Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Louisiana Final Order Paperwork

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cross posting here from the model 3 ordering forum as no-one has responded since I posted this question yesterday and hope that someone may have an answer. This may be a long shot since I was told my M3 will probably be the 2nd delivered in the Louisiana but are there any others here that have received their "final" order agreement for Louisiana? I received mine on Friday and it did not list any sales tax, license or registration fees.

My DS called Friday night to let me know that they were awaiting payment and when I explained that I was waiting on the final amount he seemed surprised and indicated it was an error. He previously told me that Tesla will be taking care of titlling and registering the vehicle. He also said he was working Saturday and promised to get me updated paperwork yesterday but I’ve received nothing.

I’m curious what anyone else received for our State.

Thank you.

I am up in West Monroe, LA still waiting on my invite for a config, although I'm not a previous owner. I was wondering how this was going to work out and I guess I just found out. Do you have to take delivery in state or can you just pick it up anywhere and then register in state?

Did you have to pay CA sales tax? That's what happened to me whenever I picked up my current car in Los Angeles. Thanks for posting!

I am up in West Monroe, LA still waiting on my invite for a config, although I'm not a previous owner. I was wondering how this was going to work out and I guess I just found out. Do you have to take delivery in state or can you just pick it up anywhere and then register in state?

Did you have to pay CA sales tax? That's what happened to me whenever I picked up my current car in Los Angeles. Thanks for posting!
I learned a little more since I posted.

I received from Tesla via Fedex some additional paperwork that included California out-of-state title forms that I signed and returned. It also included a 20 day temporary California tag. This process wasn't explained by my sales advisor so it was a bit of a surprise. I take the temporary tag with me to the delivery. California sales tax is not due.

For delivery I was given the option of picking up in Houston or having it delivered. Houston was the quicker option so that is what I selected. The vehicle would have been shipped to Houston either way for delivery prep.

• Informative
Reactions: ryanakata and kbM3
I haven’t been in this site for awhile, first time seeing this thread. Yes you have to register the car yourself. If there is usually a long wait at the dmv, it may be feasible for you to go to a car title place and pay that 30-50 bucks to have it licensed and registered. Just remember to bring cash or money order as some places don’t accept checks.

I haven’t been in this site for awhile, first time seeing this thread. Yes you have to register the car yourself. If there is usually a long wait at the dmv, it may be feasible for you to go to a car title place and pay that 30-50 bucks to have it licensed and registered. Just remember to bring cash or money order as some places don’t accept checks.

You have to pay the entire car's sales tax when you register the car at the DMV. For a Tesla, you're talking a few thousand dollars in cash at those third party places. (Mine was over $9000 in sales tax) I sucked it up and went to the DMV and waited 3 hours. At least they took credit card.

You have to pay the entire car's sales tax when you register the car at the DMV. For a Tesla, you're talking a few thousand dollars in cash at those third party places. (Mine was over $9000 in sales tax) I sucked it up and went to the DMV and waited 3 hours. At least they took credit card.
Can you confirm how long it took Tesla to send you the necessary paperwork to register the vehicle and what paperwork is it. I still haven't received anything other than the temporary tag which is good for 90 days. I believe I have to do this within 40. Both my previous Tesla's were purchased in Arizona and they processed all the paperwork and I receive my tags via FedEx.

I learned a little more since I posted.

I received from Tesla via Fedex some additional paperwork that included California out-of-state title forms that I signed and returned. It also included a 20 day temporary California tag. This process wasn't explained by my sales advisor so it was a bit of a surprise. I take the temporary tag with me to the delivery. California sales tax is not due.

For delivery I was given the option of picking up in Houston or having it delivered. Houston was the quicker option so that is what I selected. The vehicle would have been shipped to Houston either way for delivery prep.

I received my VIN Friday. Hoping delivery is soon. If pick up in Dallas isn't an option then I may just wait for the car to come to me.

On taxes when I purchased my BMW from a CA dealer, it was used but since it was an out of state purchase, the DMV worker just went to kbb.com and grabbed the value of the car and charged tax on that rate . I'm pretty sure we won't be lucky enough to have the same happen with the 3.

I was told we have 40 days to register it from the date of purchase. Taxes are going to suck but at least the state credit is decent .

Cross posting here from the model 3 ordering forum as no-one has responded since I posted this question yesterday and hope that someone may have an answer. This may be a long shot since I was told my M3 will probably be the 2nd delivered in the Louisiana but are there any others here that have received their "final" order agreement for Louisiana? I received mine on Friday and it did not list any sales tax, license or registration fees.

My DS called Friday night to let me know that they were awaiting payment and when I explained that I was waiting on the final amount he seemed surprised and indicated it was an error. He previously told me that Tesla will be taking care of titlling and registering the vehicle. He also said he was working Saturday and promised to get me updated paperwork yesterday but I’ve received nothing.

I’m curious what anyone else received for our State.

Thank you.
I only know of one delivery taken in La and it happened at the supper chargers on Perkins in BR .
I ordered mine a week ago but haven't heard anything besides a confoconfirm email .

I only know of one delivery taken in La and it happened at the supper chargers on Perkins in BR .
I ordered mine a week ago but haven't heard anything besides a confoconfirm email .

I picked up mine at the Houston delivery center on March 28. Because of the wonderful local FedEx delivery driver who won't deliver the paperwork because it was sent signature required I still don't have it to register the vehicle. Tesla is resending it to my office, hopefully I'm time before I'm delinquent for registration.

This is finally resolved. Tesla was able to re-overnight the paperwork, a manufacturer certificate of origin, signed bill of sale and the partially completed Louisiana registration form. The only item that the DMV questioned was documentation of the actual mileage. In the end after a three hour wait to see someone then they provided the plate, tag and registration form.