a service problem, make a new appointment.

I'm not clear by what you mean by "an issue with my current driving abilities" - is there something here that might be a factor?

Should I try to book another appointment with a service center and explain the problem again? Or is there somewhere else I should go to see if they can fix the issue? I no longer feel comfortable driving the car, and I have to constantly fight it to drive well, but I'm no longer sure if this is an issue with my current driving abilities or an actual issue with the car. Any thoughts on this?

Simple, ask (and might have to pay) for a 4 wheel alignment, and get the specs sheet printed out
Ensure all 4 tires are inflated properly
Make sure there's no oily substances in or around your parking area that you might be driving over
Don't use armor all on your tires (not that you are, right??)

Go rent/drive another car and see if u feel the same issue. You can test drive another Tesla for free and that should give you a good idea if it's your car or if it's in your head

Reactions: stopcrazypp
So I've had the Model 3 Long Range for about a year and a half now, and for a while, I've been noticing almost no grip whenever I am on any curve or changing lanes on the freeway. At higher speeds (anything above 70-80 mph), the car is drifting left and right/feels incredibly wobbly. I noticed this problem started around 8 months ago, but because of COVID, I hadn't been able to really start driving it again and testing until recently. When I took this to a Service Center, they told me nothing was wrong with the suspension, but I don't think the mechanic had enough time to test and really feel the problem even after I explained it to him.

I have the 18" Michelin Pilot Sport All Seasons, which we replaced about 4 months ago, and 21k miles on the car.

Definitely check wheel balance on right, for the wobble and alignment.

Simple, ask (and might have to pay) for a 4 wheel alignment, and get the specs sheet printed out
Ensure all 4 tires are inflated properly
Make sure there's no oily substances in or around your parking area that you might be driving over
Don't use armor all on your tires (not that you are, right??)

Go rent/drive another car and see if u feel the same issue. You can test drive another Tesla for free and that should give you a good idea if it's your car or if it's in your head
Said everything I would say. Only would add maybe check for tire balance also (although a tire balance issue should show up in straight line also). Also the brakes might contribute too (esp. if traction control is running).

The test drive suggestion is a very good one. Makes it so that it can be eliminated as a problem with OP's specific car or if it's just unfamiliarity with the driving feel.

So I've had the Model 3 Long Range for about a year and a half now, and for a while, I've been noticing almost no grip whenever I am on any curve or changing lanes on the freeway.

Obviously something is clearly not right here! Check tyre pressures and sidewalls for damage and any signs of tread de-lamination. Also worth checking tread depth across all 4 tyres to see if they are wearing evenly. If the tyres all look good then I would go back to the SC again. It should be the easiest car in the world to drive!

I found the toe way out of wack on $25 alignment check (NOT with Tesla--they wanted $275 even if proved to be within spec) and had some related instability that was fixed when I replaced stock pieces with Mountain Pass and then had 4 wheel alignment. And by the way, I had no significant "hits" on the suspension; I think came that way from the factory. In all my years of driving, never knocked a car out of alignment (I'm 68). I still love this car tho!

So I've had the Model 3 Long Range for about a year and a half now, and for a while, I've been noticing almost no grip whenever I am on any curve or changing lanes on the freeway. At higher speeds (anything above 70-80 mph), the car is drifting left and right/feels incredibly wobbly. I noticed this problem started around 8 months ago, but because of COVID, I hadn't been able to really start driving it again and testing until recently.

The bold part is the most germane in the post. I suggest user drive the car more, under different conditions, and try to better understand and articulate the perceived behavior.

I can relate that for a period of time I felt something similar.
Scenario: Winter tires, correct pressures, correct load in car, car alignment and tracking was correct, road temp was standard winter, wind medium.
Behavior: When driving at highway speeds (not extreme) car felt extreme susceptible to yaw. Like it easily rotated without any obvious external force or input. And the highly tightly-geared steering ratio means it felt twitchy to correct the cars angle as well.

The effects were similar to bump-steer phenomenon (except car was going straight down the road and there were no bumps).

Anyway, after a short period never experienced it again. Just a weird short moment where rear end of car felt sketchy

Have a shop check your tire wear and your alignment. Also the stock tires are sh*t and offer no grip.

Thanks for the all the responses guys.

When I meant current driving ability, I mean to say that there's a chance I am out of practice (I racked up 15k miles in 6 months prior to COVID, so I felt I had a very good control of the car), so that might be me convincing myself there's something wrong the car. I don't get this feeling driving any other car though, so I'm not sure.

I really like the suggestion of test driving a car, I think that's something I will try, and then I'll return to the SC and ask for an alignment.

Thanks again for the help.