Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel like I am taking the bait but no one on here accused anyone or is whining. People are just genuinely concerned the direction tesla is going on certain things. Over the past year Tesla has gotten rid of many features and accessories. Off the top of my head they have gotten rid of:
Radar
Mobile Charger
Lumbar Passenger support
License Plate Frame
US sensors
USB data drives
Lifetime standard connectivity (and premium connectivity)
Lifetime supercharging
Supercharging credits

Now some of these things are related to FSD and may be an attempt to make the cars better in the future (radar, USS). No one should really be upset about this but people can rightly be concerned that they are taking two steps back without really showing a clear path forward (yet). In additon, people can absolutely be upset if they paid FSD 15k and are now finding out most of the features will not be available with the car for an indeterminate amount of time. Might be weeks, might be months but who knows? All they know is that they will NOT have it with their car yet they still are out the money on delivery.

Other things like discontinuing free supercharging, connectivity etc are ok in my opinion. Those things were gimmicks and there was no way they could sustain that as their customer base grew. That type of stuff is just promotional things companies do when they are new and growing. As they mature with a substantial customer base those things go away since they are no longer financially stable. This is a grey area but most people seem to accept it and are ok with it.

Finally thought come taking away things like license plate frames, usb data drives, and mobile charger. Yes these things are not essential to the car at all. And yes they don't cost that much in the grand scheme of the car. However, these are the finishing touches that people appreciate. They are what make people see the difference between a "luxury" car company and one that is trying to squeeze a little bit more money out of each order. In isolation these things are not that important. But together they start to paint a picture that some people are concerned about. Why did people get upset when the license plate went away? Its just a 5$ piece of plastic. This is true but psychologically thats what gets people. They know their is no reason for it to be left off the car except to save some money. It also means that people now have to go to an extra step to "complete" the car if they so choose. It just leaves a bad taste in a customer's mouth. It also makes people worried that Tesla will gradually cut out more and more things. This is a legitimate concern.

I have tried to delineate the points that were being discussed in case anyone wants to meaningfully contribute. Although at this point though I do agree this conversation has run its course. I simply wanted to set the record straight that I was by no means attacking anyone for having a different opinion and if it came across that way I apologize.

And I'm glad you agree with me. Contributing complaint after complaint is not very helpful to anyone.

Let's stick to what this thread is really about. The ordering and delivery process.

I'm sure Tesla has a customer service email you can lodge all your complaints with.
Currently this forum is essentially moved away from that purpose. There are no new LR orders and likely will not be for the rest of the year. As such there are really no new people to come in here asking basic delivery questions. Thus tnhis forum has kind of evolved into a general discussion forum. IDK if it will always remain that way but it is what it is now.

This has been a very mature forum in my opinion with very intelligent people who have very insightful conversations about Tesla as a company and their products. I really like this forum over some other (r/) forums where people either blindly trash or praise the company and product.

Of course your opinion is welcome here and I (and others) are happy to debate and discuss. Discussing issues/concerns and trying to find a reasonable solution is a signifcant part of what makes this forum enjoyable

Currently this forum is essentially moved away from that purpose. There are no new LR orders and likely will not be for the rest of the year. As such there are really no new people to come in here asking basic delivery questions. Thus tnhis forum has kind of evolved into a general discussion forum. IDK if it will always remain that way but it is what it is now.

This has been a very mature forum in my opinion with very intelligent people who have very insightful conversations about Tesla as a company and their products. I really like this forum over some other (r/) forums where people either blindly trash or praise the company and product.

Of course your opinion is welcome here and I (and others) are happy to debate and discuss. Discussing issues/concerns and trying to find a reasonable solution is a signifcant part of what makes this forum enjoyable
Bravo, glad you agree. Smell the roses over here. They are really nice. Bravo, chap!

@ZZ118

To be frank, my brother, I am in the wrong chat group.

My wife is the one who ordered a M3RWD. I have a reservation for a cyber truck that I hope to see in 2026. Until then I will ride my Harley and look at possibly adding a Livewire Del Mar to the mix. New electric bike that is supposed to ship next spring. I also have a reservation for that as well.

Peace!

Wow..looks like I opened a whole can of worms there.

I don’t want to speak for others, but I feel that it is ok for people to be upset about this. For myself, I’m upset because of how this was carried out. When we placed our orders the website very clearly stated the sensor suite included ultrasonic sensors. For them to suddenly take that away and not notify the customers who has placed the orders is disingenuous. It would be one thing if we ordered knowing that this was going to be missing.

For example I ordered knowing the mobile connectors are now separate, so I’m ok with that. What I’m not okay with is them suddenly taking something that was initially listed on the website, not notifying us (we all found out from other sources leading to the Tesla press release) and changing the website as if it never existed.

I have a new LR order which I am eagerly waiting for!

I was assigned a VIN after a long wait with delivery scheduled the very same date that I was flying out of the country, so I decided to put the order on hold. I was promised by Tesla that I would be assigned a new VIN as priority as soon the hold is lifted and I won't be shafted to the "back of the line". As it turns out, that was not accurate as my EDD has now shifted to Nov - Dec, 2022.

The recent move by Tesla to remove sensors, although not ideal, does not affect me or motivate me to even consider cancelling the order. I test drove a RWD (my first Tesla drive), some weeks ago and absolutely loved the feel of the car, granted I have never driven an EV before, or any new car for that matter as I am currently dragging a beaten up SUV that is approaching 300,000 miles!

Sounds like you don't have the phone key set up at all. So you're unlocking it via cellular/ WiFi through the phone app.

Hmmm....they are both set up as a phone key. There seems to be some sort of issue that is intermittent. Zero issues last night and today when my wife drove to work and back. I will do some more troubleshooting but will probably bring it in to the center to have it looked at. Ill keep everyone posted on what we find out :) Thanks for replying.....once it gets sorted we will be good to go! Appreciate the help!

Reactions: Zane Liu
Hmmm....they are both set up as a phone key. There seems to be some sort of issue that is intermittent. Zero issues last night and today when my wife drove to work and back. I will do some more troubleshooting but will probably bring it in to the center to have it looked at. Ill keep everyone posted on what we find out :) Thanks for replying.....once it gets sorted we will be good to go! Appreciate the help!
Just for clarification - those are two different systems (the phone key and pressing the unlock icon in the app).

One thing that's definitely important for the phone key is to ensure your device isn't "optimizing for battery" the Tesla app. Android or iPhone? For Android if I let the phone optimize for battery, it essentially freezes the Tesla app when it's not actively used. Googling for this problem will yield many solutions for this. It does help, but it's still not perfect.

FWIW, I have not had any phantom braking incidents since taking delivery of my car. Twice a week on the freeway to Scottsdale from Chandler using autopilot.
Yes I have 4,000 miles now, with probably 60% of those on standard autopilot. Haven’t had any phantom braking yet. Roads around here are terrible in general- patchy (from pothole filling), uneven with varying shades/textures, trees giving inconsistent lighting, really work lane markings, and tons of overpasses to drive under.

All I would really fault is when the car ahead slows to turn off the road I think autopilot slows to maintain an unecessarily large buffer. If I were not using autopilot I would tend to trust that the slowing car is going to continue to move further out of my path and let my follow distance reduce. Autopilot tries to maintain the set follow distance (I keep it at 5) until the car ahead is 100% out of the lane.

Just for clarification - those are two different systems (the phone key and pressing the unlock icon in the app).

One thing that's definitely important for the phone key is to ensure your device isn't "optimizing for battery" the Tesla app. Android or iPhone? For Android if I let the phone optimize for battery, it essentially freezes the Tesla app when it's not actively used. Googling for this problem will yield many solutions for this. It does help, but it's still not perfect.
Thanks! We checked this. One phone is my android and the other is my wife's iPhone.

It seems like more of an issue with my wife's iPhone and less so with my Android Samsung phone. We might try another solution which I found was do uninstall the apps on both phones and add them back on. Will report back! Thanks again for all your help!

Yes I have 4,000 miles now, with probably 60% of those on standard autopilot. Haven’t had any phantom braking yet. Roads around here are terrible in general- patchy (from pothole filling), uneven with varying shades/textures, trees giving inconsistent lighting, really work lane markings, and tons of overpasses to drive under.

All I would really fault is when the car ahead slows to turn off the road I think autopilot slows to maintain an unecessarily large buffer. If I were not using autopilot I would tend to trust that the slowing car is going to continue to move further out of my path and let my follow distance reduce. Autopilot tries to maintain the set follow distance (I keep it at 5) until the car ahead is 100% out of the lane.
Interesting. I’ve had a few (not many) phantom brakes on the highway here in California. Most instances I think it was because the car the lane over was getting close to crossing over accidentally. One or two seemed completely random. I wonder if it’s from the following distance but will need to test. California highways do feel tighter and drivers are also notoriously not great at keeping in their lane, which I myself may not notice as I’m used to it.

Reactions: rrsrsr
How many people crying foul about no mobile connector also buy new iPhones with no charger and take it on the chin?
I wondered what the LR waiting room would be doing with the recent order stoppage!
This is not an apples to apples comparison.

iPhones have been out for years and years and it’s reasonable for people to expect to have some chargers at home already. The adoption rate for EVs are not high enough to have the same expectation. Also there are far more certified third party choices for phone chargers than a portable Tesla mobile charger.

How many people crying foul about no mobile connector also buy new iPhones with no charger and take it on the chin?
I wondered what the LR waiting room would be doing with the recent order stoppage!
I have never been to an Apple store that did not have chargers in stock to take home with your phone for the $19 fee (oh and it is 4 times the speed of the chargers they included in the past). Tesla did drop the price on the chargers but multiple people have been sent home with no way to charge their car and those included people that ordered the charger with the car order....

Last edited:
Reactions: Mob Dee
I have never been to an Apple store that did not have chargers in stock to take home with your car for the $19 fee (oh and it is 4 times the speed of the chargers they included in the past). Tesla did drop the price on the chargers but multiple people have been sent home with no way to charge their car and those included people that order the charger with the car order....
I love you guys 🤣😂!

You are right. People all over the country the last couple of months who got their Teslas without a mobile connector were stranded.

Makes me sick. I drove by three poor saps on I85 who ran out of juice on their way home from the Tesla service center where they picked up their car.

I would have stopped to lend them a hand but at the time I still haven't received my mobile connector and was low on gas myself.

The next day I saw all of the cars still stranded with signs on the windshield reading, "Help"

CNN had a big story about how this was sweeping the nation. Terrible.

Back on topic.

Now that Tesla has changed over to 2023 models. It looks like M3 Performance are shipping daily, M3 Base are the second half of October at earliest, what about M3 LR.

Could everyone here that is waiting on a LR check in with your current EDD, config, and delivery center:

10/31 - 12/5, M3 LR White/Black/Aero/AP, Tampa, FL

So it's clearly not a "money grab" or they'd happily sell you one. It's a supply shortage.

We can blame Tesla for the supply shortage I guess, but they didn't create COVID (Donald Trump did, right? Or was it Joe Biden?).

What Tesla *did* do was the smart thing - they stopped handing mobile connectors out with every single car, where a large number of them would sit unused in the undertrunk (mine included).

Reactions: Mob Dee
So it's clearly not a "money grab" or they'd happily sell you one. It's a supply shortage.

We can blame Tesla for the supply shortage I guess, but they didn't create COVID (Donald Trump did, right? Or was it Joe Biden?).

What Tesla *did* do was the smart thing - they stopped handing mobile connectors out with every single car, where a large number of them would sit unused in the undertrunk (mine included).
Right on, Brady bunch.

Tesla cars are constantly reporting back to Tesla. All types of information. Including how the car is being charged, be it super charger, wall charger, mobile connector 14-50 plug or your standard wall socket. It knows how much juice its drawing and so does Tesla.

Tesla crunched the numbers and determine that most people never used the mobile connector and how wasteful to the environment Tesla was being by unnecessarily manufacturing more than they needed.

Of course, the supply chain issues and chip shortages propelled Tesla to have a looksee at this data, but nonetheless this is what they say.

Now, whether you think Tesla saw this as an opportunity to fleece the sheep or saw this as an opportunity do good by the environment or saw this as a means to an end to hedge off the shortage and still deliver cars.... Well I guess that's really a question about yourself and what you really think of Tesla.

Cheers!