Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3, LR-AWD First Impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But they used to include the 14-50 adapter. It is a marketing ploy because Tesla does not want you to put in a NEMA 14-50 outlet, they want you to buy the Tesla Wall Connector and pay the $500 which you did.

They havent included it for quite some time, but the thought that "its a ploy to get people to buy the wall connector" is pretty strange in my opinion. Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

The car used to come with not only a 14-50 adapter but a couple others. There was very little chance a person would use them all, so the others were just there as a convenience. Back then (when I got my model 3 in 2018) the car was more expensive than it is now.

It makes a LOT more sense to remove $100 worth of adapters from every vehicle, and then have the person choose to buy exactly what they wanted / needed. There does not have to be nefarious intent by tesla to try to "force" anything, just a desire to lower the price of the car, and remove a bunch of stuff that cost them money that people were not using. I have a bag full of adapters in my trunk I drive around with that I have never used.

Now, if you want to talk about the removal of the clips in the frunk, that seems to me to be basic cost cutting / de contenting. Even the removal of the homelink as standard makes sense because tesla has to pay a license fee for each car that has it installed. Where tesla messed up with homelink is not having it be a selection in the ordering menu so you can order it with the car.

I wanted to write this because this forum has been very helpful to me to understand and live thru ordering and delivery timetables.

First, I was incredibly lucky to get my car in 33 days after ordering. Ordered on 4/1, picked it up this afternoon, 5/4. White, Black interior, 18” wheels, non FSD, LR-AWD.

So I checked in (Mt. Kisco, NY), I seem to be the only one checking in at this time (3pm), went quickly, downloaded some QR codes and I was done. Earlier in the day they asked if I would send my insurance cards to them for quick registration at delivery. So I walked over to the car and it had my name on the dashboard. A rep came out a few minutes later, told me to look over the car, and then when satisfied sign the paperwork that was on the center console in a folder. I looked over the car with a fine tooth comb. The only thing out of alignment was on the front bumper, a small oval shape plug that covers the towing plug. The associate tried to fiddle with it, and then told me he was taking the car into the shop and the service dept will have it aligned. That took 5 minutes and all good. I had read horror stories about mis-aligned body parts. My car is white and it would easily show, everything was aligned perfectly, I could find no faults.

So once I signed the paperwork, he took it all inside, said I would get an email copy for my records. I was never rushed to get out, he told me to take my time. I was impressed. I paired up my phone, set the mirrors and my seat, and off I went.

On the way home I was hoping to find SiriusXM radio but could not find it on the display. I wonder if I have to download something, I am sure it is there in some form, I was under the impression that new cars get at least a 90 day trial. I thought the radio was lousy, that is the speaker system was just poor. My wife has a 2019 Subaru Crosstrek with the Harmon Kardon radio, the car is almost half the cost of a Model 3 and the radio blows this one away. Oh well. The car does have the wood trim in the doors. However, I am not a fan of how the wood trim looks, to me it just does not go with the rest of the dashboard. I used the adaptive cruise control on the way home on a highway, it was great. I did not have them put the front license plate bracket on, do not want that sticky stuff. And yes I drove off the lots with actual plates on the car. The actual registration will come in the mail, the temporary registration is taped to the window for now. The seats seemed comfy, not outstanding. I had about 310 miles of range in the car when I drove it off the lot with 5 miles on the odometer.

Important: I have a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage, not buying the Tesla Wall Connector. In the trunk is a black bag with charging goodies. You get the power cord, a 120 volt adapter, and a J1772 adapter to use at non-Tesla fast chargers. You do NOT get the NEMA 14-50 adapter cord. I knew this in advance but I feel Tesla is screwing us. It is a sly way of having you buy the Tesla Wall Connector ($500). As of the date of this writing the adapter is sold out on-line, but the dealer in Mt. Kisco had them in stock and I bought one ($45). So know this in advance.

Also, I was going to rip off the aero hubs because they are ugly. However, on inspection Tesla has changed the design of them, so I had bought the center cap and lug cover kit, but returned it because the aero hubs have been redesigned and are much better looking than the prior ones. I confirmed they are a different design because when I went out to do an errand, an older M3 was parked near me and I was able to compare.

The rear plate is on the car, they put on the license plate holder with the Tesla name on it, ugly. I am getting the silicone one for the front and back, much better looking. Also did not have them put on the front license bracket which uses the adhesive tape. I ordered the Quick Bandit and should have that in a few days. I am taking a risk in NYS driving around with no front plate. It is in the trunk at the moment.

So that is some first impressions. Car handled very well on the way home. Very peppy, of course.
Since the Model 3 doesn’t have a SiriusXM radio, I got a streaming subscription, I have unlimited data on my Verizon phone. Installed the app on my iPhone and it works great.

Reactions: Willy’sEV
I have been using SiriusXM in a few former cars and I was surprised that it was not offered in the M3.
I assumed, wrongly, that there would be trial subscription as other car manufacturers do it, but Musk is a non-conformist.
Just for a change I subscribed to Spotify Premium and can get all the songs I want, when I want them.
Since I got this car, just wanted a different plan on things to try out. If I don’t like it I could cancel and do the streaming with SiriusXM.

Reactions: hcdavis3
I had XM with my Subie prior to the MY purchase, ended up just cancelling the subscription as knowing using the phone to flip channels (which I often do) would be a huge pain in the ass
I do wish Tesla offers an app store eventually as it would solve the issue

My Model 3 came with multiple charging adapters including the 14-50. The rest of you must be getting screwed.
In May of 1998, I paid $56,000 USD (including destination and doc fees) for my LR, RWD Red Model 3 with 18" wheels, EAP, Premium interior and 310 miles of range. Today, a LR AWD Red Model 3 with 18" wheels, AP and Premium interior standard, and 353 miles of range will cost roughly $52000. So, for $4000 less, you get 10% more range AND dual motors. But you don't get the $35 14-50 adapter. What a scam!

When you buy a Tesla, you have to decide that you're happy with exactly what you're getting at the price your getting it for today. Because if they've proven one thing over the years, it's that the price, features, and even appearance of the car can change drastically tomorrow. Even though I could have waited three years and gotten a better, cheaper car, I'm perfectly happy with what I got - my attitude towards those who buy now and get today's car is "More power to you; keep on grinning. I am."

And, by the way, I'm in the camp of loving my Model 3 audio. It matches my expectations of, and preference for, a balanced, flat response curve that just kicks ass. If your ear is tickled by a different balance, then you may need to make some changes; Tesla can't please everyone all the time especially in something as personal as audio.

My Model 3 came with multiple charging adapters including the 14-50. The rest of you must be getting screwed.
In May of 1998, I paid $56,000 USD (including destination and doc fees) for my LR, RWD Red Model 3 with 18" wheels, EAP, Premium interior and 310 miles of range. Today, a LR AWD Red Model 3 with 18" wheels, AP and Premium interior standard, and 353 miles of range will cost roughly $52000. So, for $4000 less, you get 10% more range AND dual motors. But you don't get the $35 14-50 adapter. What a scam!

When you buy a Tesla, you have to decide that you're happy with exactly what you're getting at the price your getting it for today. Because if they've proven one thing over the years, it's that the price, features, and even appearance of the car can change drastically tomorrow. Even though I could have waited three years and gotten a better, cheaper car, I'm perfectly happy with what I got - my attitude towards those who buy now and get today's car is "More power to you; keep on grinning. I am."

And, by the way, I'm in the camp of loving my Model 3 audio. It matches my expectations of, and preference for, a balanced, flat response curve that just kicks ass. If your ear is tickled by a different balance, then you may need to make some changes; Tesla can't please everyone all the time especially in something as personal as audio.
As an update to my audio complaint, after being flamed on this forum, went to youtube and found some radio adjustment videos from some knowledgable people, made a few changes and I have to say the radio/speaker system is working quite well with wonderful sound quality.

Reactions: BrianBigNFun