Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 loose piece near rear view mirror

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just noticed that the black triangular piece near my passenger side rear view mirror is loose towards the top. Is there a quick fix for this or should I get this serviced? I'm not sure if there is anything important within or behind this piece that I should be cautious of. The same piece on the driver's side is still completely intact.

Attachments

• triangle1.jpg
    triangle1.jpg
    427.4 KB · Views: 663
  • triangle2.jpg
    triangle2.jpg
    474.3 KB · Views: 308
I just noticed that the black triangular piece near my passenger side rear view mirror is loose towards the top. Is there a quick fix for this or should I get this serviced? I'm not sure if there is anything important within or behind this piece that I should be cautious of. The same piece on the driver's side is still completely intact.
This video explains the disassembly process and at around 2:30 he explains there is a clip that has to be installed going down or it would stick out (like yours is I guess).

I searched ebay for the mirror part, that shows that top clip better, which looks like a hook:
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

2017-2020 Tesla Model 3 Factory Left Door Mirror Chrome OEM 1110777-99-H | eBay

It doesn't look like it should easily pop out on its own. Only thing I would worry is if that clip on top is broken already or if you break it while trying to get it back in (wouldn't want to replace the whole mirror just for that little clip).

To properly remove the mirror requires taking out the whole door panel (in order to access the bottom 2 bolts and disconnect the wires), but you might be able to get a better view of the clip if you take out the speaker grill (5:50 in this video shows it). Although from the videos, it looks a like the rubber gasket on the inside covers up where the clip hooks (so can't really see how it hooks). Might also be able to loosen the top bolt at least to perhaps be able to have more wiggle room to get the clip back in. Again, I would be careful not to break things (from the disassembly videos it looks like the clip just hooks in from the top).

Another video that shows the process in even more detail:

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC and oreobbq
There are many threads on this 'A pillar applique' as Tesla calls it.

Early build cars, and even some recent build ones suffer from this and its not always a question of a poor factory or botched aftermarket reassembly.

The newer part number revisions supposedly help to keep these things in place. Some rubber friendly glue or silicone can help too, but is not exactly reversable. Poor design and engineering with these things and the mirror rubber trim, door frontal area trim.