Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 looks a bit too similar to our MS? any worried?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
does this make our MS less prestigious and valuable? i see Model 3's becoming ubiquitious when it gets released. from the photos i have seen, it looks remarkably similar to the MS and that bothers me for some reason hahaha...

any thoughts?

No photo of the Model 3 has been leaked or released yet. So nothing to be worried about. I doubt it'll just be a shrinked version of the Model S though. Elon is smarter than that. Even the materials (stell intead of aliminum) and the entire tech used in it will be different.

does this make our MS less prestigious and valuable? i see Model 3's becoming ubiquitious when it gets released. from the photos i have seen, it looks remarkably similar to the MS and that bothers me for some reason hahaha...

any thoughts?

Coming from the BMW world prior to Tesla ownership, there are stylistic similarities amongst the cars (Kidney bean, etc.) I don't think it takes anything away from 7-5-3-1,etc.

Additionally many of these Model 3 "concepts" are from folks outside of Tesla, so I take their designs with a grain of salt.

Many of the supposed model 3 pix circulating online are just model S photos modified to make the car appear smaller (even in some cases turning it into a 2 door.) Like others have said, we should wait a few months to see what it really looks like. Doesn't model S have like .26cD and model 3 is purported to be .2cD do I expect something even sleeker. More a product of what the wind tunnel wants to see so they can get similar range with a smaller pack.

There are two things going around about that Model 3 that are not at all correct.

1.) The Photos of it. Nothing official has been released as far as I know.

2.) The price being $35K. Sure this might be some magical price that the base model AFTER rebates (if they're still around) will be. But, it won't be anywhere near the cost people actually pay.

Didn't Elon say that they planned to go quite edgy on the styling of the Model 3? Said they'd been conservative with the S & X and 3 would be very different.

Q4 2014 earning call he said that it was actually going to be the exact opposite. He realized they were too ambitious with the S/X and were going to stay conservative with the design so they wouldnt miss dead lines or have unforeseen problems like with the previous 2 cars. Styling wise there was rumor he was tasking his engineers to get the aerodynamic cd to under .2

This is an interesting topic though... He did an AMA on reddit where, when asked about some info on the 3, he said "it wont look like other cars" (literally nothing else, that was the only sentence typed about it).

Who knows really... I suspect there will be less "moving parts" in the 3 in order to reduce complexity and cost of warranty repair for Tesla. Things like flush, but not motorized, door handles some how.

Q4 2014 earning call he said that it was actually going to be the exact opposite. He realized they were too ambitious with the S/X and were going to stay conservative with the design so they wouldnt miss dead lines or have unforeseen problems like with the previous 2 cars. Styling wise there was rumor he was tasking his engineers to get the aerodynamic cd to under .2
Thanks for the link. I'd taken it to mean that as far as electrical, electronic, and mechanical systems that they'd be conservative and not try to invent new stuff but styling would be quite different.

image.jpeg
I would absolutely buy this and keep my S, too.

2.) The price being $35K. Sure this might be some magical price that the base model AFTER rebates (if they're still around) will be. But, it won't be anywhere near the cost people actually pay.

Elon said very recently that 35 was before any tax credit. We'll see if it pans out given how the S has consistently creeped up in price but at least at the outset I think we'll see a base model for 35k.

so sick of seeing these fake facebook posts in my wall. This is not the model 3... NOTHING has been relased.

s

jesus, chill. I never said it was. It's someone's guess of what it might look like and I think it's awesome. That is all.

To clarify, there are lots of UNOFFICIAL guesses/renderings out there. The one I posted has enough similarity yet enough difference to be appealing to me. I would buy it in a heartbeat. When I saw the first MS prototype I said the exact same thing. I pray Tesla knocks the styling out of the park again and avoids the econobox look of the Bolt, Leaf, etc.

Last edited:
I pray Tesla knocks the styling out of the park again and avoids the econobox look of the Bolt, Leaf, etc.
Of that, I am sure, and it will not look like a "shrunken" S.
I am also sure that the BASE Model 3 before rebates will be "about" $35K. Elon is on record, multiple times, with that number. What sort of plus/minus variance "about" means in this instance, I cannot say.