Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 losing significant range after supposedly charging to charge limit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ChrisH

Jun 4, 2013
Milton, wa
Hello-

Does anyone else have this issue? A couple of times in the past month, I’ve charged my model 3 to say 70% state of charge, it gives me a notification when it is done charging and then a couple of hours later I open the app and it starts charging again.

For example, tonight I charged to 70% and got a notification stating it was fully charged at 209 miles range. I opened the app a couple hours later (haven’t used the car, it’s still plugged in) and it starts charging again, indicating it has 196 miles range. 13 miles loss while plugged in, no sentry, no other use over a couple hours.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Something is keeping your car awake. If you are not using sentry mode, or cabin overheat protection, if you have (or have ever at any point had) any third party apps, start with changing your tesla password to invalidate the token and see if the drain stops.
I will check cabin overheat protection. Car was in the garage that was 78 degrees but maybe the interior was warm for some reason. No third party apps. Good tip on the password.

Reactions: adayley
13 miles loss while plugged in, no sentry, no other use over a couple hours.

This is far too high for any feature drain loss other than COP, it is about 1.3-1.6kW of power (depends on vehicle model year). 13rmi*~220Wh/rmi / 2hr = 1.4kW

So the only explanation is heating or cooling. Would be cooling in this case. If you turn off AC for COP that could reduce cooling consumption a lot if the car were in the sun. Still, this is higher than I would expect for COP for the conditions you state. 1.3kW is a lot of power for AC and I'd expect steady state consumption to be lower once the cabin was at temperature (and besides, COP doesn't kick in until the cabin is much hotter).

So, somehow your AC was left running (and again, for the same reasons mentioned above, seems a bit too high unless you had it set to "LO," completely open loop).

If that's not the case, then this is an issue with the BMS estimation re-evaluating its life choices after the charge is complete. This sort of magnitude of change (some sort of re-estimation of capacity once the car goes to sleep) has been known to happen but it's not really normal for it to change this much.

This is far too high for any feature drain loss other than COP, it is about 1.3-1.6kW of power (depends on vehicle model year). 13rmi*~220Wh/rmi / 2hr = 1.4kW

So the only explanation is heating or cooling. Would be cooling in this case. If you turn off AC for COP that could reduce cooling consumption a lot if the car were in the sun. Still, this is higher than I would expect for COP for the conditions you state. 1.3kW is a lot of power for AC and I'd expect steady state consumption to be lower once the cabin was at temperature (and besides, COP doesn't kick in until the cabin is much hotter).

So, somehow your AC was left running (and again, for the same reasons mentioned above, seems a bit too high unless you had it set to "LO," completely open loop).

If that's not the case, then this is an issue with the BMS estimation re-evaluating its life choices after the charge is complete. This sort of magnitude of change (some sort of re-estimation of capacity once the car goes to sleep) has been known to happen but it's not really normal for it to change this much.

Yeah definitely odd. After recharged back up it charged to 71% instead of 70% and didn’t lose any range while sitting in the garage for two days lol.