TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Model 3 low speed pedestrian warning sound?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by alexeiw123, May 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. alexeiw123

alexeiw123 Member

Something I'm interested in, which can't be conveyed in photos: I wonder if the model 3 is going to have a low speed pedestrian warning tone? I personally hope not but I feel like it's going to become a requirement at some stage.

2. Puppy7505

Puppy7505 Member

I believe it is for cars sold in the U.S. beginning in 2019.

• Like x 2
  3. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind one that I can purposely turn on and off, but hey, if the Model 3 has cameras 360 degrees then it could simply make noise only when it detects pedestrians.

Here's an older Elon quote:

• Like x 3
  4. smartypnz

smartypnz Supporting Member

The low speed pedestrian warning buzzer will sound like a bump.

• Funny x 10
    • Like x 1
  5. T34ME

T34ME Member

My 2012 Prius PHEV has this warning tone that sounds kind of like a small swarm of bees. Inside the car with windows up, you can't hear it at all. It only activates under 15 mph in EV mode as I recall. It is a potential lifesaver and I appreciate it. It is not an issue.

• Like x 2
  6. shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade Member

The 2nd gen Volt also has a low speed sound, I've heard people say it's "like a submarine" (whatever that sounds like) I think it sounds like an alien craft from a 60s space show!
    Doesn't bother me at all, and it's quiet enough I still scare the $)(!^ out of people glued to their phones! :D

7. Mishakim

Mishakim Member

The Leaf makes a sound, but to my ear it just sounds like an electric motor, I guess it's louder than the actual electric motor? At any rate, I've never observed a pedestrian react to my Leaf as if they heard the noise it's making, they either hear the road crunch (poorly paved access road to my neighborhood), or they are surprised when they happen to turn and see it sneaking up on them.

8. S3XY

S3XY Member

I repeat what I said the last time this conversation came up. I want the low speed tone to sound like the "cars" in the Jetsons.

• Like x 2
  9. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

Its called a horn.

• Like x 1
  10. Thomas Edison

Thomas Edison Member

Just roll down your windows and blast Metallica. If that doesn't get everyone's attention and you happen to still hit someone (even with autopilot) then I guess that's a +1 for evolution.

• Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  11. Big-T

Big-T Member

You'd think you could pick your choice of sounds from the menu - like ringtones

• Funny x 1
  12. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

Disconnected it on my Volt. Sounds like a vacuum cleaner. Stupid. Now my car is dead silent. I like

And if you need noise generated then turn up the music!

• Like x 2
  13. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

Toyota's noisemaker sounds exactly like this: .

It seems Toyota started putting this on all their hybrids and EVs starting w/model year 2012 (well, they only had the Rav4 EV). This includes Lexus.

Leaf's noise is at Nissan Leaf Noisemaker--truely disgusting noise. (I drive a Leaf.)

• Helpful x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  14. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

If it can't be turned off then I will definitely disconnect mine in the future. I mean if we want to make it fair, then what's next, blinking lights?

15. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Member

I wonder if the 2019 law will be specific in this area. It seems to me that the Model 3 could have the ability to simply disable the noise via touchscreen (enabled by default so Tesla can say they did their part).

16. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

#16 JeffK, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
    Well there is this tricky section:

Maybe the enabled by default this gets around this, but it doesn't get around this:

I think there's going to be an aftermarket for disabling or installing a remote cut off, but even that wouldn't be legal per:
    So it'd have to be done by a non-vehicle repair business that makes the modification. I'd hope that we have instructions posted to TMC. Personally, I'd like to install a way to turn it on and off, at will, instead of permanently disabling it.

For example, in a parking garage I might turn it on. I don't want it on when at a stop light or other such nonsense.

17. T34ME

T34ME Member

Mine only works when the car is moving under electrical power. It shuts off when the car is not moving at a stop sign. It only activates when moving under 15 mph.

18. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

In the future they must work whenever the car is in gear according to the law (whether moving or not).

• Informative x 1
  19. melindav

melindav ☰ reserved

and to 19 MPH IIRC

• Informative x 1
  20. 1208

1208 Active Member

Just shout "Look before crossing the ****ing road, you selfish *****rds for expecting everything done for you including thinking!!!"

• Informative x 1