TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 lease in Canada imminent?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Hytlee7, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Hytlee7

Hytlee7 Member

Does anyone know if the Model 3 will be available to lease in Canada this month?

2. Paul8810

Paul8810 Member

The Canadian lease interest rate is 6.85% currently on model X / S. Perhaps in the near future they will bring to the model 3, but unless you can write off the lease best to finance at half that rate. Seems they may be discouraging leasing.

3. khaltire

khaltire Member

I really think it doesn't make sense to lease if you really believe in tesla long term. They have said they want the cars back after leases (ie. No buy out). The way I see it, I'll be able to send my car out to earn me money with the robotaxi network down the road and make back any money I put into the car to own it with financing

4. pcons

pcons M3 AWD+

That would be great, but let's be serious. Robotaxis are very unlikely to be allowed in Canada in the next 5-10 years even if the tech catches up. We can't even use summon unless we are 3 feet from the car, so making the leap to cars driving around picking people up with nobody in them is a bit of a stretch.

Even if tesla gets all that stuff working, having the tech and being allowed to use it on public roads are 2 separate things.

• Like x 2
  5. Goodtohave

Goodtohave Member

I leased mine, a friend owns a leasing company and did a 4yr for my SR plus here in Montreal

I may do a lease transfer and get a dual motor...

A lot of people don’t want to commit to a long finance, personally I wouldn’t want to finance anything longer then the warranty period.

6. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Tezler Guru

How does that process work? What are your payments and terms like?

7. Blazing Whisper

I would also love to know the status on Model 3 leases. I don't like committing to a car beyond 4-5 years. But yikes, 6.85% interest rate is absurd. If it's actually that high then that's terrible.

8. Goodtohave

Goodtohave Member

Unfortunately the car has to stay registered in quebec for 4 yrs if not the 8k rebate has to be paid back

9. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Tezler Guru

I more meant along the lines of how do you lease a car from a 3rd party leasing company

10. Goodtohave

Goodtohave Member

A friend owns the company and did it for me :)