Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 locking nuts - Halfords

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla don't fit them as standard, alloy wheel theft has decreased significantly in recent times.

Also the weight of the car and high torque setting of the nuts make it very difficult to steal the wheels.

Lastly, if someone wants your wheels that badly, a locking wheel nut from Halfords isn't going to stop a socket and sledge hammer.

Tesla don't fit them as standard, alloy wheel theft has decreased significantly in recent times.

Also the weight of the car and high torque setting of the nuts make it very difficult to steal the wheels.

Lastly, if someone wants your wheels that badly, a locking wheel nut from Halfords isn't going to stop a socket and sledge hammer.
Might slow them down long enough for me to throw something at them........

• Funny
Reactions: btc1k
I don't understand the high torque business, it's 175nm each bolt.
I've taken them off at least 10 times with a breaker bar no problems.... (using a torque wrench when tightening them up again)

I'm by no means a big lad, 5'6 skinny! 😅

Wheel locking nut may stop the average thief who doesn't know how to snap a security nut, but won't stop a professional with the right tools.

I suspect those who are so called "professional" aren't overly daft.

They choose their target of the highest value yet lowest risk to them, they won't just jack up, they'll know exactly who to go for.

Hence, the only protection from "professionals" is to look the least attractive compared to someone else.

However, there is always the overly daft as well in life.

The high level professional/organised thieves are busy using relay attacks to steal Land Rovers and Jaguars. The lower lever are stealing catalytic converters to order from hybrids. Not sure anyone really steals wheels these days - alloy or otherwise - but if they do they're probably in both the daft and the opportunist categories...

EDIT: Besides, no one would target a Model 3 for alloy wheel theft because they'd expect that they'd all be curbed anyway 🙂

Last edited:
If you really did want them, I’d go to a Tesla. I recall something about US favouring a straight taper and Europe a curved taper or vice versa, and use the wrong type puts immense strain on the wheel.

But as others have said, I wouldn’t bother. If you also happen to have the aero covers on, they can’t see your nuts anyway to know so a locking nut won’t even offer a visual deterrent if someone walked by checking your car out.

If someone has locking wheel nuts their probability of theft is slightly lower than someone who doesn't. That may only be slightly, but statistically true none the less

Whether that slightly lower probability is worth it in your eyes, is entirely up to the individual.

I totally understand why someone would decide it's not worth it. But equally I totally understand why someone may think it is, in one case it could make all the difference.

Everything one can do to make their car less attractive compared to the one next to it, is going to lower the chances. It's an individual balancing act to decide where to stop.

The different opinions is simply where different people draw the line.

I would never assume the criminal is simply daft, that's a personal bias or stereotype. They represent a cross section of the community unfortunately.

It's a shame the vehicle doesn't come standard with them. Thatcham's security rating of the M3 isn't great and this is one of the reasons as it is deemed essential for vehicles with alloy wheel within the UK insurance industry.

Aero covers, they then can't tell if you have locking nuts without revealing their intentions to remove one, also the wheels aren't exactly sort after. Not worth the risk unless they were really determined, in which case the locking nut wouldn't stop them.

I'd have thought the performance /induction wheels would be sought after with the added premium. Can't imagine a thief wanting to steal bog standard aero alloys though.

If someone wants them, they'll take them, locking nuts or not. I'll be adding some on my inductions when they arrive anyway - might deter the inexperienced/opportunist thieves at least.

No one is going to take a plastic hub cap.
Possibly but equally they are not likely to put it back on either if they had removed it to check for locking nuts.

So how much is a TESLA plastic hub cap, I feel ancient calling it a 'hub cap' when in reality it is a wheel trim.

Haven't seen hub caps fitted to cars since my Pops 1984 Austin Montego.