Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Left Rear Control Arm failed inspection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2018 Model 3 failed inspection for a worn left rear control arm in NH. Tesla has canceled my appointment 2X since June and have pushed me out into late August because they can't seem to get the replacement part. I am wondering if this is a problem others are seeing (not the horrendous service, and lack of communication or spare part mystery) but surprised with about 70K miles that this can wear out enough to fail a state safety inspection. Meanwhile, hoping I don't get a ticket, and I don't lose control of the car.....

My 2018 Model 3 failed inspection for a worn left rear control arm in NH. Tesla has canceled my appointment 2X since June and have pushed me out into late August because they can't seem to get the replacement part. I am wondering if this is a problem others are seeing (not the horrendous service, and lack of communication or spare part mystery) but surprised with about 70K miles that this can wear out enough to fail a state safety inspection. Meanwhile, hoping I don't get a ticket, and I don't lose control of the car.....
Did they tell you which part specifically needs replacing? We might have some spares around here, or potentially an MPP replacement if needed. As for bushings wearing out in 70K miles, that is not unusual at all for these cars.

Upvote 0
Did they tell you which part specifically needs replacing? We might have some spares around here, or potentially an MPP replacement if needed. As for bushings wearing out in 70K miles, that is not unusual at all for these cars.
Both my mechanic and Tesla say yes it needs replaced. I would love to buy the part and have someone other then the service center work on this, but my mechanic will not touch it because Tesla refuses to provide and technical information to outside mechanics, or sell them parts. Frustrating

Upvote 0
Both my mechanic and Tesla say yes it needs replaced. I would love to buy the part and have someone other then the service center work on this, but my mechanic will not touch it because Tesla refuses to provide and technical information to outside mechanics, or sell them parts. Frustrating
I won’t fault your mechanic for not wanting to deal with Tesla’s customer service, but that part (I believe) is over the counter. They just won’t deliver it like most dealers.

The service manual is currently free so both the remove and replace procedure and torque specs are publicly available.

Upvote 0
Is this on the front or rear wheel?

Upvote 0
Sorry to jump on this thread but do you do replacements (that won't fail as quickly!) I need both sides doing on mine but I'm in UK. Many thanks.

Attachments

• 3C447D3B-5F44-493D-8908-9793D707FCD4.jpeg
    3C447D3B-5F44-493D-8908-9793D707FCD4.jpeg
    213.5 KB · Views: 236
  • 2929AEBB-633E-415B-9245-ADB64158F8EE.jpeg
    2929AEBB-633E-415B-9245-ADB64158F8EE.jpeg
    177.8 KB · Views: 155
  • 23E92981-6092-4383-AAB0-80B2D5AE1080.jpeg
    23E92981-6092-4383-AAB0-80B2D5AE1080.jpeg
    212.8 KB · Views: 163
Upvote 0
Sorry to jump on this thread but do you do replacements (that won't fail as quickly!) I need both sides doing on mine but I'm in UK. Many thanks.
That is the rear traction arm, and the bushing coming out of it is becoming a common issue. We do offer replacements that are lighter, stronger and have sealed bearings instead of rubber bushings.

Cyber Rear Traction Arms for Tesla Model 3/Y | MPP

Upvote 0
That is the rear traction arm, and the bushing coming out of it is becoming a common issue. We do offer replacements that are lighter, stronger and have sealed bearings instead of rubber bushings.

Cyber Rear Traction Arms for Tesla Model 3/Y | MPP
Thanks, can you just replace the arms or do they need to be changed in connection with other items you offer? Also what is delivery cost/time to UK or do you have a distributor locally? Thanks

Upvote 0
Thanks, can you just replace the arms or do they need to be changed in connection with other items you offer? Also what is delivery cost/time to UK or do you have a distributor locally? Thanks
You can just replace the arms, no other parts are required! Shipping time is no more than 1 week, and shipping costs will be calculated on our site when you enter your address. Let us know if you have any other questions!

Upvote 0
You can just replace the arms, no other parts are required! Shipping time is no more than 1 week, and shipping costs will be calculated on our site when you enter your address. Let us know if you have any other questions!
Oh I knew I'd have another question! Reading a review it says you provide shorter bolts, does that mean you can cut the old bolts off and replace without the need to drop the subframe?

Upvote 0
Oh I knew I'd have another question! Reading a review it says you provide shorter bolts, does that mean you can cut the old bolts off and replace without the need to drop the subframe
Haha, yes, you can loosen the bolt out as far as you can then cut the head off and unthread the rest. The new bolts are short enough that they can be installed without lowering the subframe. The stock bolts really suck though!

Reactions: m3gt2
Upvote 0
As previously mentioned, the service manuals are public now so I'm not sure why your mechanic wouldn't do the work. That being said, it looks like you have your location listed as New Hampshire so Electrified Garage could be an option for you: Electrified Garage Tesla Service Center.

Reactions: toolman335
Upvote 0
Haha, yes, you can loosen the bolt out as far as you can then cut the head off and unthread the rest. The new bolts are short enough that they can be installed without lowering the subframe. The stock bolts really suck though!
Just like to say a huge thank you for your help. I have ordered them through your UK distributor to avoid messing with duty etc and will let you know once they are fitted :)

Upvote 0