Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Long Range: Culver City Los Angeles to Phoenix with one stop at a supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Background PHX to LA commute for work
I recently picked up a 2023 Corolla Hybrid SE that gets 55mpg for my weekly commute from NW Phoenix to Culver City Los Angeles which is 388 miles each way. To reduce driving fatigue I've been considering a 2023 Model 3 Long Range since I can utilize the included Autopilot. With this being a main artery between two massive cities there are plenty of Supercharging locations to stop at along the way if I were to buy a Tesla. The 2023 Model 3 Long Range which is rated at 358 miles with the 18's should be the best option for the price since the Model S only has 40 miles more of range but is 2x the price. I'll also be putting on 25-30k miles per year so battery degradation is a concern if I put on 90-120k miles over 3-4 years.

QUESTION: Have any of you done the drive from LA to Phoenix with a Model 3 Long Range, charged to 100% before departing and only stopped once on the way to Phoenix? I really hate to stop twice since it really adds to the drive time of the trip and it's somewhat annoying compared to an ICE car where I can do the entire 5.5 hour drive without stopping (600 mile range). If I use ABRP and charge to 100% in LA, I can make it to Quartzite for one 18 minute charge, then make it home with 20% to spare.

NW Phoenix to Culver City Los Angeles to NW Phoenix
1671568707334.png

NW Phoenix to Culver City Los Angeles
1671568811098.png

...18 minute charge...

I haven’t done that route but I've been driving 220 miles each way between Central Valley and Orange County quite often without stopping in between fine. Starting with 310 miles on the battery gauge when it was new in 2018 and now 283 maximum after 4 years and arriving at the destination with 20% or 55 miles left.

If you drive conservatively, it's reasonable to speculate that you only need to stop for 1 charge in between your 400-mile trip (rounded up).

However, I would not bet that the charging stop would take only 18 minutes. Plan to wait more in real life.

Last edited:
Reactions: kotykb
I think if I had the stated goals as the OP ("I really dont want to stop more than once, I can do 5.5 hours consecutively in my ICE car without stopping"), I would keep the stated 55MPG hybrid car. Since you were in other threads about buying a used model X, I am going to assume you already know about rated / EPA mileage vs actual mileage.

I dont think the model 3 matches up with what you want to do, especially after you drive 25/30k miles a year as you mention you will be doing. Your current 55MPG hybrid sounds great for that, you already own it, and it matches your desire to not stop per your statement.

• Love
Reactions: Regaj and kotykb
...600 mile range...
For long-distance drivers, I would recommend looking at Lucid, which has been delivering since last year.

516 miles, Lucid Air Grand Touring.

If you want it now, it would cost you dearly: $154,000 with all the options from the massage to sound, DreamDrive Pro and 21" wheels.

If you can wait for a few weeks, you can pay less with less options starting at $138,000.

If you can wait a few months, you can pay less with the smaller Air Pure, starting at $87,400 with a lesser range of 410 miles.

Initially, there were lots of complaints about the plug-and-play free Electrify stations that were not free until a call to straighten that out.

From my experience, it's been trouble-free and really free (3 years for top model, then 2, then 1 for Air Pure).

Of course, you can use other brands for charging but they are not free.

...included Autopilot...
Lucid has the Adaptive Cruise called DreamDrive with no extra charge:

It also strives to get FSD-equivalent called "DreamDrive" if you pay an extra $10,000. Since its announcement in March this year, it can only do one more function beyond the above:

2) AutoSteer with a highway lane: only works in a covered area but not in the city streets (unlike Tesla, which works both on highways and city streets).

What I like about the Lucid ADAS is: It works in thick fog.

On the way home at night last Saturday, my relative was driving back in the 2017 Tesla Model X, and its FSD/Autopilot quit working in the thick fog, complaining of poor visibility while I was driving simultaneously on the Lucid back from the delivery, and it was working flawlessly without skipping a beat.

Last edited:
I think if I had the stated goals as the OP ("I really dont want to stop more than once, I can do 5.5 hours consecutively in my ICE car without stopping"), I would keep the stated 55MPG hybrid car. Since you were in other threads about buying a used model X, I am going to assume you already know about rated / EPA mileage vs actual mileage.

I dont think the model 3 matches up with what you want to do, especially after you drive 25/30k miles a year as you mention you will be doing. Your current 55MPG hybrid sounds great for that, you already own it, and it matches your desire to not stop per your statement.
I ended up buying a Tesla back in May for my wife to daily: 2021 Model Y Performance with FSD, 6k miles, full Xpel stealth, and tint for $71k. Since its her daily driver, I haven't tried to drive to CA and back as she won't drive my truck nor our grinch mobile to work. Also being in Arizona you don't pay sales tax on a private party purchases so it was a win for me at the time. Then I just picked up a 2023 Corolla SE Hybrid for only $27k, they retain their value extremely well and while putting on up to 30k miles a year, I bet it only depreciates a few grand considering they're nearly impossible to find, most dealers in CA/AZ are still getting 5-10k ADM.

Screenshot 2022-12-20 at 7.05.41 PM.png

Screenshot 2022-12-20 at 7.04.47 PM.png

For long-distance drivers, I would recommend looking at Lucid, which has been delivering since last year.

516 miles, Lucid Air Grand Touring.

If you want it now, it would cost you dearly: $154,000 with all the options from the massage to sound, DreamDrive Pro and 21" wheels.

If you can wait for a few weeks, you can pay less with less options starting at $138,000.

If you can wait a few months, you can pay less with the smaller Air Pure, starting at $87,400 with a lesser range of 410 miles.

Initially, there were lots of complaints about the plug-and-play free Electrify stations that were not free until a call to straighten that out.

From my experience, it's been trouble-free and really free (3 years for top model, then 2, then 1 for Air Pure).

Of course, you can use other brands for charging but they are not free.

Lucid has the Adaptive Cruise called DreamDrive with no extra charge:

It also strives to get FSD-equivalent called "DreamDrive" if you pay an extra $10,000. Since its announcement in March this year, it can only do one more function beyond the above:

2) AutoSteer with a highway lane: only works in a covered area but not in the city streets (unlike Tesla, which works both on highways and city streets).

What I like about the Lucid ADAS is: It works in thick fog.

On the way home at night, my relative was driving back in the 2017 Tesla Model X, and its FSD/Autopilot quit working in the thick fog, complaining of poor visibility while I was driving simultaneously on the Lucid back from the delivery, and it was working flawlessly without skipping a beat.
I'd consider a Lucid but don't trust using the third party charge network and with putting 30k miles a year on the car, there is no way I'm spending $150-200k on a car that'll depreciate heavily. I'm even too cheap to consider a $85k 2021.5 Model S Long Range. When I buy new vehicles, I try to buy ones that'll retain their value pretty well over the medium term, such as my Raptor 37 and Huracan Spyder
Screenshot 2022-12-20 at 7.10.03 PM.png

Reactions: XPsionic
I'm even too cheap to consider a $85k 2021.5 Model S Long Range. When I buy new vehicles, I try to buy ones that'll retain their value pretty well over the medium term, such as my Raptor 37 and Huracan Spyder
View attachment 887307
I don't think I've ever heard anyone who calls themselves cheap have vehicles like those 2 vehicles in their garage. Lol

I don't think I've ever heard anyone who calls themselves cheap have vehicles like those 2 vehicles in their garage. Lol
*Frugal. If I put 30k miles on a car per year, the Model 3 Long Range is the max I'd spend on one as it'll depreciate like crazy once we're back in a normal car market. The Raptors hold their value really well and I got it below MSRP and the new Huracans do pretty well, which I also spec'd it below MSRP.

Reactions: XPsionic
...The Raptors hold their value really well...
I prefer to buy a car according to its function, not how well it retains value.

1) I do not like petroleum, its smoke or smell so EV is a must for me.
2) Range: ICE is best for range but because I don't like ICE, I am willing to pay a premium for an EV
3) Safe ADAS: Tesla has many features but not reliable and can't work in fog and that's why I am jumping ship to Lucid which works in the fog. Since I am far from a major metropolitan like 200 miles from San Francisco in the north and 200 miles from Los Angeles in the South, so a safe ADAS for my long-distance drive is a must for me.

A 405-mile Tesla Model S is $104,990.

But if you can wait for Lucid Air with 410 miles, it starts from $87,400 (pricier models and trims got filled first).

Tesla plans to open up its Superchargers to CCS so CCS-compatible will be the most popular DC Fast chargers.

I recently picked up a 2023 Corolla Hybrid SE that gets 55mpg for my weekly commute from NW Phoenix to Culver City Los Angeles which is 388 miles each way. To reduce driving fatigue I've been considering a 2023 Model 3 Long Range since I can utilize the included Autopilot. With this being a main artery between two massive cities there are plenty of Supercharging locations to stop at along the way if I were to buy a Tesla. The 2023 Model 3 Long Range which is rated at 358 miles with the 18's should be the best option for the price since the Model S only has 40 miles more of range but is 2x the price. I'll also be putting on 25-30k miles per year so battery degradation is a concern if I put on 90-120k miles over 3-4 years.

QUESTION: Have any of you done the drive from LA to Phoenix with a Model 3 Long Range, charged to 100% before departing and only stopped once on the way to Phoenix? I really hate to stop twice since it really adds to the drive time of the trip and it's somewhat annoying compared to an ICE car where I can do the entire 5.5 hour drive without stopping (600 mile range). If I use ABRP and charge to 100% in LA, I can make it to Quartzite for one 18 minute charge, then make it home with 20% to spare.

NW Phoenix to Culver City Los Angeles to NW Phoenix
View attachment 887224

NW Phoenix to Culver City Los Angeles
View attachment 887225
We just finished a 2050 mile drive from BC/Ferndale WA to SE Arizona in a 2022 M3 RWD. On our first leg of the trip we covered ~600 miles and stopped 3 times for charging at about 30min/stop. ABRP recommended five ~10 minute stops. The thing is that our previous car was a 2020 Prius Prime and we finished the same drive in just about the same amount of time on the road as in the P. Prime. If you make sure that all your stops, including restroom stops, coincide with a charging stop, then no time is wasted. Generally speaking, it's better to drive as fast as traffic will allow (typically ~84 mph on I10), and make several ~10 minute charging stops arriving at ~10% SOC per stop, to make the best possible time, but we found that 10min/stop was too short in most cases for our longer daily drives but would work for you. Remember also that there are CCS1 (non Tesla DC Fast Chargers) to Tesla adapters available which can increase your choice of charging stops. I think you might find that the M3 RWD and it's LFP battery might be a better choice.

A hypothetical plan using a 2022 M3 RWD. Speed is set at 110%, minimum arrival SOC at SC = 8%:
You don't have the same start/end points as the OP specified. With the same start/end point, even if you choose arrival SOC at 2%, it's 6.5 hours with a 2022 RWD, a whole hour more than driving his Corolla.

If I were OP and I don't wanna stop at all for a 5.5 hour drive, I'd just drive a gas hybrid.

But I'm not OP, and for a drive like that, I'd definitely want at least 1 stop, so EV's fine for me.

Attachments

• ABRP.png
    ABRP.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 118
Reactions: kotykb and DuncanM
You don't have the same start/end points as the OP specified. With the same start/end point, even if you choose arrival SOC at 2%, it's 6.5 hours with a 2022 RWD, a whole hour more than driving his Corolla.

If I were OP and I don't wanna stop at all for a 5.5 hour drive, I'd just drive a gas hybrid.

But I'm not OP, and for a drive like that, I'd definitely want at least 1 stop, so EV's fine for me.
I redid the route with the correct start and stop locations and I get 6hr 14min and 389 miles. settings: 110% SL, 2% battery degradation and 250lb extra weight.

Attachments

• culver_ph.jpg
    culver_ph.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 165
QUESTION: If I use ABRP and charge to 100% in LA, I can make it to Quartzite for one 18 minute charge, then make it home with 20% to spare.

You would need to account for both the coldest weather you have and degradation at the same time.

I did not vächeck the route but I guess there is a possibility to use a supercharger earlier on the trip (to compensate for degradation and cold WX).

I guess you should plan with about 15% degradation after 3-4 years.

In ABRP you can put in the lowest temp and maybe snow or wet roads to see the consumption/range.

I recently drove from Tempe to West LA. Started at around 80% and made a charging stop at Quartzsite. I also stopped in Redlands for a second charge for about 5 minutes, and made it to West LA with 17% remaining. Without the Redlands stop I would’ve barely not made it. If I had started with closer to 100% in Tempe I would’ve made the trip with only one stop.
This was on my Model Y LR. OP could definitely make the trip on a M3LR with only one charging stop if they started with a full charge.

• Informative
Reactions: DuncanM