Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 losing charge quickly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure. Either $125 or $129 installed as I recall. Posted around here somewhere. It's easier to do than swapping tires (imo). But certainly that price is very reasonable, as long as you don't have to leave your house! (Makes the price delta of $85/$125 effectively less because for $85 you have to leave your house and go to the service center, unless you happen to convince them to drop one off while they're doing some other service on the vehicle.)

Yeah... even though the drive from my home to the service center only costs about 3.50 or so in electricity, its close to 40 miles from my home (only about 12 miles from work though,). I am just not driving down into work from home more than 1 time every 6-9 days atm cause... 2020.

One thing I forgot to mention is that the cars have ALWAYS had that differential in the vampire drain amount, so I don't think it has to do with the V12. I just took the kids to the park and saw that the car had driven 60 miles and the remaining miles was 182 so essentially it'd cost me "90 miles" to drive the 60 miles. Something is off here.

One thing I forgot to mention is that the cars have ALWAYS had that differential in the vampire drain amount, so I don't think it has to do with the V12. I just took the kids to the park and saw that the car had driven 60 miles and the remaining miles was 182 so essentially it'd cost me "90 miles" to drive the 60 miles. Something is off here.

Ok.. wait.

The "there is more drain during sleeping" thing is absolutely 1000000000% completely separate from "I drive 60 miles and it shows 80 used". Those are not related at all. Not a single thing I said above is in ANY way related to "it cost me 90 miles to drive 60" so if thats what you are talking about, ignore everything I said.

There are all sorts of things that could cause that (for example you would have needed your wife to follow you to your location in her car, with weights in the seats to simulate your kids + carseats, at the same exact time to ensure you were experiencing the same weather conditions including wind, and or any other weather etc).

So, I am not touching that part of this discussion.

Ok.. wait.

The "there is more drain during sleeping" thing is absolutely 1000000000% completely separate from "I drive 60 miles and it shows 80 used". Those are not related at all. Not a single thing I said above is in ANY way related to "it cost me 90 miles to drive 60" so if thats what you are talking about, ignore everything I said.

There are all sorts of things that could cause that (for example you would have needed your wife to follow you to your location in her car, with weights in the seats to simulate your kids + carseats, at the same exact time to ensure you were experiencing the same weather conditions including wind, and or any other weather etc).

So, I am not touching that part of this discussion.
Man, you're really approaching this like a scientist, which I greatly appreciate! I just don't know if I can follow that, lol.

Man, you're really approaching this like a scientist, which I greatly appreciate! I just don't know if I can follow that, lol.

Not really.. I am just saying there is a complete difference in "My car doesnt sleep, so has more phantom drain" and " My car rolls off more miles than the rated range".

In simple terms in order for your car to roll off 1 mile used for 1 mile rated range, you have to hit the tesla wh/mh figure for your model... similar to driving a certain way to get EPA gas mileage in a gas car.

"My car, sitting in my garage next to my wifes car of the same model, uses a lot more range overnight than my wifes car does" is a completely 10000% different statement than "My car, when driven 60 miles, used 90 miles range on my last drive, something isnt right".

That first thing, maybe you are right. The second thing, there is likely nothing at all wrong. In order to prove your car and hers are "different", she would have to do that same drive, at the same time, with the same weight at the same speed, in the same weather conditions. No one is likely doing that, but the TL ; DR is, there almost assuredly nothing wrong with your car because "it used 90 miles to go 60".

You could have a 12 volt battery issue related to the overnight drain, but that would not have anything to do at all with "my car used 90 miles for a 60 mile drive".

Couple of quick ways to tell if the car is sleeping
1 if the app connects quickly to the car, chances are it’s not asleep
2 if your car has been left overnight and you are standing near the car and you don’t hear the thunk of the HV contactors
when opening a door or the trunk or using the app the car isn’t sleeping

I just took the kids to the park and saw that the car had driven 60 miles and the remaining miles was 182 so essentially it'd cost me "90 miles" to drive the 60 miles. Something is off here.

As mentioned, this has nothing to do with vampire drain. We attempted to clarify this point earlier in the conversation - and you said you were talking about vampire drain!

By definition, this has nothing to do with what happens when you are driving. Vampire drain only happens when parked:

(from your OP, it's actually not clear that it is - you need to be careful to distinguish between losses in park and losses while driving)

But the short answer is my car is having more vampire drain than my wife's, period.

Your driving result to the park is perfectly normal. No problem. It’s perfectly normal for identical vehicles to vary dramatically in these results, even if they have exactly the same efficiency and actually achieve the same results after eliminating the variables.

Couple of quick ways to tell if the car is sleeping
1 if the app connects quickly to the car, chances are it’s not asleep
2 if your car has been left overnight and you are standing near the car and you don’t hear the thunk of the HV contactors
when opening a door or the trunk or using the app the car isn’t sleeping
It's a hit and miss. Sometimes it takes both cars forever to get connected to the phone app; sometimes it's super quick. The main thing is there's not much difference between the 2 cars in connectivity.

If your car isnt sleeping, and your wifes is, that would explain that. There are some reasons why your car wont sleep, but start with ensuring you have no third party apps of any kind at all (teslafi, stats, tesla watch apps, etc) nothing at all but the tesla official app. If you ever even once installed one of those apps, change the password on your tesla account.

Re test, and see if the drain is gone.

Make sure you dont have sentry mode on. Sometimes people turn on sentry mode except at home, but the car turns sentry on at home anyway. Sentry mode uses 1-2 miles of range per hour (yes, thats not a typo, its 24-48 miles range per full day).

Turn off summon standby, which uses about as much range as sentry mode.

Start with those and see if it improves for your vehicle. There is likely something setup different between your car and hers.

This. I just got back from Sunnyvale, where parked the car in a driveway but it was still close to the sidewalk. The temps got down into the upper 40's; I noticed I lost 20 miles overnight. Then I saw my USB drive was full. When I opened it, I saw all kinds of pictures of neighbors out walking their dogs, baby stollers, et al, only a few feet from the back of my car all evening. Sentry mode did it job, even if it cost me some range.

If you use widgets in iOS, you can just check, and it'll show that the car is asleep. Here you can see that the Tesla app needs you to re-open for it to wake up, and Stats actually shows that the car is sleeping:
IMG_9535.jpeg