Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR AWD bald rear tires @ 4200 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know many will say this is due to how i drive, but were talking about a tire with a 45,000 warranty only getting 10% of that and they are bald. And the traction control will never allow the tires to spin.

Now i'll admit i have done some hard launches when the car was brand new but that was not every day for the last 4200 miles. I'm currently at 299 wh/mi for the life of the car (4200 miles)

Both rear tires are evenly wore and are at the wear bars (3/32)

IMG-6592.jpg

fronts look brand new

IMG-6591.jpg

Thoughts????

Rotate your tires every day. Barring that, maybe consider rotating every 1000 miles.

All kidding aside, it seems something must be wrong to have such unbalanced wear front to rear. The fronts look normal for 4000 miles. The rears are done.

Would be nice to have a full cross-tread pic of both front and rear, as the rears show a hint of feathering on the outer tread block. Also, how were your pressures?

My rears have considerable wear at 1K miles. It very much depends on how you drive. About all you can do if you’re concerned is check the alignment.

If you don’t accelerate hard often though, you do appear to have quite high wear. I wouldn’t think there’s a whole lot you can do about it however.

299 lifetime wh/mi kind of indicates you are driving it on the hard side. Not terribly hard, but a little hard. Not enough for such unbalanced wear.

Are you getting expected 0-60 times, the car will run without the front motor ;)

I don't know how say an alignment could cause rears to wear so much faster than front and have good wear in the front and even wear side side to side.

Might be worth a call to Tesla.

Considerable toe can roast tires in hundreds of miles and wouldn’t be super noticeable to most unless you drive on loose surfaces often. Even a smidge more toe in or out will have a huge impact in tire life, and it would largely impact one axle.

But to me 4200 miles on those tires means you’re doing great. You can probably get another 1500-2000 out of them before belts start showing. Probably sensible to grab some fresh ones a bit before that.

Rotate your tires every day. Barring that, maybe consider rotating every 1000 miles.
All kidding aside, it seems something must be wrong to have such unbalanced wear front to rear. The fronts look normal for 4000 miles. The rears are done.

Would be nice to have a full cross-tread pic of both front and rear, as the rears show a hint of feathering on the outer tread block. Also, how were your pressures?

I'll get some full cross tread pix in the morning, pressures were 42 cold all the way around since new, end up around 45 when warm.

299 lifetime wh/mi kind of indicates you are driving it on the hard side. Not terribly hard, but a little hard. Not enough for such unbalanced wear.

Are you getting expected 0-60 times, the car will run without the front motor ;)

I don't know how say an alignment could cause rears to wear so much faster than front and have good wear in the front and even wear side side to side.

Might be worth a call to Tesla.

Im guessing the 299 wh/mi is due to high speeds on the freeway as i dont go around punching it all day in traffic. only time i checked 0-60 it ran a 4.02, as far as alignment, both rears look the same very evenly wore, and both fronts look the same evenly wore.

Reactions: mswlogo
Considerable toe can roast tires in hundreds of miles and wouldn’t be super noticeable to most unless you drive on loose surfaces often. Even a smidge more toe in or out will have a huge impact in tire life, and it would largely impact one axle.

But to me 4200 miles on those tires means you’re doing great. You can probably get another 1500-2000 out of them before belts start showing. Probably sensible to grab some fresh ones a bit before that.

4200 miles is ridiculous. I know others getting well over 30K. And his rear tires are shot. Something isn't right.

the rears are wearing out faster on the 3 AWD vs. the S AWD. I go about 22 K on the S AWD and all 4 are worn evenly. Two sets on the S at 44K miles now.

And I always drive lead footed both cars. On the 3 they are easily 1/2 worn at 10K so I rotated them. Fronts look great.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
I'll get some full cross tread pix in the morning, pressures were 42 cold all the way around since new, end up around 45 when warm.

Im guessing the 299 wh/mi is due to high speeds on the freeway as i dont go around punching it all day in traffic. only time i checked 0-60 it ran a 4.02, as far as alignment, both rears look the same very evenly wore, and both fronts look the same evenly wore.

I would have them check your toe. Not sure what else it could be. Your foot seems pretty heavy. 300Wh/mi is what you would expect for an *average* of 75-80mph or so, with those tires, IIRC. In LA with just 4K miles you have not been using much heat, assuming 1k miles per month (looks like you got the car around April). I would expect achievable numbers of 250-260Wh/mi with an AWD with MXM4s with a reasonable amount of 70-80mph driving in moderate traffic.

After correcting alignment, try to minimize your use of regen and braking. Coast!

FWIW:

6k miles, P3D+, lifetime 283Wh/mi, last 2k have been at 265Wh/mi. Rotated PS4S tires recently, 5/32 rear, 7/32 front. With ~8 miles of autocross on them. I figure I might get 15-20k out of them depending on how I drive going forward.

Last edited:
12,000 miles AWD 19in, tires are like new. maybe alignment/balance issues. Whenever I get a new car I take it to my tire shop and purchase a really cheap lifetime alignment and wheel balancing package. My brand new model 3 did need some alignment and more than a little bit of wheel balance.

By your profile pic I'm assuming 18", is that right? For 18", 42 cold is a little low, don't know about 19". When I got my car (with 18") they were at 50 which is rather high. I've settled in to 44-45.

299 wh/mi is a pretty high average. I also have an AWD LR, I am in the 250s, falling from an early average of low 260s. And 90% of my driving to work is freeway. By that I mean about 54 miles per day, 50 of which is freeway with cruise at about 70 MPH.

On my car, the inside edge of the front tires has worn the most. Once I noticed that I rotated them to the back, but that was kind of late, about 18,000 miles I think. They're almost at 24,000 now and still doing ok.

Last edited:
By your profile pic I'm assuming 18", is that right? For 18", 42 cold is a little low, don't know about 19". When I got my car (with 18") they were at 50 which is rather high. I've settled in to 44-45.

299 wh/mi is a pretty high average. I also have an AWD LR, I am in the 250s, falling from an early average of low 260s. And 90% of my driving to work is freeway. By that I mean about 54 miles per day, 50 of which is freeway with cruise at about 70 MPH.

On my car, the inside edge of the front tires has worn the most. Once I noticed that I rotated them to the back, but that was kind of late, about 18,000 miles I think. They're almost at 24,000 now and still doing ok.

42 psi cold for 18” AWD is correct. Apparently for 18” RWD it’s 45 psi.

My summer time wh/mi is 230 with 42 psi, AWD on 19” OEM wheels, not OEM tires. I cruise at 65 mph.

If I ran 45 psi, my wh/mi would probably drop to 210 wh/mi. I had 18” come with the car and the car felt like riding on basket balls at 45 psi.

I am at 240 wh/mi lifetime at just over 20,000 miles and my tires were at 6/32.. so.. it is how your drive LOL. I drive it as my commute car. My previous car got the exact same tires (Michelin Primacy MXM4) just 17" instead of 18".. and I went thru 3 sets of those each last over 60,000 miles.

LR RWD with OEM 18" tires at 17k miles with 4/32 and 5/32 on the rear and front, respectively. I've been rotating them every 6500 miles. I average 233Wh/mi. It's quite easy to drive aggressively in a 3 without feeling like it's aggressive driving, so that's likely the cause for your fast tire wear.

LR AWD on 19 OEM wheels and tires (Continental), 42psi, drive mostly in Chill mode, avg Wh/mi 257. At 7500 mi, rears were at 5mm, fronts at 6.5mm second to inside tread valley, two outers and inner at 6mm. I will get an alignment check at next service visit to see why the odd wear. Maybe toe.