Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Lost A Wheel In Front of Me!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Howdy M3 owners and admirers (I'm still an admirer and soon-to-be owner),

I'm a motorcyclist and have been commuting to L.A. for work on a 2013 white Triumph Daytona 675R sportbike. I saw the strangest thing, and maybe you'll have some insight here.

I haven't had a car in about a year as I am saving up for a Model 3 Long Range (white). I was behind the locus of my affection (a white Model 3 in the wild) and everything was normal, until I noticed a rogue wheel rolling on its own in the HOV lane. The wheel came off the left side of a vehicle and was rolling to my left, so avoiding it was no issue. I was amazed at how much it was rolling though!

I quickly realized (being the road-scanning rider that I am) that the Model 3 in front of me had lost its left rear wheel. WHA?

Around that time, the M3 pilot also noticed the issue, and surprisingly the M3 was stable enough on three wheels for it not to immediately sink down on the missing rotor. The M3 driver starting pulling to the right, and I tracked him to help stop traffic behind (like a cop doing a traffic break, kinda) to help the Pete Sully of four-wheeled travel. He made it far enough over where they'd be okay and I carried upon my merry and eventful commute.

What gives? Are there any known issues with wheels coming off of Teslas, or is this more likely just an errant wheel installation where either the bolts were missing entirely or just not DUGGADUGGA'd with enough torque? Would the Tesla alert the driver if a wheel had gone missing? I suppose it would be obvious, especially if the driver sees a missing wheel in the side mirrors and a somewhat animated motorcyclist behind waving them over to the right. :D

I'm impressed that the Tesla Model 3 was still driveable with three wheels. Probably due to that very low center of gravity and three other wheels to share the load. Good to know. ;)

Howdy M3 owners and admirers (I'm still an admirer and soon-to-be owner),

I'm a motorcyclist and have been commuting to L.A. for work on a 2013 white Triumph Daytona 675R sportbike. I saw the strangest thing, and maybe you'll have some insight here.

I haven't had a car in about a year as I am saving up for a Model 3 Long Range (white). I was behind the locus of my affection (a white Model 3 in the wild) and everything was normal, until I noticed a rogue wheel rolling on its own in the HOV lane. The wheel came off the left side of a vehicle and was rolling to my left, so avoiding it was no issue. I was amazed at how much it was rolling though!

I quickly realized (being the road-scanning rider that I am) that the Model 3 in front of me had lost its left rear wheel. WHA?

Around that time, the M3 pilot also noticed the issue, and surprisingly the M3 was stable enough on three wheels for it not to immediately sink down on the missing rotor. The M3 driver starting pulling to the right, and I tracked him to help stop traffic behind (like a cop doing a traffic break, kinda) to help the Pete Sully of four-wheeled travel. He made it far enough over where they'd be okay and I carried upon my merry and eventful commute.

What gives? Are there any known issues with wheels coming off of Teslas, or is this more likely just an errant wheel installation where either the bolts were missing entirely or just not DUGGADUGGA'd with enough torque? Would the Tesla alert the driver if a wheel had gone missing? I suppose it would be obvious, especially if the driver sees a missing wheel in the side mirrors and a somewhat animated motorcyclist behind waving them over to the right. :D

I'm impressed that the Tesla Model 3 was still driveable with three wheels. Probably due to that very low center of gravity and three other wheels to share the load. Good to know. ;)

wheel came off because it wasn’t torqued correctly. 99% chance that’s the cause. Duggadugga guns are great for removing. I’m not a fan of them for installing things. Proper torque matters.

wheel came off because it wasn’t torqued correctly. 99% chance that’s the cause. Duggadugga guns are great for removing. I’m not a fan of them for installing things. Proper torque matters.

I agree. As someone who works on my own bike, I'm very particular about torque! :D I also think that is the most likely explanation. Bolts were either missing entirely or not torqued correctly at all.

This happened to a friend of mine who was driving a Mustang. A shop had just rotated tires. They paid for damages...

Whoa! That's gotta induce a bit of anxiety...losing a wheel at speed! The worst thing that happened to me on the freeway (because crashing my motorcycle) was losing my newly-installed chain. That could have been much worse than it was. I had my mechanic install a rivet type chain after that....something I know and trust.

I think the most scary non-crash aside from that was being on a dark stretch of freeway at night in the HOV lane. I saw something funny ahead and started slowing down a little, only to come upon a 90-something CIVIC coupe facing me (but also crashed in to the wall) in the HOV lane, with NO lights on. I snaked around him safely enough—and this accident had clearly just happened. It's a good thing I was paying attention or I would have smashed in to that car at about 80 mph. It was really hard to see but I'm glad I slowed down to get a better look as a precaution. I didn't get a peek at the driver and there was no way I was going to stop there. Someone with a mobile probably called it in.

The time I crashed on the freeway with my bike, someone called it in...probably before I was done sliding....as the ambulance and cops showed up pretty quickly with no intervention from me.

Last edited:
He probably just left a Tesla Service Center. My rear under panel came off on the freeway after picking up my car from the Service Center. They forgot to put in 10 bolts and 6 fasteners.

When a wheel isn't torqued properly and finally works it's way off, you know that for a good amount of time that driver heard horrible noises coming from their car and completely ignored them.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life

Glad to hear the runaway wheel didn't cause an accident !!