Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LFP in cold Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are there any Model 3 in Canada running with the new LFP batteries yet?

I'm just wondering how the cold is or is going to effect them here in our fun +10° C to -15°C same day weather along with snow & rain at the same time.
Is the range that badly reduced? EPA says 438 KMs per 100% change, video's on Youtube from Norway say they are getting maybe 230 kms at -7° C to -10°C

What can I expect from winter driving? Summer I've seen videos claiming well over 330 kms so not really an issue.
But I do drive Montreal to Gatineau quite often (209 kms one way) and also to that other big Canadian city (TO)
I think it should be ok for the 209 kms but with no running around once there....would need to charge right away. But still 47.5% drop in EPA range is a lot, no?

Are there any Model 3 in Canada running with the new LFP batteries yet?

I'm just wondering how the cold is or is going to effect them here in our fun +10° C to -15°C same day weather along with snow & rain at the same time.
Is the range that badly reduced? EPA says 438 KMs per 100% change, video's on Youtube from Norway say they are getting maybe 230 kms at -7° C to -10°C

What can I expect from winter driving? Summer I've seen videos claiming well over 330 kms so not really an issue.
But I do drive Montreal to Gatineau quite often (209 kms one way) and also to that other big Canadian city (TO)
I think it should be ok for the 209 kms but with no running around once there....would need to charge right away. But still 47.5% drop in EPA range is a lot, no?

Plan on a 50% reduction in rated range. If you do a little better and only take a 40% hit, you’re doing pretty well. Keep your speed in check for best results.

The range hit isn’t unique to the LFP battery. Once it has warmed up, it should perform just fine. The hit comes mostly from climate control and increased drag from cold, dense air as well as increased drag from winter conditions like snow.

• Informative
Reactions: damonbrodie