Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MODEL 3 LR AWD vs 16/17 MODEL S

Model 3 LR AWD vs Model S 16/17

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Input on new Model 3 LR AWD vs a 16/17 S 75D/85 etc. I have done some research and I am pretty sure there are still some Model S models with Unlimitted Supercharging and HW 2 (enhanced autopilot) would these S models also have FSD available upgrade? I have seen some 75Ds on car gurus for 50-60k based on depreciation I could technically buy an S drive it for 1-2 years then get a Y. Reason I am still not 100 on Model 3 is I am coming from a small crossover (MKC) and don't know how I feel about losing some cargo space though I don't use it as much I know I will curse myself that one time I need to fit bigger items, at least the S has a hatch style and bigger opening in the back and I could probably snatch one for similar price as a LR AWD M3 which is what I am looking at. The depreciation wouldn't be terrible for 1-2 years for a used Model S right? So maybe I break even after I sell/trade in for a model Y? Any input?

Here's a write up about the different versions of Model S. https://www.teslaadviceblog.com/blog/buying-guide-model-s-versions-1-2-3-and-4

Yes, an October 2016 to mid January 2017 Model S will have transferable free unlimited supercharging AND Autopilot Hardware 2.0 (and therefore upgradable to Hardware 3.0) so they're a nice unicorn if you can find one at a good price.

If coming from an SUV and you're use to the extra storage space, yes, makes more sense to get the Model S which has 30 cu ft vs the Model 3 which has about 15 cu ft. For comparison, your MKC has 25 cu ft. That said, Model 3 isn't bad and can handle a quite a bit with the rear seats down. Build quality is also better in a recent production Model 3. And of course, Model 3 is more efficient and easier to park due to its smaller size. Model S is a beast.

Anyway, you can't go wrong with whatever Tesla you pick. :)

Reactions: Cowby
If your looking to trade for the eventual model Y you may want to go used 16/17 S 75D/85 etc. - far less deprecation. That'd be my choice for that reason alone. Everyone is so 3 crazy right now you can probably get a great deal on the "S".

Ditto. Have both Model S and Model 3 (and also Model X) and drive all 3 daily. Different cars, different purposes. All fun. Model 3 is zippy around town, easy to park, and well designed (cupholders, coat hangers, grocery bag latches). Model S is a tank with rocket engines, lots of storage, and lots of tech.

Here's a write up about the different versions of Model S. Tesla Advice Blog

Yes, an October 2016 to mid January 2017 Model S will have transferable free unlimited supercharging AND Autopilot Hardware 2.0 (and therefore upgradable to Hardware 3.0) so they're a nice unicorn if you can find one at a good price.

If coming from an SUV and you're use to the extra storage space, yes, makes more sense to get the Model S which has 30 cu ft vs the Model 3 which has about 15 cu ft. For comparison, your MKC has 25 cu ft. That said, Model 3 isn't bad and can handle a quite a bit with the rear seats down. Build quality is also better in a recent production Model 3. And of course, Model 3 is more efficient and easier to park due to its smaller size. Model S is a beast.

Anyway, you can't go wrong with whatever Tesla you pick. :)

I guess it is a unicorn I have searched everywhere and verified by looking at the car fax of which have sale dates most are before 08/2016 some are after 10/2016 and before 3/2017. Am I safe to assume any of these 2016 Model S that have the new bumper look also have AP hardware 2.0? I see some with the new bumber face but carfax says sale 08/2016 or 09/2016 though from what I hear its any Model S after 10/2016. All the ones that did match 10/2016 -03/2017 are like 58-65k. Which I only have a budget of 50k max 55k.

I guess it is a unicorn I have searched everywhere and verified by looking at the car fax of which have sale dates most are before 08/2016 some are after 10/2016 and before 3/2017. Am I safe to assume any of these 2016 Model S that have the new bumper look also have AP hardware 2.0? I see some with the new bumber face but carfax says sale 08/2016 or 09/2016 though from what I hear its any Model S after 10/2016. All the ones that did match 10/2016 -03/2017 are like 58-65k. Which I only have a budget of 50k max 55k.

Sale date won’t be accurate. Gotta find out the build date which is on the sticker on the driver’s door. I.e. a car delivered in November 2016 might have been built in August. There are 6 months of new bumper with AP1 so if you definitely want AP2, build date is critical. You can also tell visually if there are 8 cameras around the car.

Sale date won’t be accurate. Gotta find out the build date which is on the sticker on the driver’s door. I.e. a car delivered in November 2016 might have been built in August. There are 6 months of new bumper with AP1 so if you definitely want AP2, build date is critical. You can also tell visually if there are 8 cameras around the car.

Yeah some of the pictures include the sticker on the doors some say 10/16 and 12/16 all those are about 55-70k. Little high on my budget. I'd like to stay in 50-55. I am looking to buy May-June. Maybe one will come around for that price range around that time. I been reading and AP 1 vs AP 2 currently is not a huge difference right? But AP 2 will be able to be FSD

Yeah some of the pictures include the sticker on the doors some say 10/16 and 12/16 all those are about 55-70k. Little high on my budget. I'd like to stay in 50-55. I am looking to buy May-June. Maybe one will come around for that price range around that time. I been reading and AP 1 vs AP 2 currently is not a huge difference right? But AP 2 will be able to be FSD

I still prefer AP1 for its smoothness and predictability, but AP2 is getting better and better with every update. Yeah, give it another few months and those late 2016 AP2 cars might come into your price range.

I still prefer AP1 for its smoothness and predictability, but AP2 is getting better and better with every update. Yeah, give it another few months and those late 2016 AP2 cars might come into your price range.

Okay so I'm finding it hard to find the S with AP2 and unlimited super charging, anything newer doesn't have unlimited supercharging and they are above my 50-55k range. If I'm absolutely set on ultimately getting a model y say late 2020 or early 2021 and I go for a 2016 S with AP 1 unlimited free charging would I notice much difference between current model 3 and technology between now and 2020-2021? Im guessing no right? Ap2 and ap2.5 hasn't been fully pushed to fsd so enhanced ap and model s with ap1 is about the same level currently right? I saw AP1 even has summon. I have a Tesla supercharger literally 2 miles from home and between work and home so the money I would save on electric/gas would be 200 dollars a month in gas or 30-40 electric if I went with model 3 and charged it at home every time vs an S with free charging. My question is how do you think the depreciation will be on a 2016 model s 75D or 85D with AP 1 (new bumper face) I see them going on car gurus for like $42-52k with 20-40k miles. Guessing that still covered in original warrantee if I want to keep the car 1-2 years ?

I think over time the depreciation of all 2016's will be quite similar, even though there's a big difference between early, mid, and late 2016 cars. Those outside the Tesla community don't really understand the differences and will just go by the year of the car.

AP1 works great on the highway. If you don't care about full self driving, no need to look for AP2. A post-refresh AP1 car will be just fine and then you can upgrade to Model Y.

I think over time the depreciation of all 2016's will be quite similar, even though there's a big difference between early, mid, and late 2016 cars. Those outside the Tesla community don't really understand the differences and will just go by the year of the car.

AP1 works great on the highway. If you don't care about full self driving, no need to look for AP2. A post-refresh AP1 car will be just fine and then you can upgrade to Model Y.

So I see a cpo from Tesla 52k 2016 S 75D with AP 1 0-60 4.2 seconds. I see some from 3rd party similar config for 49-50k. I guess Tesla cpo adds that 2-3k which I would feel safer. Am I safe to bet that if I bought at 52k this model S and I put 5k down and changed it for Model Y in 18-24 months I would break even or maybe even trade in and get some money back if I do a 60-72 month loan on it? Will depreciation of this S put at at $40k 18-24 months later which I think would keep me right at break even, maybe get some cash for it after loan is paid by trade in, sale?

Also free supercharging I think would save me some. I was calculating 30-40 bucks a month charging at home at 9-10cents per kilowatt hour I think is what they charge here with my electric company. So I'm guessing it would be worth it considering there's a supercharger literally next to my job like 1 mile towards home.

So I see a cpo from Tesla 52k 2016 S 75D with AP 1 0-60 4.2 seconds. I see some from 3rd party similar config for 49-50k. I guess Tesla cpo adds that 2-3k which I would feel safer. Am I safe to bet that if I bought at 52k this model S and I put 5k down and changed it for Model Y in 18-24 months I would break even or maybe even trade in and get some money back if I do a 60-72 month loan on it? Will depreciation of this S put at at $40k 18-24 months later which I think would keep me right at break even, maybe get some cash for it after loan is paid by trade in, sale?

Also free supercharging I think would save me some. I was calculating 30-40 bucks a month charging at home at 9-10cents per kilowatt hour I think is what they charge here with my electric company. So I'm guessing it would be worth it considering there's a supercharger literally next to my job like 1 mile towards home.

Don’t really know about the depreciation curves for Model S. But would suggest that it’ll be hard to “come out ahead”. Plus we don’t know much about Model Y at this point. If you want an SUV, used Model X are in the low $60k range now.

Well now with these announcements, I am torn, they brought back the LR RWD and its 43000 without AP/FSD. It puts it at 51k with AP and FSD. I still probably would prefer the LR AWD its a little faster though the LR RWD has 325 range! Would I notice much difference in 0-60 from 5.0 and 4.5 sec?

I’d get the $37,000 car. That’s a crazy good deal and has about the the same range as a used Model S once you factor in degradation. 5.3s is plenty quick.

UGGHH decisions, what do I lose if I go for 37k version? Its 240 miles vs 264 on mid range and isn't the interior not as nice? Whats different from partial premium? Wonder how different the sound system will be? And I saw you don't get streaming internet music (which slacker sucks) and no live traffic :/ Leaning towards Mid Range AP and FSD or LR RWD AP FSD. Though that 37k does sound god if I want to trade in like 24 months for Y

UGGHH decisions, what do I lose if I go for 37k version? Its 240 miles vs 264 on mid range and isn't the interior not as nice? Whats different from partial premium? Wonder how different the sound system will be? And I saw you don't get streaming internet music (which slacker sucks) and no live traffic :/ Leaning towards Mid Range AP and FSD or LR RWD AP FSD. Though that 37k does sound god if I want to trade in like 24 months for Y

Main differences (reading between the lines) is you lose the subwoofer and some speakers, satellite view on the maps, and web browser.