TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 Long Range AWD Broke Down After 250 Miles

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Nickvo, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Nickvo

Nickvo Member

So, I took delivery of my model 3 AWD on Friday. Delivery went smooth, my car didn’t come with the phone charging cables but these would be shipped to my home. I drove my car around that day and showed it to my family and friends. The car was exceptional, But each time I parked the car for a couple of minutes I noticed some moisture under the car. I thought, it’s a hot day today (30C/86F) that must be condensation from the air conditioning. I couldn’t be more wrong. After charging the car overnight I noticed the cooling system working overtime. I thought nothing of it, this car is my first EV and this was my first time charging it. I had some errands to run so I got on with my day. Drove about 20 miles before the problems started. I got an error saying my SOS call system (required by law in new EU cars). Another 5 miles later I lost cruise control, and one of the motors stopped working so the cars top speed was limited to 105km/h (65mph). I pulled over to see moisture dripping from below my car. I decided to call Tesla service, a very nice man helped my book a service appointment for the following week and told me I could still use my car in the meanwhile. While I was still on the phone with Tesla service I lost power steering. I pulled over and Tesla service send out a tow truck. The tow truck driver told me my car was leaking coolant.

So my 1 day old car broke down with only 250 miles on the odometer.

Tesla service will call me tomorrow to inform me about what is wrong with my car etc. I will keep you posted.

I’m wondering if anybody has had the same problem?
    What can I expect from Tesla service?
    Or in terms of compensation?

Midnight silver metallic model 3 long range dual motor 19” black interior vin: 368***

2. OCR1

OCR1 Active Member

My friend’s SR had the same problem. Within the first week it was leaking coolant. He took it into the service center and they fixed the leak and everything has been working fine since then.

3. WilliamG

WilliamG Active Member

It happens. I wouldn't expect any compensation except possibly a free rental while they fix it. It's an easy fix.

4. Bill Foster

Bill Foster I'm going home!

Lol, Compensation. It will be fixed and you’ll be back on the road.

Quit looking for a handout

• Like x 7
    • Disagree x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  5. garth_angst

garth_angst Member

Leaking coolant? The only thing I can see to add is window washer fluid. How would one know when coolant in a problem?

6. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

Tesla used to give compensation for unfortunate things like this in the past (t shirts, supercharger credits, Wall charger, etc). I would not be pleased either.

• Like x 1
  7. CarlK

CarlK Active Member

Welcome and let us know what the service center found out.

8. VT_EE

VT_EE Active Member

Coolant is not something you should ever be checking. If it’s leaking, there is a problem and a service center visit is required. I have heard there is a error message alerting you to the coolant problem. Not sure of the OP saw this. I have seen only a couple instances of coolant leaks on this forum so I think it’s pretty rare.

• Like x 2
  9. CarlK

CarlK Active Member

No that does not happen often. My best guess here is damage during transportation which is a pretty common issue for any cars. Tesla will fix it whatever it is.

10. OCR1

OCR1 Active Member

Yes, the low coolant warning comes on letting you know it requires service. And you can see it leaking all over the floor in the garage.

11. T-Will

T-Will Member

Sorry about this. I think this is the first instance I've heard where in a Model 3 one motor went out, while the other allowed it to continue to drive.

12. Wizard2416

Wizard2416 Member

Murphy's Law...

• Like x 1
  13. Bill Foster

Bill Foster I'm going home!

Just amazes me that people would consider asking for a handout right away. If it was a 100k car costing you 2k a month to keep on the road and it was down for a month, sure. But it’s not, it’s a 50k car.

Give them a chance to fix it, I’m sure it will be done soon and back on the road

• Like x 1
  14. Rothgarr

Rothgarr Member

Nothing as serious as the OP, but my Tesla also has a problem on the very first day of delivery (I picked it up on Sunday)

It charges, but when you insert the charger it clicks repeatedly for about 5-6 seconds, never get a green light. On my dashboard it says the Charge port latch is not engaged. Of course I didn't check the charging until I got home from the dealer, so on the day of my delivery I had to make my first service call...

15. Gondi63

Gondi63 Member

If you got these for free, there's your compensation. Cables are no longer included with purchase.

• Funny x 1
  16. ngogas

ngogas Active Member

Did they fix it yet?

17. Nickvo

Nickvo Member

So someone from the service center got in touch with me today. It turns out it’s a faulty super bottle(coolant reservoir) they told my they had never seen such a bad leak on a new car. New part was ordered and should be in by the end of the week. They even gave me a model s P90D loaner (which is all the compensation I was looking for). On top of that I got some supercharging credit.

• Like x 12
  18. Nickvo

Nickvo Member

The
    service rep told me the cables where only included with long range and performance models.

19. WilliamG

WilliamG Active Member

They're wrong about that. my P3D+ did not come with them. As far as I'm aware they don't come with any new Model 3 anymore as of around 6-8 weeks ago. Some people have had luck asking for them, though.

• Like x 1
  20. Nickvo

Nickvo Member

So where I’m at it is actually a nearly €70k/$80k car. I’m not looking for cash or anything. Just a loaner or something.
    It’s frustrating to buy a brand new car and have it break down almost immediately.

• Like x 2