Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - Lost both Keycards

afadeev

Feb 28, 2019
NYC
Model 3 - July 2019 delivery. Lost both Keycards. My iPhone is used to open and drive the car. Now got a new Keycard. When adding it, system is asking for existing Keycard to validate it. My phone doesn’t seem to work for it. What do I do?

Option 1: order replacement card online and pay $25 for a new card:
Model 3 Key Card

Option 2: drive to a service center (don't bother setting up an appointment, just go in), and pay $13 for a new card.
Have it coded and leave with one working on the spot.

• Disagree
Reactions: MountainRatMat
53ff041b2a341.jpeg

SomeJoe7777

Marginally-Known Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houston, TX
Option 1: order replacement card online and pay $25 for a new card:
Model 3 Key Card

That will not solve the issue. If both key cards are lost, the service center MUST program a new card to the car using the service laptop. You cannot add a new card to the car yourself without an existing working card.

Schedule a service appointment and be prepared to pay.

How the hell do you lose both keycards? Prepare to pay the stupid tax for that one.

This just happened to me. I got a new phone and needed a key card to drive the car. After realizing I had lost both key cards, I scheduled a service appointment to have a new key programmed.

This does not cost a lot!. The invoice was $23.60.

Tesla: "Hello, this is James from Tesla Service preparing your request for service. The cost to reprogram a key card is $23.60. I've generated and sent a quote over to the email we have on file as well for review. Please let me know if you would like to proceed. Reply STOP to unsubscribe."

Me: "I don't have either key by the way. It's still $23.60?"

Tesla: "yeah, that included the labor to program the key card. Reply STOP to unsubscribe."

Was this a mobile service job or did you have to bring you car into the service center?

This just happened to me. I got a new phone and needed a key card to drive the car. After realizing I had lost both key cards, I scheduled a service appointment to have a new key programmed.

This does not cost a lot!. The invoice was $23.60.

Tesla: "Hello, this is James from Tesla Service preparing your request for service. The cost to reprogram a key card is $23.60. I've generated and sent a quote over to the email we have on file as well for review. Please let me know if you would like to proceed. Reply STOP to unsubscribe."

Me: "I don't have either key by the way. It's still $23.60?"

Tesla: "yeah, that included the labor to program the key card. Reply STOP to unsubscribe."

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC